Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Should I Live?

Options
  • 04-02-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Basically if I don't get on campus, where should I live? Is there any studenty places? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Basically if I don't get on campus, where should I live? Is there any studenty places? :confused:
    Well to be honest, if your going anywhere off campus you should really be thinking about how easy it will be to get to college. Anywhere as far south as newcastle co wicklow is served by the 84. Dead Handy. Im in Greystones, so hopefully next year itll be a 30 min bus ride.

Remember the closer to the city centre the dearer (usually)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Make sure you get somewhere convenient to college. (one bus, and living on the 17 route doesn't count as convenient!)

Check daft.ie and sites like that and see what sort of rent you're likely to be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Clonskeagh, Donnybrook, Ranelagh, South City Centre are all good areas for UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

ranelagh....lots of bedsits....on the number 11B bus route....drops you 2 minutes from the centre of UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

dododo, I'm hunting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I helped a friend get accomodation the other day. It took me a total of 20 minutes to walk down to the union. They're advertising LOADS of them. 2 in particular (one he got) were just outside UCD, both €80 a week. Bargain. I wish I'd moved out of campus just to get that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭FockRoysh

Clonskeagh or Ranelagh are deadly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Considering the number of times you'll be travelling to and from campus, you can save yourself a lot of money - and stress - if you don't have to rely on public transport. The time you really need it, it won't be there for you.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It doesn't really matter where you live, you'll still make it into college and still be surrounded by students in most places. Friend of mine lives on Jones' rd. right next to Croker and still makes it into ucd. One thing though I would advice you to keep an eye out for when you sign any leases, that great government of ours (knobs) has passed a law on taxing second homes, now they say it's designed for people with holiday homes, but a landlord leasing a house out to students comes into this remit so don't be shocked when you move into a house to see your rent go up. Everyone always goes on about the south side for ucd, but you can get some really bargain places in pretty decent conditions in Drumcondra or Glasnevin, don't restrict yourself to the €400+ per month places in the southside. Daft has to be one of the best sites in the world for accomodation, especially if you're a non-smoking bird you've got about 90% of the places to choose from!

Advertisement