Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unwanted book

Options
  • 04-02-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello..

I have an unwanted book.. maybe you guys are best suited to help me.. moved into an apartment and there was a bunch of books left behind by the previous tenant (now unreachable and looks like has since left Ireland)

One of these books stuck is a 1935 copy of Mein Kampf. Now my first reaction is to burn the thing but I am wondering if anyone knows of some library or college that might be interested in it ?

Due to the background of this book I'm not accepting any offers for it or going to give it to an individual - so please do not ask... this is not for sale, I'm not selling it....I will post names of people who attempt to ask for this!!

Would a college library or anything even be interested ? otherwise it's going in the fire as I don't want the thing in my gaff a second more .. it kinda gives me the creeps !

Thanks
    -O-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Burn it,

there is enough of that book around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aghastlrbaboon

The Chester Beatty Library has a great collection of rare books so if you're anyway inclined in having someone preserve the book as a piece of history it would probably be best with them.
    pshalloo@cbl.ie seems to be the address for donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Would a college library or anything even be interested ? otherwise it's going in the fire as I don't want the thing in my gaff a second more .. it kinda gives me the creeps !

Thanks
    -O-

Burning books you say ? I seem to recall something like that happening at some stage in history ...

http://www.amazon.com/Mein-Kampf-Adolf-Hitler/dp/817224164X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233770372&sr=8-1

Is the amazon link for the book

1: give it to a library ...
    2: sell it and give the proceeds to charity ?

Its a book not an object to fear

(personally no interest in reading it .. I prefer sci fi but I wouldn't make it out to be more than it is ... the opinions of 1 person ... who unfortunately went on to ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

A FFS thats a bit of an overreaction in fairness, its only a book at the end of the day not hitler himself in your living room.

Drop it into a charity shop (anon if you wish). Its a shame to be sticking books in the fire when someone else can read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

The Chester Beatty Library has a great collection of rare books so if you're anyway inclined in having someone preserve the book as a piece of history it would probably be best with them.
    pshalloo@cbl.ie seems to be the address for donations.

Good idea...

Again it would already be a pile of ashes only it is actually a copy from 1935

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

At the risk of sounding like taht i decry
    burn it

The experience will be cathartic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Good idea...

Again it would already be a pile of ashes only it is actually a copy from 1935

Is it a first edition and what language is it in? I'm sure UCD, UCG or UCC will happily take it off your hands anyway.

As for burning it, well, forbairt has covered that already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Suggesting burning it, those of you who were serious, is ridiculous.

Burning it solves nothing, making it something for future generations to learn from and to ensure such an atrosity is never repeated, is however the best solution.

burning it may be cathartic, but in all honesty, its dumb.

The National Museum I'm sure will take it off your hands, www.museum.ie.

Don't burn it, whatever else you may want to do with it!

I'd steer clear of giving it to a library too, I'd say someone would check it out just to do the same thing.

No, if you really can't bear to have it around, pass it onto the museum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Museum all the way. It would be completely and utterly hypocritical to burn that of all books. It's a piece of history and history needs to be remembered and not buried. Otherwise history will repeat itself and we don't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Due to the background of this book I'm not accepting any offers for it or going to give it to an individual - so please do not ask... this is not for sale, I'm not selling it....I will post names of people who attempt to ask for this!!

I wouldn't mind finding out what the most charismatic, psychotic man in history was thinking and so wouldn't mind reading his book. I don't understand what you posted above....the book itself isn't evil, the man who wrote it is. You've threatened to post peoples names who attempt to ask for the book....do you not see the irony in that?

I will post names of people who attempt to ask for this!!

Oh and for the record, wanting to read Mein Kampf does not equal being a nazi. Threatening to post names of those interested is, like threatening to burn the book, exactly what was done in Germany in the 1930s! Burn the books, make a list of undesirables and...

To be honest, I probably would read it if I found it in an apartment when I moved in. I'd like to think I've a strong enough idea of right and wrong not to be swayed by the arguments of a genocidal madman.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

can I have it?

