Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD Industrial Design

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cushy101

Maisie wrote: »
    My daughter was offered a place and also offered visual communication in DIT. She is totally torn between the 2. I bet there are lots of people in her position so I would say 9th on a list is not too bad a position to be in at all.

Anybody got any opions on either course/college that might help her decide??
    I had to pick between both of them(accepted in both) but i feel industrial design best suits my abilities

just ask her is she wants to design the product or does she want to advertise it:D

(just fyi industrial designers earn more:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Selohesra007

I got a place in this course aswell:D providing I get the min in the leaving cert... havent been on boards in awile.

I got a place in this course aswell:D providing I get the min in the leaving cert... havent been on boards in awile.
    Well join the party! and by party I mean just me so far(and a few hopefuls). Its so nice to know all i need is to get c3's in two of my higher subjects. I'm sitting outside eating pizza and getting my tan on. This is gonna be the best leaving ever:D

cushy101 wrote: »
    Well join the party! and by party I mean just me so far(and a few hopefuls). Its so nice to know all i need is to get c3's in two of my higher subjects. I'm sitting outside eating pizza and getting my tan on. This is gonna be the best leaving ever:D

haha, it will be great alri. Are you droppin to any/many ordinary subjects since the letter?

haha, it will be great alri. Are you droppin to any/many ordinary subjects since the letter?
    Na im gonna keep the 4 higher(const.st., engi, agri sci, DCG) im doing just to be sure! Its the only thing that could stop me from getting my place!

• Advertisement

Ye im stayin in 4 honours aswell... bio and dcg should get me in, hopefully

Ye im stayin in 4 honours aswell... bio and dcg should get me in, hopefully
    I was told i should have full marks on my dcg project so that should be easily passed and il surely get one out of the other three! We dont need the b3 in maths because of DCG ya?:confused:

I doubt it because it says technical drawing and well that is dcg with a bit of industrial design in it. And they asked me loads of questions about dcg so they are really interested in it.

I think there's loads of people who have got in who did the core year at NCAD this year... so they have no leaving to worry about

I think there's loads of people who have got in who did the core year at NCAD this year... so they have no leaving to worry about
    but like do the we only need a b3 in maths or a hounor in one of those other subjects instead ya?
    I remember at my interview i was the only person who wasnt in college

• Advertisement

Dont know... I have just dropped to pass recently so I think a B3 is well doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 positiveholes

got accepted to ncad industrial design did lc last year so i have it if i want it which nice..but im seriously considering astophysics in maynooth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rockerstienbeft

Hey y'all, Congrats on all your interviews and results! I can fill ya in on how the course works, I personally found that there was a lack of information.

Ok! So, come late September all of the Industrial Designers will be in core year for a few months. I was quite surprised to hear that originally, but yeah Core year is pretty good. It's certainly not as technical or practical as the industrial design course which begins in late February, but it's definitely an experience. It's a chance to try out different fields. So, if you are torn between industrial design and another field, such as fine art or graphic design, you can explore these different areas and see if they're more suited to you. At the end of the year you can choose to swap out of industrial design and into the other option, should you choose to.

Also, it's the perfect opportunity to get to know your year. - relevant for good nights out and stuff. It's probably the case that you won't know too many people going into NCAD at the mo, but ya! you'll find it really easy to talk to people when you're workin' next to them. I've found everyone in the college to be really sound, everyones got different backgrounds and ambitions.

Core year might be difficult or hard to understand at points, but keep in mind that the grades you receive are for art and creative exploration, it won't be for industrial design til later on. don't get disheartened, some tutors can be a little blunt... I'm sure things'll go grand though.

In late February you'll finally go into ID. The projects will change from open ended self-motivated pieces into function based briefs that are almost engineering by comparison. So, you'll go from painting, making or sculpting to designing and constructing.

Sorry for this extra long post, i'll just put in a note about lectures:

In first year there are visual culture lectures on Monday morning and Thursday morning. These are the only lectures during core, the rest is studio time. In the ID section we do these visual culture lectures as well as drawing tutorials once a week and physics lectures twice a week. The difference is certainly notable on a timetable!

Anyhow, if there's anything you're curious about in terms of first year I.D. I've just finished it. and would be happy to help out!

Seriously thanks! You just removed any doubt I had about doing this course. I am wondering though, is there a particular area/student village of dublin where the NCAD students live like other colleges, or are the NCAD students spead across the city? I'm looking at accommodation in Dublin atm.

Hmm, i wouldn't know too much about accommodation as i'm a commuter from north Wicklow. From the people I've been talking to it seems like there's a wide variety of addresses. I know folk that travel all the way from kildare every mornin'! There's a fair bit of student accommodation in the city center.

Here are a few websites that are good for finding places to stay according to the NCAD website:

www.daft.ie.
    www.rent.ie
    www.kinlaydublin.ie
    www.studentlettings.ie
    www.easyroommate.com

However, I think it might be a better plan to get in contact with the SU representatives. Send em' a message, they will probably put you in touch with some good options. Click here to get to the 'NCAD SU' on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LYDIABANK

Aw..im getting quite sad reading all these posts as im still really disappointed about being number 9 on the waiting list.dam that hoover question!!!.i just havn a clue what to do now...:(

Hmm, i wouldn't know too much about accommodation as i'm a commuter from north Wicklow. From the people I've been talking to it seems like there's a wide variety of addresses. I know folk that travel all the way from kildare every mornin'! There's a fair bit of student accommodation in the city center.

Here are a few websites that are good for finding places to stay according to the NCAD website:

www.daft.ie.
    www.rent.ie
    www.kinlaydublin.ie
    www.studentlettings.ie
    www.easyroommate.com

However, I think it might be a better plan to get in contact with the SU representatives. Send em' a message, they will probably put you in touch with some good options. Click here to get to the 'NCAD SU' on facebook.

I know a lot of the course is focused on the processes in making products and the machines used to make them. I'm just wondering how much of the course is spent designing concept products? Would you consider to be a creative course? And is it possible to be a product designer after this course? How many are in the course each year:D

I know a lot of the course is focused on the processes in making products and the machines used to make them. I'm just wondering how much of the course is spent designing concept products? Would you consider to be a creative course? And is it possible to be a product designer after this course? How many are in the course each year:D

Actually a lot of the course is spent designing products, virtually all of it! Granted in first year you have to do some interesting starter projects to do with mechanisms (cardboard chair, paper bridge, rubber band powered car) yet the rest of the course is designated to design. We work off briefs about design in the house or furniture design, product design and design for disability.

The projects in first year after core ended ignoring the above mentioned were to do with recycled materials - to make a product composed of at least 60% recycled paper and to make a kids toy. In other years i've seen people design furniture, kitchens, general products/inventions such as tents and the KUG (hybrid kettle mug), and there was an interesting project to design swim-wear for mastectomy patients.

In the later years we study about ergonomics and how the body interacts with objects and workspaces, we learn about materials used to make products and we learn the 3D software (Solidworks and Rhino) used to render and test these products. there's a good bit of model prototype making and presentations involved too. We get contacts from companies that endorse 'live projects' where stuff we design could actually be produced. There's work experience in 3rd year too. I'd definitely say that this course is designed to get you into the product design world. :cool:

This is definitely a creative course, yet not in the conventional sense. You will be required to solve problems in intuitive ways. If someone tells you to make something from a brief, the ideas that create the product come directly from your imagination. Granted there is a certain logical side to it as well, it's not raw creativity i suppose; not in the same way painting or visual art might be. It's a practical sort of creativity. :D

There are generally between 14-19 students in ID each year. My current course has about 15, I think one person is swapping out and another is swapping in.

heh, sorry again for the long replies, i think i'm overly enthusiastic about my course. but hey! you get more out of it when what you put more into it i suppose! :pac:

I'm not complaining about the long replies! You're convincing me more and more that this course is awesome! defiantly my first choice now!

Only 15 a year... wow and there must have been about 60 or so who applied

...Its definitely my first choice too:)

• Advertisement

Only 15 a year... wow and there must have been about 60 or so who applied

...Its definitely my first choice too:)

I guess this makes us the elite of the country:pac:

Lets just hope we don't **** up the leaving. I suppose I'l have to start studying one of these days...:D

I guess this makes us the elite of the country:pac:

Lets just hope we don't **** up the leaving. I suppose I'l have to start studying one of these days...:D

Indeed it does...:)

Ye I just scraped a pass in ordinary Irish in the mocks.... It's a painful subject to study for. Paper 2 of it i just didnt bother studying for atol.:P

Indeed it does...:)

Ye I just scraped a pass in ordinary Irish in the mocks.... It's a painful subject to study for. Paper 2 of it i just didnt bother studying for atol.:P

I don't do Irish just one of the perks of being really, really, really **** at it!

I am so making t-shirts... I'm thinking something obnoxious like 'Points are meaningless to me, take mine, I have a few hundred I'm not using anyways':D I have a friend studying for medicine in trinity and at the moment he won't talk to me because of my ease going into the leaving, I like to think I'm the yang to his ying:rolleyes:

I don't do Irish just one of the perks of being really, really, really **** at it!

I am so making t-shirts... I'm thinking something obnoxious like 'Points are meaningless to me, take mine, I have a few hundred I'm not using anyways':D I have a friend studying for medicine in trinity and at the moment he won't talk to me because of my ease going into the leaving, I like to think I'm the yang to his ying:rolleyes:

You dont do Irish??... you lucky b!tch/b@st@rd..... which ever one you are:D

T-shirts... an idea and a half!

You dont do Irish??... you lucky b!tch/b@st@rd..... which ever one you are:D

T-shirts... an idea and a half!

Im **** at languages, so I have an exception!

I could pretend to be a dudette, but I make too many wenis references for anyone to believe that:D Im assume you on the same boat, with the wenis and all, and if not sorry for implying you have a wenis!

confused...?

No, I'm not confused:D... I'll translate my last comment, I'm a guy and I'm assuming you are too

Ye i am., i heard there's unreal nights out at ncad... if rockersteinbelt sees this pls reply aswell:D

Oh yeah, the nights out are pretty sweet. It's legal to drink anywhere on campus, and theres a tesco, a lidl, two spars and a centra right around the college for booze (lidl's the way to go) usually start chillin' late afternoon. towards the later evening there are gigs and dj's, College shuts at about 9, then most head up to thomas house (pub two seconds away from college) and then usually to twisted pepper. I'm more of a cheap booze and last bus type chap myself tho : D all the balls (6 per year, not as mad expensive as trinity or ucd don' worry) can be pretty mad too, crazy costumes and interesting occurances..

ah yeah, i remember most of my year giving out to me for already being in college pretty much. It's hard to be excited about not having to worry about points without stepping on the toes of those intensive academics... at one stage a guy i know made a point of telling me to 'take the leaving cert seriously!'

Good luck in the LC by the by, only a few days left now isn't there? you'll be graannd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 positiveholes

For the acknowledgement of rockersteinbelt

Ever consider Architecture?

Advertisement