Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD Industrial Design

• 04-02-2009 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Is anyone else thinking about applying for Industrial Design in NCAD? If so, how are you set for the portfolio interview in April?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rockerstienbeft

Whoa, looks like there's a lot of competition for this course from boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

what does NCAD stand for???

National College of Art and Design

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

aaaaaaaaahhhhh i see!!!:L and where is that???

Thomas Street in town, neeaar enough temple bar.

Map

• Advertisement

So noone else on boards is going in to the interview next week? (or has done it already)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LYDIABANK

:D how did u get on with the interview after? im doing one in april!

I think it went pretty good, I got in! They're really quite sound about the interview, so long as you have an interest in the subject! Best of luck for two weeks time, you'll do grand!

thanks :) any tips for the portfolio or questions to prepare?

Your enthusiasm should be all you need! knowledge of a few famous designers, interest in how things function, really depends on what you're into, Furniture design, product design, mechanical design, they're all suitable. If you did Tech G or DCG, bring in some technical drawings or solidworks printouts, that sorto thing. Be confident in the work that you're bringing in, the interviewers are generally quite sound. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Great :) thanks a million for your help. i have some technical drawings and auto cad drawings in my portfolio , interview is tomorrow! woohoo! thanks again :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Selohesra007

Your enthusiasm should be all you need! knowledge of a few famous designers, interest in how things function, really depends on what you're into, Furniture design, product design, mechanical design, they're all suitable. If you did Tech G or DCG, bring in some technical drawings or solidworks printouts, that sorto thing. Be confident in the work that you're bringing in, the interviewers are generally quite sound. Best of luck!

Had mine today;).... when do you find out roughly if you got in or not? And was/is 1st year a bit of crack, intense, awful or mix of all!?!:p

Had mine today;).... when do you find out roughly if you got in or not? And was/is 1st year a bit of crack, intense, awful or mix of all!?!:p

How did you get on in your interview? i had mine on the wednesday! everyone seemed confident enough, but i got asked to describe how a hoover worked..really put me on the spot! was able to give a general description. very general at that....:confused::confused::eek:

LYDIABANK wrote: »
    How did you get on in your interview? i had mine on the wednesday! everyone seemed confident enough, but i got asked to describe how a hoover worked..really put me on the spot! was able to give a general description. very general at that....:confused::confused::eek:

haha I think i got on well but sure ye never know wit these things, they asked if i was at the open day and i said i wasnt so that might be bad...:confused: was there much people applying at the interviews on wednesday?

haha I think i got on well but sure ye never know wit these things, they asked if i was at the open day and i said i wasnt so that might be bad...:confused: was there much people applying at the interviews on wednesday?

I think they asked me that too actually,i was at it about 2 years ago! well there was a staedy flow of people coming and going. They also asked me what products need to be improved on...:cool: do you know how many places there are?

No idea, cant see it on their website either... we are told before the leavin cert if we are in or not aren't we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cushy101

No idea, cant see it on their website either... we are told before the leavin cert if we are in or not aren't we?

I did my interview for ind.des. a week ago, I asked my careers guidence teacher about the course and apparently we should get a letter in a few weeks telling us if we have been accepted into the college and then we just have to get the minimum requirements to get in! Im ****ing ten times more stressed about that letter than my leaving now, but if you get in, the leaving is gonna be pimps!:cool:

cushy101 wrote: »
    I did my interview for ind.des. a week ago, I asked my careers guidence teacher about the course and apparently we should get a letter in a few weeks telling us if we have been accepted into the college and then we just have to get the minimum requirements to get in! Im ****ing ten times more stressed about that letter than my leaving now, but if you get in, the leaving is gonna be pimps!:cool:

Yeah results are out in May i think :) i have my leaving cert already done but i dont have the maths for it......i was reading the entry requirements and it says bla bla bla maths OR ......bit confused about the OR BIT.....:confused::confused::confused:

Grade B3 or Higher in Ordinary Level Mathematics (Grade D3 Higher Level Maths is acceptable)

OR

One of the following subjects at Grade D3 on a Higher Level paper or C3 or higher on an Ordinary Level paper: Applied Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Physics with Chemistry, Engineering, Construction Studies, Agricultural Science, Technical Drawing, Biology or applicants may be accepted on the basis of exceptional talent or industrial experience supported by a portfolio of personal work...

