Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury's triples the price of it's rooms in July

Options
  • 04-02-2009 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Amidst the doom and gloom the Irish Indo have exposed Jury's profiteering ways, on the back of speculation that U2 may be playing in July they have tripled the price of their rooms from €99pn to €299, purely on speculation!!!!

I thought those profiteering days had passed us by, evidentially not, they'll probably jack up the price of drinks and all for the weekend.

What will it take for the rip off gangsters in this country to offer a fair product for a fair price.:mad:

Or am I just being Naive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

as long as fools (my opinion) will pay to see St. Bono they will pay those room rates as well.
    a new one is born every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Free market, really.

The hotel can charge what they want, when they want.

We, the customers, aren't obliged to stay there so we can look elsewhere for accommodation at a rate we're happy to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

as long as fools (my opinion) will pay to see St. Bono they will pay those room rates as well.
    a new one is born every day...

Ah now lets not start the thread by trolling! Insinuating someone's a fool for having better taste in music than you is only looking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Economics ... basic forces of supply and demand.

It's not a rip-off, they're advertising a price, it's up to the consumer to decide whether they're willing to pay it.

00112984 wrote: »
    Free market, really.

We, the customers, aren't obliged to stay there so we can look elsewhere for accommodation at a rate we're happy to pay.

Isn't it that 'free market','let them charge what they like' mentality that has our economy in the state it's in today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Victor_M wrote: »
    Isn't it that 'free market','let them charge what they like' mentality that has our economy in the state it's in today?

That's arguable; however Jury's aim and their responsibility to their stakeholders is to make a profit, not to protect the interests of the economy.

No, it's the people who paid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No, it's the people who paid it.

Yeah, we should've just starved ourselves tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Supply and demand. If people aren't willing to pay it then they'll drop the rate.
    They can so long as it's not greater than the maximum room rate that they agree with Fáilte Ireland and display in all rooms. Clearly it's €299 for the hotels that you've looked at.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Is that rag (Independent) not a vastly lower price up North ?

Do they charge the same price for ads on Page 1 as for ads on Page 13 ?

Is a hotel supposed to charge small prices at a time when they could fill the place twice over ?

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah, we should've just starved ourselves tbh.

How is the inflated price of a room in a Dublin city hotel at a time of high demand related to the cost of food?

In most other countries there is a healthy level of competition that drives prices down, obviously supply and demand come into play, but this country has never really had fair competition in any sector, the mobile phone co's, car industry, retail, hospitality industry they all price fix, no one seems to have the will to drive the prices down.

It's this level of extortionate pricing that has crucified our economy and brought us to the disgraceful state we are in today.

It amazes me how so many people accept this type of business practise with a shrug of the shoulders and a 'ah sure there all at it'.

I've booked hotels in the US on major weekends and have been charged a reasonable premium, but the mentality over there is that is they price reasonably, they don't jack the cost of food and drink up and the punters will come and spend their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How is the inflated price of a room in a Dublin city hotel at a time of high demand related to the cost of food?

Well you said the people who paid the prices on offer caused the economy to get in the state it is today. I'm assuming you're not saying that hotel room prices drove inflation here for the last 10 or so years?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If they did not get €299 for rooms in high peak times, then they probably could not offer them at €99 now.

Its the same with ryanair charging huge money at short notice, if those rich businessmen did not pay €300 for their flight, then yours would not be pittance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

If they told people who had booked at 99 that they would have to pay 299, then it would be a rip off, but if they charged the maximum rates for the last 15% of rooms just like every other hotel in the world, then it normal business practice.

UK example.

Copthorn Birmingham Sunday last £56.75 booked in early January. Another room booked last thursday for same night, £199.00. Same size room, same breakfast, difference was lead time of booking.

darc wrote: »
    If they told people who had booked at 99 that they would have to pay 299, then it would be a rip off, but if they charged the maximum rates for the last 15% of rooms just like every other hotel in the world, then it normal business practice.

UK example.

Copthorn Birmingham Sunday last £56.75 booked in early January. Another room booked last thursday for same night, £199.00. Same size room, same breakfast, difference was lead time of booking.

That's reasonable enough, but in Jury's case once they heard the speculation that there was a U2 concert on in July every room tripled in price.

I'm just sick of Ireland being the most expensive place all the time, you know things have gone arseways when your Swiss mates comment on how amazingly expensive Ireland is.

We'll see how long they any business can get away with 3x price increases, once the repeat offenders are on their knees I'll happily give them the fingers and take my business elsewhere.

I went to see U2 play in Madison sq gardens (NY) about 3 years ago, got a hotel across the road from the venue at short notice for $99 pn, beer in the venue was the same price as the bar across the road except they came to your seat and took your order.

The fiscal raping that has been going on here for the last 10+ years by the quick buck profiteers has royally backfired, were all screwed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I have no issue at all with people charging what they want, the market will decide what is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

That's reasonable enough, but in Jury's case once they heard the speculation that there was a U2 concert on in July every room tripled in price.

I'm just sick of Ireland being the most expensive place all the time, you know things have gone arseways when your Swiss mates comment on how amazingly expensive Ireland is.

We'll see how long they any business can get away with 3x price increases, once the repeat offenders are on their knees I'll happily give them the fingers and take my business elsewhere.

I went to see U2 play in Madison sq gardens (NY) about 3 years ago, got a hotel across the road from the venue at short notice for $99 pn, beer in the venue was the same price as the bar across the road except they came to your seat and took your order.

The fiscal raping that has been going on here for the last 10+ years by the quick buck profiteers has royally backfired, were all screwed now.

You have kind of answered your question there.

If we take our business somewhere else, the companies here will have to lower their prices to get business back.

If that means that you have to see U2 in New York, so be it.

Vote with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I went to see U2 play in Madison sq gardens (NY) about 3 years ago

I presume you have taken the cost of the flight into consideration ?.

Advertisement