John wrote: »
    Oh and for the record, wanting to read Mein Kampf does not equal being a nazi. Threatening to post names of those interested is, like threatening to burn the book, exactly what was done in Germany in the 1930s! Burn the books, make a list of undesirables and...

To be honest, I probably would read it if I found it in an apartment when I moved in. I'd like to think I've a strong enough idea of right and wrong not to be swayed by the arguments of a genocidal madman.

;-) I see your point. But some people do take this very very seriously - as in if it were considered reselling nazi 'memorabilia' - so didn't want to go near any such sensitivities and I didn't want eejits coming asking for it either...

this book is original 1935, it's in German with the old-school typeface and nazi logo on the front cover... and why I'm asking you guys for advice it's certainly a peice of history - but i hope you can see what im also trying to avoid !

Oh yeah, I understand totally. I really do think your best bet is to give it to a museum. That way legitimate researchers can access it and you've no worry of who's buying it.

;-) I see your point. But some people do take this very very seriously - as in if it were considered reselling nazi 'memorabilia' - so didn't want to go near any such sensitivities and I didn't want eejits coming asking for it either...

I have some Nazi "memorabilia", though I prefer the term militaria.

It doesn't make me a Nazi, or a holocaust denier, or anything of that nature. I do understand where you're coming from however.

Donate it to the museum, they'd should be more than happy to take this little piece of history off of your hands. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Burning Mein Kampf

Kind of ironic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's not signed, is it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭quincyk

this book is original 1935, it's in German with the old-school typeface and nazi logo on the front cover... and why I'm asking you guys for advice it's certainly a peice of history - but i hope you can see what im also trying to avoid !

Jesus wept; what are you on about, man!?

Unless you're a jew, which I doubt, why are you so worried about giving the book away? It's sold in every book-shop throughout Europe. In fact, it's even studied in various Universities throughout the World - to suggest giving it away to someone is offensive is absolutely preposterous!

Think about it.

Oh, and yes, I'll have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

If I were you I'd sell it. This 1935 edition with text in German blackletter (sounds like your edition) is going for $277.71 on abebooks.com.http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=607391063&searchurl=kn%3D1935%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dmein%2Bkampf%26x%3D43%26y%3D15

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

I agree with everyone who said you shouldnt burn it.
    Give it to a library or to a museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Quartet

Ok this might sound strange & I'm not taking the proverbial

Donation to a museum would be a good idea

My grandmother was Jewish so I feel I can make this suggestion

donate it to Irish Jewish Museum

Here

It will put it out of harms way yet can be used to illustrate the harm that it caused...[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I'll take it, really what is the fuss it's a book.
    or for fun you could set it free...

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I will post names of people who attempt to ask for this!!

Yeah, please do, so we can round them up and gas them :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ.

Maybe you should trade this book in for a copy of Fahrenheit 451?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

Have any of ye actually read "Mein Kampf"?
    It is by far and away the most boring book ever written, Hess could not edit a book to save his life. And Hitler's problems and thoughts are not exactly original or interesting, they are merely regurgitated babel of the time. I would burn this book not because its "evil" or it sparked the Nazi Empire or its persuasive, I would merely burn this book because it is so bad. SO, SO BAD! However I am against censorship, I am against the protecting the masses, I am a libertarian at heart. I would ask of you to consider handing the books into a second hand book shop, these places are amazing and they allow cheap affordable access to books.

And for any good old racists out there, whoever you may be, or for those with a curiosity for other people's state of minds (like myself), here are a few more well written books on anti-semitism and good old fashion racisms:
    Hitler's War - David Irving
    Churchill's War - David Irving
    An Essay on the Inequality of the Human Race - Arthur Gobineau
    The Passing of the Great Race - Madison Grant
    The g Factor: the Science of Mental Ability - Arthur Jensen

Just please don't put yourself through the rigmarole of reading that trash that Hitler wrote.

Update: I gave the book into the Chester Beaty library and they were glad to get it given the year/edition/condition of the book...

Advertisement