This is what is on the web site! Seems doable! chances are you did at least one of those subjects!:D There doesn't seem to be too many places though!

Grade B3 or Higher in Ordinary Level Mathematics (Grade D3 Higher Level Maths is acceptable)

OR

One of the following subjects at Grade D3 on a Higher Level paper or C3 or higher on an Ordinary Level paper: Applied Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Physics with Chemistry, Engineering, Construction Studies, Agricultural Science, Technical Drawing, Biology or applicants may be accepted on the basis of exceptional talent or industrial experience supported by a portfolio of personal work...

This is what is on the web site! Seems doable! chances are you did at least one of those subjects!:D There doesn't seem to be too many places though!

Thanks :D i did biology.id say that will come in handy for industrial design ha...

• Advertisement

I'd say only a few more stressful days till we know...

I got my letter today...im all confused........im number 9 on a waiting list....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

My letter says i have been offered a place as long as i meet the minimum entry requirements:D I think it means thats the number of people who will have to fail or drop out before they offer you a place, but im still kinda unsure if this is the actual offer and if its an actual saved place place:confused:

My letter says i have been offered a place as long as i meet the minimum entry requirements:D I think it means thats the number of people who will have to fail or drop out before they offer you a place, but im still kinda unsure if this is the actual offer and if its an actual saved place place:confused:

It means i have to wish and pray that the following will happen...8 people will either a) not meet the entry requirements or b) change there mind in the change of mind form.....im number 9 on the list im not too hopeful!! very disappointed as this will be my 2nd attempt to go to college as i was studying architectural technology in waterford and i didnt like it..i deferred 2nd year....back to the drawing board for me i think.hoping i get in...Well done on getting in though might see you there in september ;):rolleyes:

It means i have to wish and pray that the following will happen...8 people will either a) not meet the entry requirements or b) change there mind in the change of mind form.....im number 9 on the list im not too hopeful!! very disappointed as this will be my 2nd attempt to go to college as i was studying architectural technology in waterford and i didnt like it..i deferred 2nd year....back to the drawing board for me i think.hoping i get in...Well done on getting in though might see you there in september ;):rolleyes:

Hey be optimistic!! Im sure that a fair few will drop out:D I was unsure whether i wanted it or not till i did the interview, 9 people is not that many:D

Hey be optimistic!! Im sure that a fair few will drop out:D I was unsure whether i wanted it or not till i did the interview, 9 people is not that many:D

I wish i was as optimistic as you! :D but see.. if i dont get offered the place in round one..i cant take the chance of waiting for it in round two if you get me??...:(:(
    im dying to go to college.i was doing a ****ty plc course in design for the past year in my hometown! miss the college scene but itching to just be in college!! are you doing your leaving cert?

Yup, im new to this whole college system, the leaving shouldnt be a problem compared to the months spent working on my portfolio!:D but if i was you I'd ring the college and ask the amount of people who lost their spot to get a guesstimate wheter or not its likely you will get a spot:D

Yea thats what my mam said to do!....is this you mom?? haha :o or i might just hand them a brown envelope and demand i get a place! do you know anyone else who applied for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

My daughter was offered a place and also offered visual communication in DIT. She is totally torn between the 2. I bet there are lots of people in her position so I would say 9th on a list is not too bad a position to be in at all.

Anybody got any opions on either course/college that might help her decide??

• Advertisement

Yea thats what my mam said to do!....is this you mom?? haha :o or i might just hand them a brown envelope and demand i get a place! do you know anyone else who applied for it?
    No one:confused: I'l be all alone in dublin, aside from a few friends dispersed throughout the city:D, Im just think that 2 months is a long time for people to change there minds and that you have a good shot at getting a place:D in if all else fails the bitchy envelope plan might work(depending if you can do good bitchy)

Advertisement