Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps 3.0

• 04-02-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

New version of Google maps out - it has a location tracker ("Lattitude") built in. You can see where your friends are, and get directions to their location.

Just go to m.google.com on your phone's native browser to download.

Rather fetching application I must say, might not suit everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Works wonders on Symbian phones, the java version is not out yet, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Looks like, at the moment, Lattitude will run on

S60, most WinMo 5 or better, most Blackberry and Android (for the lucky nerdlings)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

long_b wrote: »
    New version of Google maps out - it has a location tracker ("Lattitude") built in. You can see where your friends are, and get directions to their location.

Just go to m.google.com on your phone's native browser to download.

Rather fetching application I must say, might not suit everyone.

How does it track your friends?
    Sounds interesting, if a little big brother. :)

I wonder if it's paltry irish POI database has improved.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Although a great product, and disregarding the privacy concerns already being discussed all over the Internet, how many people within this country would actually use the service, wish to incur additional data charges and have a Windows Mobile 5 and above, new Blackberry or Series 60 handset?

I imagine the postpaid iPhone users on O2, when the service is available for them, will find the service more useful, since they have an included data bundle, but what about all the people who don’t? I can’t imagine a service like this taking off in this country now on mobile devices, however, I would be very interested if in fact it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

mkennedy wrote: »

Thanks.

It works with iGoogle! Both(or however many) parties have to sign up and agree to be 'located' by whoever wants to 'track' them!
    But, yes, nonetheless: I'd have some privacy concerns, too!

As to rsaeire's comments: it's not that expensive/data intensive! Even with vodafone's (or other networks') prepay 50mb/99cent it's useable! And there are quite a 'few' s60 and wm devices around...hello: I see n95 all the time!
    If you use google maps apps anyway, this doesn't add much in terms of extra data transfer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

strecker wrote: »
    It works with iGoogle! Both(or however many) parties have to sign up and agree to be 'located' by whoever wants to 'track' them!

Cheers.
    I take it it's via triangulation of the mobile signal (or whatever you call it), not an actual exact gps co-ordinate from a gps-enabled handset?
    Still.. pretty crazy stuff.

But, yes, nonetheless: I'd have some privacy concerns, too!

As to rsaeire's comments: it's not that expensive/data intensive! Even with vodafone's (or other networks') prepay 50mb/99cent it's useable! And there are quite a 'few' s60 and wm devices around...hello: I see n95 all the time!
    If you use google maps apps anyway, this doesn't add much in terms of extra data transfer!

I agree with regard to the N95 and the operators' prepaid pricing, but there are still a lot of postpaid customers who would be out of pocket.

A lot of people wouldn't use Google maps, so in order to use the location service they will end up incurring data charges that they wouldn’t have before. You see this “bill shock” phenomenon across the board with all the networks, so this is just another example of how things can go awry.

As I said in my previous comment, it will be interesting to see who things play out with this service. Either way, our privacy is becoming less and less our own and this will increase even more with the advent of future tecnhnology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I agree with regard to the N95 and the operators' prepaid pricing, but there are still a lot of postpaid customers who would be out of pocket.

A lot of people wouldn't use Google maps, so in order to use the location service they will end up incurring data charges that they wouldn’t have before. You see this “bill shock” phenomenon across the board with all the networks, so this is just another example of how things can go awry.

As I said in my previous comment, it will be interesting to see who things play out with this service. Either way, our privacy is becoming less and less our own and this will increase even more with the advent of future tecnhnology.

Oh, alright! I agree - I keep forgetting how outrageous some postpaid tariffs are!
    Privacy is dying, and it's not funny, and partly I blame the people who don't mind spreading their face all over the web, who think mobile banking is great, and who tweet their way out of an elevator!

Oh, alright! I agree - I keep forgetting how outrageous some postpaid tariffs are!
    Privacy is dying, and it's not funny, and partly I blame the people who don't mind spreading their face all over the web, who think mobile banking is great, and who tweet their way out of an elevator!

That and the likes of Bebo, MySpace, Facebook etc means privacy is becoming a thing of the past. Let's not forget about RFID chips being put into everything too. You said privacy is dying? To me, it seems like it's pretty much dead.

Thanks.
    Well it uses the POIs and other landmark info from the normal Google Maps so you get the same as on the computer.

• Advertisement

Cheers.
    I take it it's via triangulation of the mobile signal (or whatever you call it), not an actual exact gps co-ordinate from a gps-enabled handset?
    Still.. pretty crazy stuff.
    Yep it does, usually 800-100 metres proximity.

It works with iGoogle!
    Yes it does work great if you have Google Gears installed. That way the triangulation from the mobile masts can be made on the computer as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Although a great product, and disregarding the privacy concerns already being discussed all over the Internet, how many people within this country would actually use the service, wish to incur additional data charges and have a Windows Mobile 5 and above, new Blackberry or Series 60 handset?

I imagine the postpaid iPhone users on O2, when the service is available for them, will find the service more useful, since they have an included data bundle, but what about all the people who don’t? I can’t imagine a service like this taking off in this country now on mobile devices, however, I would be very interested if in fact it did.
    my company has started to give out nokia e65s.....they have gps tracker in the vans already......can they track u without you knowing, can you disable it from handset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

scully74 wrote: »
    my company has started to give out nokia e65s.....they have gps tracker in the vans already......can they track u without you knowing, can you disable it from handset

They can only track the phone.............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

nipplenuts wrote: »
    They can only track the phone.............
    f**k that:mad:......how can you tell its switched on and in auto-detect
    give me the steps to check:cool:...please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,007 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If your company are suppling the phones and paying the bill they can put what they want onto the phone and there is very little you can do about it. It is their properity. Read your contract carefully if you do try and remove the software, just like you can't rip the GPS tracker out out of your company supplied vehicle, as you will be interferring with their properity

Only real way to avoid it is to buy your own phone and not use their phone or let them pay your bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What I'm saying is, if they are already tracking the van, leave the phone in the van at all times - charging in the hands free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Installed this on e51, but can't get it to work (previous versions worked perfectly).

When I try and open the app, the screen just blinks and goes back to the apps folder.:confused:

Anyone have any issues like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just to bring this one up again as I really got to use it the last couple of days. I really love this program.

Does anyone know how much data it uses when it's running in the background to update your location? I'd assume it's less than a KB each time as surely it only sends a set of coordinates or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

It still won't work on my e51, after uninstalling and reinstalling several times :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Courtesy of the good people at AAS

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10160_Layers_added_to_Google_Maps_fo.php

This afternoon, Google has quietly released an updated version of the S60 version of its Google Maps for Mobile application. The new version, 3.2.0, adds a 'Layers' feature which helps organise the information displayed on top of the map (including the existing Latitude, Driving Directions and Traffic functionality). However, Layers also gives access to some entirely new information including Transit Lines (e.g. London Underground), Wikipedia and My Maps (user generated content) overlays. Read on for more details and screenshots...

The Wikipedia layer for Dublin city center is a bit sparse but that'll only get better over time. Could be very handy for sight seeing on hols.

Advertisement