Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Firefox portable on a secured lan

• 04-02-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭

Can any techie out there advise me? The company I work for locks down their PCs to users - no admin rights

We all have to use IE7 for internet access

I prefer firefox

I can drop it onto my C drive and run it from there, (USB drives have no write permissions) but connection settings under IE7 are also locked down and not viewable.

Is there any way to detect the proxy settings in use so I can apply them to Firefox? I'm not looking to bypass proxy servers or anything (access to anonymous proxy servers is also restricted), just to use my preferred browser!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

If you attempt to bypass Corporate security and are caught you can expect to be on the dole queue, do you really want to use firefox that much to risk it ?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you would like to use it, see about getting it added to the installation by IT. Bear in mind once it is installed, you may not be able to install add ons etc.

Maybe you can get them all to switch. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'd try to find one of those 'Firefox vs IE' type websites that list various security benefits of running Firefox and point management to it, see if they're convinced.

If your IT dept is any use, most of them probably already use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ComputerMad

what about trying
    http://portableapps.com/
    it lets you run firefox from a usb pen drive

Advertisement