Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E51 and fring.

• 04-02-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi, I was using fring and skype to call the U.K over wifi.It was very poor so I changed to freespeech.ie, its a bit better.But still it sounds a bit scrapy.Just wondering if I can get any codecs to make this better, or is there a better voip provider.I posted this on voip but got no ideas.Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

What kind of broadband connection is your wifi connection using? What speed? Is there any other activity on the internet connection happening when you experience choppiness.

According to some posters Blueface will change your default codec to G79 if you request it - I assume if they do then Freespeech would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

I have the 3mg package with eircom.There is no other activity on the net.My family say that my line is pretty good but their line to me is a bit choppy(on my land line , it is perfect).Its not that bad but it could be better.Just wondering if there are better voip out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Hmmmm, well apart from asking freespeech to downgrade the codec to g79 I can't think of much else - Freespeech and Blueface both seem to use the same provider themselves. One other thing you might want to look at is getting a router that does QOS (Quality of Service). This a a facility that allows you to prioritise SIP data traffic on the line but as you say nothing else is happening on the connection when you are in a call it is unlikely to help.

I think if it were me I would be looking at the quality of my internet connection - you could take a look at www.speedtest.net and post the results for download, upload and latency to eliminate general connection speed issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Bluefrog wrote: »
    What kind of broadband connection is your wifi connection using? What speed? Is there any other activity on the internet connection happening when you experience choppiness.

According to some posters Blueface will change your default codec to G79 if you request it - I assume if they do then Freespeech would too.

G.729, and yes the quality will be a bit better, but it will still not compensate for a latency on a low bandwidth connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I have the 3mg package with eircom.There is no other activity on the net.My family say that my line is pretty good but their line to me is a bit choppy(on my land line , it is perfect).Its not that bad but it could be better.Just wondering if there are better voip out there.
    "Better" voip will still need a moderately good broadband UL and DL speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement