Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on varnishing painted white floor boards

Options
  • 04-02-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I painted my stairs white with International floor paint. I have now finished painting it but I am wondering how to I go about putting a layer of varnish over it. I have bought the ronseal cleat satin varnish and I was going to use it this evening. But I have this nagging that it will turn my white paint a yellow colour. I know I could test it on a small part of the wood. But the varnish is expensive 50 euros so dont want to open if not needed.

I'll give you some background on the painting job. I sanded the stairs lightly as it was varnished previously I then hovered and cleaned with white spirits.
    Then went to B&Q and asked about floor paints for stairs was told to use the gritted international white polar paint. I used this and didnt like the bumpy finish after 2 coats so put another 2 coats of the intenational normal paint over it which gave a better finish but the grit is still there I will have to live with it.
    Also just noticed this now if i put my tumb on the paint and force down hard and push the paint will move and tear. Do I have a problem or is that the paint is not dry
    I would like to varnish over the paint to stop it chipping and staining.

Anyone any expierince with this

Advertisement