Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you think UFC 93 was so successful on Pay Per View

• 04-02-2009 11:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

Just read there that UFC 93 did 320,000 Pay Per View buys (up from the early figure of 275,000.) To put it in perspective the UK shows have all been in the 175,000-225,000 range. Going by early reactions people are shock that it did so well considering:
    • It was at one stage only going to be a free TV special on Spike in the US
    • Most fans and writers viewed it as a weak card
    • Many writers thought that people wouldn’t buy the show as it was too close to UFC 94 and they would rather save their money
    • It didn’t have an All Access or Primetime special to build it up
    • UFC were seemingly more interested in hyping UFC 94 the week before UFC 93
    • In addition to a load more reasons you lads could probably come up with

No doubt UFC is on a crest of a wave at the moment with the major successes of 91, 92 & now 94. But this cant be the sole reason can it? Did the MMA community in States underestimate the strength of the fight card and the popularity of the featured fighters? Even do you think the Yanks will just buy anything Irish?

Thoughts please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Well apparently there are more Americans that claim irish inheritance than actual irish people in the world, so i would assume alot more bought into it because they wanted to follow there "irish roots" or get a glimpse of the "motherland"

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Nice stat-hunting as always rovert.:D

I reckon the Irish-American angle really was underestimated, allied to the novelty of the first show in The Old Sod. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, the drawing power of the fight card was a notch above several of the recent UK shows. The Davis-Lytle fight got some unscripted hype from the guys themselves when they publicly begged Dana to let them at it.

For the TUF-era fans, the fight to decide the coach of Team U.S. was probably an extra draw (between two popular fighters), while Shogun-Coleman was one for the longer-term fans who would be aware of the history there.

Add in a local lad on the card and there's something for everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Nice stat-hunting as always rovert.:D

If you want stats here they are:
    According to CompuStrike records, the Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle fight ranked among the tops in several modern UFC records. It had the second most strikes thrown in a three round fight in 492 (record is 639 in the 10/25 Sean Shark vs. Tyson Griffin match). It had the second most number of connected strikes in 1999, which were 111 by Davis and 88 by Lytle. Lytle’s 252 thrown strikes was fourth most ever, and Davis’ 111 landed was fourth most ever.

The bold bit is a typo most likely. The stats make it sound amazing when in fact was just pretty good IMO.

rovert wrote: »
    The stats make it sound amazing when in fact was just pretty good IMO.

Agreed. It was a decent fight, but couldn't possibly have lived up to the hype - "...a fight for the ages" I think Goldberg called it. :rolleyes:

I'd be expecting Achilles vs. Leonidas wielding lightsabres & riding dinos to justify that sorta billing.

Agreed. It was a decent fight, but couldn't possibly have lived up to the hype - "...a fight for the ages" I think Goldberg called it. :rolleyes:

Well the fighters were saying the same all week. To me what hampered the fight was that Marcus and Chris were too chummy (touching gloves in the middle of the fight GTFO.) As many punches were thrown in the fight there was still this whole vibe akin to two lads doing business over a gentle game of golf on a Sunday morning about it. Glorified sparing session really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Considering all the hype before the event was directed to UFC 94 then maybe people got mixed up and thought they were getting a St.Pierre v Penn PPV. :) Silly Americans.

I think they even managed to fit in a hug at one stage, there's a lot to be said for a bit of bad blood.

I was hoping one of them would break the "first to try for a takedown is a pussy" gentlemen's agreement, just to piss the other guy off.

Anyway, back on topic... is there a geographic breakdown of the PPV buys anywhere? Would be interesting to see how it did in the traditionally "Irish" areas of the States.

.Anyway, back on topic... is there a geographic breakdown of the PPV buys anywhere? Would be interesting to see how it did in the traditionally "Irish" areas of the States.

According to the Wrestling Observer:
    For UFC 93, the best markets were Halifax, Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa, Los Angles, Montreal, Seattle, Honolulu, Las Vegas, San Diego, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. Interesting that Rich Franklin on top didn’t boost Cincinnati or Columbus to that list.

UFC is always strongest on the West Coast and Canada.

And the Statistical Erudition Award goes to... :D

Well so much for my Irish-America theory. Unless there's a large, hitherto unknown Irish-Hawaiian community in Honolulu.

I guess we could credit Denis Kang's presence with some of the Canadian buys, had forgotten him as a factor. MMA fans (as opposed to solely-UFC fans) would have been intrigued by his debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Stronger card than UK shows, plus increasing momentum, following on from the last few shows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Maybe because it had

Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin, Mark Coleman and Shogun.

