Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsie Shadow Government "Game"

Options
  • 04-02-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

OK, we are reaching rock bottom, now what are you going to do?

I am getting a bit tired of a lot of moaning going on. Yes, our government is hopeless and the alternatives are far from ideal. Yes, there still is no indication of what the way out is for Ireland as a state, a society and an economy.

But let's try a different approach here. Since we have so many knowledgeable people around, let's put together a platform for a "new" party, a new approach, a possible solution. Let's see if we have what it takes.

I propose we start the discussions from a higher level, and then can can dig down into the details. Based on the suggestions and inputs, we can then select our "shadow" cabinet. If you like a proposal, just click on the thumbs up icon and we can shortlist the ideas.

I will start with a few suggestions in the next post to stop this initial one from getting too long.

So, who wants to join the Boarsies Party? Add your ideas to the platform and let's see how far we can go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

- Once in government the boardsie party will take responsibility and implement a hands-on approach the availability of a decent offer of transport, health, education and infrastructure to the entire population to the best of its abilities through state owned organisations, but will also promote competition in the market to ensure the highest standards and competitive costs are secured.
    - Public services of any kind will be assessed for efficiency. Services where good value can be found will be rewarded. Inefficiencies will be addressed.

- The government will do its utmost to make Ireland an increasingly attractive country to foreign investment but will also develop a more entrepreneurial culture in order to increase the ratio of jobs in Irish owned companies with an international presence - note: the objective is creation of Irish wealth through companies with long term ambitions and not so much emphasis on "quick sale" startups.
    - Investments will be made to place Ireland as a maritime shipping gateway for transit of goods from the Americas into Europe, in competition with Rotterdam and other large Northern European hubs
    - Ireland will promote the establishment of native international trading companies looking at positioning Ireland also as a commercial gateway to the continent
    - Stamp duty to be abolished in homes sold from now on, but a property tax to be introduced instead (this could be proportional to income, maybe?). Existing homeowners that paid stamp duty will not be affected by this tax.
    - House swaps between owner-occupiers will be allowed with a nominal stamp duty and no other taxes to help people relocate closer to work or family.
    - The tax system will be simplified and stealth and hidden taxes will be either removed or incorporated to "mainstream" taxes.

- The state recognises the importance of its youth for its own future and will establish several programs targeting youth development, health, and a healthy life style, with investments or support to creation of facilities across the country.
    - The state recognises the value of families and will ensure an environment is created to allow a more balanced work-family lifestyle.
    - Programs will be created to sponsor changes of career for individuals at any age group to promote individuals' personal fulfilment.
    - The state will support the unemployed, but will create programs to ensure the potential of these citizens is used for the good of society and as a means to help them remain and feel productive. Long term opted unemployment will not be stimulated.
    - The state will do its utmost to promote the culture of more individual responsibility and reduce the culture of suing. It is expected this will help foment entrepreneurship in areas where there is a general fear of litigation, such as public sports, entertainment and other facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

MORE DRINK !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

OK, feel free to propose other ways of doing it, though I can't see how an economy can be run without state participation.

Decisions on labour, imigration, education and many more have an impact on culture and social aspects of society.

Anarquism was not exactly what I had in mind :)

The idea here is that to be critical is easy. To come up with answers can be challenging. Are you willing to put some thought into this and share your views?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

regarding

I can't see how an economy can be run without state participation.

it can't be run ( in our case ) WITH state participation

so i reckon lets try without it ;-)

DaDumTish wrote: »
    ...so i reckon lets try without it ;-)

change the government NOW!!!!

Sure, but put what (or whom) in place? What is it we want to see instead?

I, for one, am not completely happy with any of the alternatives I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

DaDumTish wrote: »
    regarding

I can't see how an economy can be run without state participation.

it can't be run ( in our case ) WITH state participation

so i reckon lets try without it ;-)

I don't know. An occasional kick may have helped the banks not Fu(k up...

• Advertisement

Not sure why you are surprised, but in any case, I was not educated in Ireland, which might help explain. I have lived in five different countries and I see this as beneficial because I am not purely immersed in Irish politics. I have lived in a totalitarian state, in a social democracy, in a banana republic and in a young democracy. No luck yet to experience something like what you seem to be proposing.

Is this a realistic short term expectation or are you intent at undermining this thread from the start?

Ideas based on peasant's entry here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58916928&posted=1#post58916928

Private or public initiatives will be supported to explore the natural resources such as wind and sea originated power of this country for energy generation, looking into self-sufficiency and exports. Technological development in these areas will be actively stimulated.

World class innovation proposals looking into transportation based on alternatives to fossil fuel will be supported and promoted.

Wherever applicable, acquisition of foreign knowledge and expertise will be stimulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

But in fairness, how many people have a (9.5,-9.5) on the political compass??? If we were to take all of your policies, and I fully agree on a lot of them, wed lose all support. :)

turgon wrote: »
    But in fairness, how many people have a (9.5,-9.5) on the political compass??? If we were to take all of your policies, and I fully agree on a lot of them, wed lose all support. :)

If you could be more specific, I could argument. Where do you see the conflicts? Where and how would support be lost?

I truly believe a country can put a big focus on quality of life, be environmentally friendly and be a leading power in business and innovation at the same time. Most lines of thought out there seem to suggest that efforts into one area should sacrifice others.

Advertisement