Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda? Need a delivery for Valentine...

• 04-02-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi there,
    is there anybody working for Garda and would be willing to deliver present to my boyfriend on Valentines day?
    The idea is that I would like to have a present delivered to his door on Saturday morning. Thought that if he sees Garda, he might get a bit confused and maybe scared (he is traveling to Holland this weekend :-) ) and the person would just ask for him etc. and then just pass him a box...
    I know a bit morbid, but...with a nice surprise (and relieve).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I am not so sure, he might have a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

ask in the 'emergency services' forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sunnydayz

well, i don't think so...no pressure on him, just need to ask for him and give him that box...
    that's all:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

I wouldn't do it... if i saw a cop walking towards my door i'd think they were bringing me bad news... just my 2 cent.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

You might cause him to quickly dispose of his stash - and if it was unneccesery he'd not be happy... :pac::(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what a crazy idea :D You must really love him though,why dont dont you ring up angelsea street garda station :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A real Garda wouldn't do it for fear of being fired. Just get a stripper and tell them not to take their clothes off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Are you serious??
    Do you not think Guards have enough to be doing without running errands for you??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Are you serious??
    Do you not think Guards have enough to be doing without running errands for you??

Relax, the guards are people too. I'd happily help out if I was. It's all in good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Tazzle wrote: »
    Relax, the guards are people too. I'd happily help out if I was. It's all in good fun.

And you should be fired if you did. For wasting taxpayers money, dereliction of duty, etc, etc, etc.
    Crazy suggestion from the OP. Do you think Gardai have nothing better to do than waste time helping you play a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

See if there are any Donegal Gardai on duty in Cork, they are always willing to bend over backwards to accommodate certain requests.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Ludo wrote: »
    And you should be fired if you did. For wasting taxpayers money, dereliction of duty, etc, etc, etc.
    Crazy suggestion from the OP. Do you think Gardai have nothing better to do than waste time helping you play a joke?

Nobody's suggesting they would do it on duty..... You're being argumentative for the sake of it.

They couldn't do it off-duty either. Their uniform isn't fancy dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tazzle wrote: »
    Nobody's suggesting they would do it on duty..... You're being argumentative for the sake of it.

On or off-duty it was still be a gross abuse and more than likely a career ending infraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

dahamsta wrote: »

What would be the difference, between doing this and using their badge to get into clubs for free when off duty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sunnydayz

Oh people, relax about it a bit!
    That was only an idea...and all he would need to do is just ring the bell ask for xxx yyy and give him that box!

Well, try to imagine what you would think if Guard rings at your door, first
    - you could think it is bad news, then you get a box, second
    - you just returned from your holiday, maybe lost something and they found it, third
    - you open the box and see the present and message, well now you know what is going on but start thinking, why the hell Garda brought it to you??? Maybe it just fell of the Post van, so they found it, or maybe they just made a custom search :D:D:D

Anyway, have you ever seen a TV program such as Naked camera a similar? Why are the money spent on such a silly things like scaring people or make fools of them?? And people laughing on it!

Well, maybe you are right, maybe I just will dress up as Bunny or Nurse for him...Very original!!!! :rolleyes:

DM-BM wrote: »
    What would be the difference, between doing this and using their badge to get into clubs for free when off duty?
    So you're saying you think the Guards have some kind of right to do that? They don't. Profiting from the badge or the uniform, either directly or in-kind, is against the rules. I would have thought that was obvious. Although given the brain quotient on this thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

So you're saying you think the Guards have some kind of right to do that? They don't. Profiting from the badge or the uniform, either directly or in-kind, is against the rules. I would have thought that was obvious. Although given the brain quotient on this thread....

No you have me wrong, I'm saying they don't have the right to profit from the badge, e.g. using it to get into clubs for free, but but some of them still do it.

You asked what the difference is. There isn't one. They can't, and shouldn't. If they do, they should be reported and/or shamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

sunnydayz wrote: »
    Hi there,
    is there anybody working for Garda and would be willing to deliver present to my boyfriend on Valentines day?
    The idea is that I would like to have a present delivered to his door on Saturday morning. Thought that if he sees Garda, he might get a bit confused and maybe scared (he is traveling to Holland this weekend :-) ) and the person would just ask for him etc. and then just pass him a box...
    I know a bit morbid, but...with a nice surprise (and relieve).

There is no real reason why a good natured/humoured Gaurd would not do it, however, I just can't see one doing it. I've played a few pranks in my time in the Met in London when in uniform, but that was for friends of friends and I knew there would be no comebacks. I'd go for the female cop stripper option. That would be a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

OMGosh :rolleyes:
    I tougth this was said in ajoking way...but you were SERIOUS! :eek:
    Ireland is really going "to the pigs"....hahaha
    *sob* :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Safest bet might be to rent a uniform from a costume shop and get a friend he doesn't know to deliver it. Or else just get someone to wear a suit and pretend to be issuing a summons.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FullHD

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do it... if i saw a cop walking towards my door i'd think they were bringing me bad news... just my 2 cent.

T

1. I Would have to agree.
    2. Isn't it wasting emergency services time.
    3. I don't see the point in the Garda. Like why don't you stand on one leg when you are reading the newspaper in a pitch dark room. It's not even funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FullHD

sunnydayz wrote: »
    Oh people, relax about it a bit!
    That was only an idea...and all he would need to do is just ring the bell ask for xxx yyy and give him that box!

Well, try to imagine what you would think if Guard rings at your door, first
    - you could think it is bad news, then you get a box, second
    - you just returned from your holiday, maybe lost something and they found it, third
    - you open the box and see the present and message, well now you know what is going on but start thinking, why the hell Garda brought it to you??? Maybe it just fell of the Post van, so they found it, or maybe they just made a custom search :D:D:D

Anyway, have you ever seen a TV program such as Naked camera a similar? Why are the money spent on such a silly things like scaring people or make fools of them?? And people laughing on it!

Well, maybe you are right, maybe I just will dress up as Bunny or Nurse for him...Very original!!!! :rolleyes:

Personally
    First i think Bad News
    Second I dump said sad girlfriend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I wouldn't do that OP. Garda morals aside, bf'd assume that bad news is on the way. It's like a phonecall in the middle of the night. You assume somethings wrong. TBH I do not see anything novel or even remotely humouring about having a guard delivering a gift unless it's for a hen party etc!. It's a lot of effort for a lame idea. Unless he likes a man in uniform that is, in which case it'd be a great present!

Have you considered getting a female friend to dress up in a PVC police uniform... I think he'd appreciate it more ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Theres not a Garda in the country that will do this. Maybe, just maybe if the Garda was a friend and worked in the area but outside of that not a chance

As pointed out, its in bad taste and is a complete waste of Garda time. Not too mention the chance the Garda would be taking concerning a complaint.

This idea ranks right up there with people aking to be arrested so they can share a cell. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

It isn't ? Makes me laugh ! :D

Advertisement