Maybe the fights didn't live up to the hype but it was a sweet double header

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Well.

The return of Shogun after multiple injuries, surgeries and a lose to Forrest Griffin.

The return of a UFC Hall of Famer, one of the fathers of ground and pound.

These two guys are fighting each other.

THey have fought before, some controversy surrounds, one is play good guy, one is playing bad guy.

Dan Henderson, only man in history to hold two weight division titles at the same time.

Rich Franklin, former UFC MIddleweight golden boy, currently suffering a slightly fractured career.

They are fighting, winner will get tough and Bisping.

Marcus Davis and Chris Lytle play up THEIR fight for months before the fact, promise an awesome night and both can possibly deliver.

No counter programing by any other promotion.

Tradaitional UFC marketing, that is to say targeted and well chosen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Hendo fought Rampage to unify the Pride and UFC belts in London, and didnt generate much interest from across the pond. None of the other fighters are big draws either.

I think its the UFC making in-roads in to the mainstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

could just be a fluke.

dunkamania wrote: »
    I think its the UFC making in-roads in to the mainstream.

I think so, the Brock fight converting a load of new fans seems to be the only reason for the bump in recent buyrates. I dont think it was the last season of TUF is the reason thats for sure. :pac:
    could just be a fluke.

I dont see how.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Well speaking from the point of view of one of those people who only last year got into watching UFC, I put it solely down to Setanta Ireland. They are are part of the analog cable channels so 75% of the households in the country have it. I know a few of my friends have gotten into it in the last year for the same reason.

Mind u... that only accounts for Ireland.

I guess we will get the answer after the London UFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I guess we will get the answer after the London UFC

Regardless of the run that the UFC are on, I just can't see that one doing well. I think that the main event of the Dublin show was a big reason for the success, it was two guys who've been in a lot of main events and title fights before. The same can't be said for London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The Ufc management are taking the Bristish crowd for granted with their last few cards.

This strategy of putting on weak cards in England every few months could backfire drastically on them.

The Ufc management are taking the Bristish crowd for granted with their last few cards.

This strategy of putting on weak cards in England every few months could backfire drastically on them.

I wouldn't go that far. If they do end up putting on an event that turns the British fans away then all they'd need to do is put on a good card and they'll have everyone wanting to see it again. It's not like it'll lead them into a situation that they can't remedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Fozzy wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far. If they do end up putting on an event that turns the British fans away then all they'd need to do is put on a good card and they'll have everyone wanting to see it again. It's not like it'll lead them into a situation that they can't remedy
    Thats true, maybe not drastically.. but there certainly getting the short end of the stick with regards to decent cards. This card sucks on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sure isnt UFC 95 in London on Spike in America??..Surely this will get huge audiences..People only getting into the sport will definetaly watch it without consideration for who is fighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Rovert, were the numbers for North America or the USA. If the former Kang could have had an effect although it is unlikely

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sure isnt UFC 95 in London on Spike in America??

If it is my bad.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Rovert, were the numbers for North America or the USA. If the former Kang could have had an effect although it is unlikely

North America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If it is my bad.

ufc95.jpg

Bubs101 wrote: »

Canada is a very strong market for the UFC anyway, I doubt that Kang contributed much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

callaway92 wrote: »
    ufc95.jpg

I reckon it wont be hard to get a ticket for this, that is a avery weak card in terms of 'Names' and the average fan wont have a scooby who Damien Maia is even though he could well be the next middleweight champ.

I honestly think the UFC is now saturating the market and a card every month is not the way to go to keep the longevity of the brand, bring it back to 7 or 8 a year and keep the quality up. Seriously though 95 has the potential to be the most boring night of fights ever, i for one dont see the point of stevenson vs sanchez and the two of them throwing weak strikes from the guard followed by a 'Keeia' noise.

Weak card lads, UFC are taking the piss with this one at £45 to see the two lads effectively dry hump each other for fifteen minutes preceded by Maia giving joe rogan a stiffy with his "WORLD CLASS JU-JITSU".

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Well at least with that card they wont have a hometown decision to give like the Bisping/Hamill fight

Well at least with that card they wont have a hometown decision to give like the Bisping/Hamill fight

There was no "hometown" decision given. The judges were Americans with no vested interest in how the UFC does. They just thought that Bisping won the fight

There are some English guys on the card though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

it doesnt matter who the judges are Bis was in England and he is english hence A hometown call

Advertisement