Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volunteer work abroad help!

• 04-02-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I need help in deciding what my best options are this summer. Im coming towards the end of my final year in college and this Summer my main aim is to try and achieve something worthwhile abroad which will both enrich my life and look good on my CV for prospective employers cos have just been informed that apparently intensive alcohol consuption over a period of three years is not likely to entice employment...does anyone have advice on any programmes available to irish students who want to do volunteer work abroad at a minimal cost or any kind of work experience abroad whatsoever that would look decent on a CV?my course is corporate law,if that makes a difference....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's too late to apply to most of the programmes. So as that you don't screw up and end up causing more harm than good, any organization worth its salt would make you do at least 6 months preparation beforehand. Suas is one such example, applications closed before Christmas.
    Unless you have some skill that is much in need it's going to be hard to find a 'minimal cost' program. Irish Aid have a lot of information on volunteering, they have a place in O Connell St, you could call into them there. I would strongly advise you to not mention your ambitions to use this to enhance your CV. I've been working wiith volunteers in different countries for about 5 years now, and the ones who were all about enhancing their own lives drove me nuts and made things harder. Hate to sound harsh, that is the truth.
    Also, take a look at the Volunteering Forum on this, lots of info there.

Maybe working abroad would be a good idea. You could work in a european country, that way you would learn a language and it shows you have guts; not afraid to get out of your comfort zone. That would enhance your CV also.

Advertisement