Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of rented accommodation

Options
  • 04-02-2009 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I signed a 9 month contract for a house with 3 other people but now I want to move out and I am in 5 months into the contract. How much notice do I have to give and am I still entitled to my deposit? 3 of us signed the same contract to pay 1500 for the house a month but if I move out will the other 3 people have to still pay that amount?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

As you have signed a 9 month contract you can't just move out. You will still have to pay the last four months. The LL has no obligation to let you out of the contract (and these days he most likely won't without a replacement).

If you just leave you will loose your deposit, and your housemates will most likely as well ("one for all and all for one" and all that).

You might be able to get out of it if you can find the LL a new tenant that takes over your existing lease. But you would still have to pay to the day any new tenant moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

A Lease is a legal contract, and in the current climate, I would not be surprised if the landlord chased you for the remaining rent due. If your housemates, were willing to pay the excess, I would see no problem, but would doubt very much they would do that.

Advertisement