Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++ info for MSc ?

Options
  • 04-02-2009 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some opinions on the C++ content below,it will be in a masters im hoping to do this year and was wondering is this basic C++ or advanced...i have not done any programming before and wondered would it be considered heavy for a newbie? Thanks

To introduce the C++ language and develop C++ programming skills.[/FONT]

Basic C++; syntax and semantics of the C++ procedural subset. Objects and Classes; what a C++ object is and how it is defined by the use of a C++ Class. The use of C++ classes to represent abstract data types. Function and Operator Overloading: function polymorphism. Inheritance and Polymorphism: software re-use via inheritance, object polymorphism. Input and Output: introduction to the iostream library. Memory Management: the new and delete operators: memory leaks and the use of programs such as "purify" to detect them. Templates: class and function templates as a way of writing reusable software. Exception handling: throw, try and catch. The Standard Template Library: introduction to the components and their use. The ANSI/ISO Standard. Development Environments; Debuggers, Profilers, Browsers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

That's for beginners.

A lot of people have difficulty getting their head around object oriented programming (C++ is an "object oriented" language.) It's actually an easy enough concept, but I think it causes "mental block" for some people, just like the way a lot of people's brains shut down when they see anything mathematical.

It would be worth your while learning the basics of programming before the course. A book I like (it's a Java book and it explains object oriented programming in detail) is http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Java-Objects-Concepts-Code/dp/1861004176

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

AARRRGH wrote: »
    That's for beginners.
    A lot of people have difficulty getting their head around object oriented programming (C++ is an "object oriented" language.) It's actually an easy enough concept, but I think it causes "mental block" for some people, just like the way a lot of people's brains shut down when they see anything mathematical.

It can be difficult to get your head around the concept, but if its presented correctly you shouldn't have any issue with it. Where are you doing the masters?

It would be worth your while learning the basics of programming before the course. A book I like (it's a Java book and it explains object oriented programming in detail) is http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Java-Objects-Concepts-Code/dp/1861004176

+1

Yea to get ready for doing the course it would be worth while doing some basic C and Java programs. Get an IDE & Compiler for both and write some small applications. If your starting from basics, write a "hello world" application, then work on keyboard input and doing some calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

That's for beginners.

That book is definitely not compensating with its cover :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

It can be difficult to get your head around the concept, but if its presented correctly you shouldn't have any issue with it.

+1, I knew all this stuff going into programming lectures and was shocked at how badly it was explained

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

grasshopa wrote: »
    +1, I knew all this stuff going into programming lectures and was shocked at how badly it was explained

Yea when i first done OOP 11 years ago it was explained using apples and oranges and made no sense what so ever... :confused:

But when i done my MSc the lecture was excellent.

He used the example of a "bank account" as the base class.
    Then from that you could create a deposit account (has an interest rate + gains interest) and a current account (which allows an negative balance i.e. an overdraft), by inheriting from the basic "bank account"... Then finally multiple inheritance was demonstrated by generating a "cash save" account, which has features of both the "current account" and "deposit account".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yea when i first done OOP 11 years ago it was explained using apples and oranges and made no sense what so ever... :confused:

But when i done my MSc the lecture was excellent.

He used the example of a "bank account" as the base class.
    Then from that you could create a deposit account (has an interest rate + gains interest) and a current account (which allows an negative balance i.e. an overdraft), by inheriting from the basic "bank account"... Then finally multiple inheritance was demonstrated by generating a "cash save" account, which has features of both the "current account" and "deposit account".
    Yep that is a fairly standard explanation these days. The bank account version was taught to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DeJaMo

What kind of masters are you doing?

This sounds rather basic for a masters...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

DeJaMo wrote: »
    What kind of masters are you doing?

This sounds rather basic for a masters...
    I'm guessing its a taught masters and that is only a single module out of a good few - other wise I'll be going to do that masters!

Advertisement