Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV - Anyone else getting super-high pings?

Options
  • 04-02-2009 11:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

See subject; for the last 2-3 days my ping has bottomed out on UTV (2mb line & unfortunately I don't have a choice on BB providers in the house), with high pings of about 550-580, only going as low as 300 or so at best. Is anyone else experiencing this? My up/down speeds are fluctuating too, though even when the ping was ok that was the case. If nothing improves by tomorrow I will be contacting them to politely & firmly complain, but I'm just wondering if anyone else here is experiencing unusually prolonged periods of high pings?

Btw, I'm in Clonsilla, so exchange is Blanchardstown I presume?

A selection of shots from this evening ("only" 450 approx):

04.02.09_20.05.png
    04.02.09_20.20.png
    04.02.09_21.17.png

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nobody then? :(

Then again, I suppose I didn't imagine there'd be too many people willingly using UTV anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was until last week, when an Eircom upgrade in Portlaoise seemed to fix everything. It was affecting users all over the southeast/midlands on a bunch of different bitstream ISPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i been getting terrible speeds in castlebar as well in the evenings.

the broadband went down last night and i have been on to UTV and its eircom fault as per usual.

Hope its a speed upgrade or something to fix the problems.

getting really tired of utv

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

irishgeo wrote: »
    i been getting terrible speeds in castlebar as well in the evenings.

the broadband went down last night and i have been on to UTV and its eircom fault as per usual.

Hope its a speed upgrade or something to fix the problems.

getting really tired of utv

Same as me, except in Kildare and I'm getting really tired of UTV too....

I posted my issue on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055479094.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is there any more scheduled exchange work going on by Eircom? Even back in the day when that major overhaul was happening the pings weren't as bad as this though.

Oh and I presume it couldn't be the weather, could it??

If it's still bad tonight I will be mailing them, complete with a list of speed reports. If nothing else, it might be worth asking about being upgraded to the 3Mb line as they no longer do the 2meg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Dao

Yep, super High pings for me too.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/403737629.png

I mailed UTV and this is their response !
    "Hi,

I have looked at the screenshot you have sent me and it says your download speed is 2888 Kbps which is absolutely fine. If your web pages are slow at loading then there may be an issue with your computer itself. Try running a virus scan and see if it finds any problems.

Kind Regards,
    "

So don't hold your breath......by the way I have 7.6Mb line so 2888 is still no where near the max !!

What exchange are you in Dao? Even if they tried that kind of response with me, my up/down speeds are poor too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dao wrote: »
    I have looked at the screenshot you have sent me and it says your download speed is 2888 Kbps which is absolutely fine. If your web pages are slow at loading then there may be an issue with your computer itself. Try running a virus scan and see if it finds any problems.

Wow, that's a fairly piss poor response.
    Dao wrote: »
    So don't hold your breath......by the way I have 7.6Mb line so 2888 is still no where near the max !!

Getting 2.8M on a 7.6M line would say to me that your line can't handle that speed, and this and the high interleaving are what's causing the high pings and speed fluctuations. You should get UTV to drop you back to a 3Mbps connection, which will stop the modem trying to sync at a higher speed than it's going to be able to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

pixelburp wrote: »
    What exchange are you in Dao? Even if they tried that kind of response with me, my up/down speeds are poor too.

You're supposed to be on a 2Mbps line, right? Check your modem sync speed and line stats, in the router configuration. This might give some ideas as to what's wrong. Check your DSL filters too, a dodgy filter has been known to cause such problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dao

Its the Rush exchange.....Thing is, before Christmas I got a "Free" upgrade from 3Mb to 7.6Mb and for a while there it was fine, but over the last week to 10 days its crap ! As I mentioned in a previous thread this is their last chance to give a decent response or I'm off to another ISP...once I do some research first !!!

• Advertisement

Well tonight the results are as follows - they're better, but that's hardly saying much:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/405055091.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/405059524.png

Below are my router stats if that's any help (yeah it's a 2Mb line)
    Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 2048 Kbps 256 Kbps
    Noise Margin 12.4 dB 18.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 57.0 dB 31.5 dB
    Output Power 10.4 dBm -0.2 dBm

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

Same problem here, I'm in Clonee (Blanch exchange) my BT connection normally gives 40ms ping to any Irish games server.
    But as of this week it dropped to 400ms on average and only about 150KB/sec on a 3MB line.

Something is up with the eircom lines alright, it seems to be affecting anyone connected to the eircom network, even if you are with BT or UTV.
    It may be just Blanchardstown, or it could be people downloading music in advance of the torrent block that eircom will have to impose after the high court action!!!

I called BT and got the normal BLAA about contention and variable speeds, they did not even know what ping speed was!!!

I have emailed UTV in any case (A polite version of "what the fook is going on?", to see if I can get any kind of adult response, though judging by Dao's reply I won't be holding my breath.

after my broadband being down all day, my connection seems to have recovered somewhat after it came back.

2.5 Megs on a 3meg line at 8pm approx.

2 nights ago it was 0.5 meg on 3MB line at 8pm ill keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

I Spoke with BT tech support again and they explained it was down to high contention, I'm on 48:1 contention line with a 3MB download.

This morning I tested again and it was back up to normal.

So it looks as if usage has suddenly increased in the evenings in my partucular DSL connection.

So evenings are useless to me, VOIP sucks and the Gameing lag makes it unplayable.

I'm seriously thinking of changing provider, but to what I don't know.
    Smart are not in my exchange yet.

Do BT offer a low contention contract?

Well just taking a quick litmis test there, I'm getting a ping of 115:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/405744083.png
    Not by any means good but a vast improvement. I haven't yet received a reply from UTV, and will push them again if things don't settle down to something reasonable.

Well I have still received no reply, bar an automated message that I am in a queue. Pings are back to the 250 range; how about other people?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mine is away to hell again too.

408493224.png

minse seems to have settled back down now, since eircom fixed the fault.

408531436.png

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

my pings were in the 400s earlier, back down to the usuall 35ish range...... somones playin "lets fu** with everyones laticency and packets for the lols" in teh server hubs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement