Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All by myself...

Options
  • 05-02-2009 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Dumpsville - Population - Me & one non-refundable ticket to Oz for 5 weeks

With only a couple of weeks to go, doesn't look likely that any of my friends will be able to get time off (in the current economic climate, etc, etc) so my options are to jack in my holiday that I've been scrimping and saving for all year or...

Be brave and go by myself

Problem being, I can't drive, get lost easily and am a girly girl who's terrified of snakes.

Am I mad? Should I just forget it?

Really want to go, but have no notion of how to avoid going crazy being by myself for that long.

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What else did you have booked?

What parts of Australia were you scheduled to see?

I say go. Go and meet some antipodean hunk for holiday fun. :)

Turn it into a city break and enjoy yourself with some shopping and tlc for yourself. You don't need to drive if you stay in and around city areas.

Plus stay in touch with us here - I'll certainly meet you for a beer and a short city tour if you're in Melbourne on your own (I'm female and actually not a horrible person, in case you're worried that I'm hitting on you), and I'm sure others will do the same in other cities.

So - more info - what was the original plan!?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

To be honest you will have an even better time by yourself! That is the way to do it in my experience. Why do you feel the need to be with people you know in a completely different country. The best part of the experience is going into the unknown. You will get to know more people, you are going to meet more friends and have a great time.

Put all your doubts aside and just go for it. There are literally thousands of people who travel alone every year.

Are you travelling to Australia or NZ or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 katiekins

Cheers for that!

Flying into and out of Sydney.

Had planned to do the typical east coast thing, but tbh that was more his thing than mine. Been hearing good things about Melbourne which I hadn't thought I'd get to. So now I'm pretty much open to suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

You Must Go, unless of course he is going to refund you.

Look I am from there, you do not need to see the back of beyond if you do not want to. And the wildlife is not in your face in urban areas.

It is a great time on year to go, great weather.

You can join the group on the bus on the coast, but I am sure once your friends and family know your plight they will proabbaly be able to hook you up with friends and family all over the place. I fyou do not drive offer to pay for the petrol.

Most of the cities have guided walking tours, if you stay in a hostel, you willmeet other girls/guys todo things with, you can share the cost of renting a car.

When you go you may want to try the following:

Hepburn

Yarra Valley and Wineries

There is a little boat that goes up the Hawkesbury in Sydney, gorgeous.

Manly, and walk around to Little Manly, catch the ferry there.

Museums, galleries shopping

Mornington Peninsula

Bright & Beechworth and that part of the world

You may meet someone who wants to go up to Darwin, you could fly up there for a week,there will be lots of day/overnight trips form there.

And remember, just ask, the locals love to show people around.

I am sure once you let people know you are on your own now, you will be spoiled for choice.

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Oh Go

Take up Jacks offer of a Drink in Melbourne , if you get stuck come on here from a internet cafe and ask for ideas.

Sometimes when you travel with people you just see sights with them , if you travel alone its a great way to force yourself out there.

If all else fails I will send the wife out to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I did the East Coast by myself a couple of years ago, it was the best fun of my life. You'll meet so many other people in the hostels that you won't have time to feel lonely. If you do get to Melbourne I'll meet you for a drink too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

the dee wrote: »
    If you do get to Melbourne I'll meet you for a drink too!
    Sounds like an 'All Girls Night Out' in Melbourne!

Might have to organize an alternative night out for the guys :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

katiekins wrote: »
    Dumpsville - Population - Me & one non-refundable ticket to Oz for 5 weeks

With only a couple of weeks to go, doesn't look likely that any of my friends will be able to get time off (in the current economic climate, etc, etc) so my options are to jack in my holiday that I've been scrimping and saving for all year or...

Be brave and go by myself

Problem being, I can't drive, get lost easily and am a girly girl who's terrified of snakes.

Am I mad? Should I just forget it?

Really want to go, but have no notion of how to avoid going crazy being by myself for that long.

Any advice gratefully received!

Cheers

Go Girl,
    Listen most of Ireland is down there allready,you will never be alone.People on here want to meet up with you. So go and dont regret in a few years time.Have a ball,you wont want to come back;).

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

I'm a girl and I've travelled on my own a good bit. The one thing I would recommend is to stay in hostels or other accom where independent/regular travellers usually stay. The first time I went alone many years ago I made the mistake of staying in nice hotels so I would be safe and comfy but you don't meet anyone that way.

Find a decent hostel or guesthouse and you'll be surprised how many solo travellers you'll meet. I promise once you have a taste of travelling alone you will love it!! Have a great time and make sure to let us know how you get on :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I travelled with a load of people. Looing back now, I would have loved to travel alone for certain parts. It all seems very exciting. Every day you meet a completely new set of people so its never the same. Plus some of the places are gorgeous, like the whitsundays and fraser island and pretty much all of the east coast!

Chances are, you'll meet people and stay in touch, and as you travel around you'll end up in the same place as them a few months down the road and meet up again for a drink.

oh, and dont watch wolf creek....;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys. People are so lovely on the internet sometimes!

Plan is... I'm gonna go.

I'm looking into lots of 2-4 day tours where I won't be traveling completely by myself. I figure if I do one of those a week, and then spend a couple of days bumming around in each place, I'll have the best of both worlds.

Still haven't decided between east and south coasts but am narrowing it down. Fraser Island and Whitsundays sound appealing, but so do the penguins on Phillip Island! Although I hear they don't let you bring them home with you...

Have also decided to rediscover my latent photography talents since I won't have anyone to get mad while I work out angles and lighting...

Very nervous, but it'll be worth it. Fingers crossed for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

2535_night%20penguins_web.jpg

Best of Luck

Haha, I'll take that as a vote for the penguins then!

You'll have a ball. If you pick the south coast, me and the dee will beer you up. And give you tips on places to visit. And the dee will be able to tell you whether or not to go to Daylesford. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks for all the advice guys. People are so lovely on the internet sometimes!

Plan is... I'm gonna go.

I'm looking into lots of 2-4 day tours where I won't be traveling completely by myself. I figure if I do one of those a week, and then spend a couple of days bumming around in each place, I'll have the best of both worlds.

Still haven't decided between east and south coasts but am narrowing it down. Fraser Island and Whitsundays sound appealing, but so do the penguins on Phillip Island! Although I hear they don't let you bring them home with you...

Have also decided to rediscover my latent photography talents since I won't have anyone to get mad while I work out angles and lighting...

Very nervous, but it'll be worth it. Fingers crossed for me!
    Best of luck.
    Due to a change of plans. (A friend decided to back out recently),
    I'm going to Oz on my own too. I was a little bothered at first, but i'm cool with it now.
    I'm sure there will be plenty to do/see etc.
    Still a few bugs to work out, but I'm a little too laid back about these things and tend to let themselves work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mrben86

I'm heading to sydney by myself on the 16th. Can't wait, i know i'll be nervous when the time actually comes but for now im excited. When I travel in a group im always frustrated by the amount of decisions that have to be made.

I'll be meeting up with my friend in melbourne though after a few weeks so I guess I have that to dispell any panic that might creep up on me.

If you've already paid for your tickets you should go, even if you decide not to stay that long, you don't have to make a big adventure out of it if you don't want to. Chances are once you get there you wont want to leave anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Hi All,

Absolutely agree with all said in this forum - travelled to OZ a few years ago with my bro but we had differing plans and went our seperate ways, best thing i ever did was to go it alone, you meet so many more people but don't have to go along with all their plans, you can take it or leave it as you wish. Have since gone to Vietnam, cambodia and Thailand alone, not only have i enjoyed it immensely, i found i am a more confident independent person for it.
    My advice is go for it and you'll have the time of your life!!! Let us know how you get on!
    Eims
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ive done the holiday by myself a few times, OP, and honestly, best thing ive ever done. in fact, twas a holiday by msyefl where i ended up convincing myself that going to nz was my best course of actoin, and low and behold, a month later, im in nz, sorting my **** out.

bst thing ive ever done.

best of luck OP. hope stuff workds out.

I have another question...

I had been planning on traveling through Melbourne, but with whats happening, I really don't want to be the gawking tourist while people are trying to recover.

On the other hand, I know from personal experience is that sometimes the best way to recover is to act like everything is normal until you start to feel normal.

What's the current mood like re tourists? Unwelcome intruders or sign of normality?

In Melbourne, welcome. It's the rubberneckers who are driving around the bushfire areas to get a look at what's burned who are unwelcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I have another question...

I had been planning on traveling through Melbourne, but with whats happening, I really don't want to be the gawking tourist while people are trying to recover.

On the other hand, I know from personal experience is that sometimes the best way to recover is to act like everything is normal until you start to feel normal.

What's the current mood like re tourists? Unwelcome intruders or sign of normality?

The fires weren't really anywhere near Melbourne. It's rural Victoria that was most affected. Melbourne is the same as it ever was. You can still visit the countryside if you want. About 50% of it wasn't directly affected by the fires in the first place, and depending on when you arrive, the burnt areas might be getting back on their feet and happy for a few tourist dollars to be injected into the local economy.

Either way, you're welcome in Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

u should go .. why not be brave.. im going to Canada by myself in march for a year hopefully to find work.. its pretty scary allright but. as the motto says no risk no gain..could be **** or it could be deadly..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

the dee wrote: »
    The fires weren't really anywhere near Melbourne. It's rural Victoria that was most affected. Melbourne is the same as it ever was. You can still visit the countryside if you want. About 50% of it wasn't directly affected by the fires in the first place, and depending on when you arrive, the burnt areas might be getting back on their feet and happy for a few tourist dollars to be injected into the local economy.

Either way, you're welcome in Melbourne.

We just left Oz there last sunday, we arrived 11 days previous and rented a backpacker van and drove from Sydney to Melbourne. We passed through a town called Trarolgan on the way and I never experienced heat like it when we stepped out of the A/C in the van. Could smell the smoke in the air and the highway we were on was smkoed in a good bit and this was well before it really kicked of before hitting Kingslake and MarysVille. I'm not sure I would recommend Australia for travelling solo, certainly not if you're planning to tour around or drive yourself. I also found the holiday parks (Big 4) to be well below par compared to New Zealands Top 10 and the likes.

Out of coincidence we're in Thailand now on the return leg of the trip , finally, and whats on the tv but vthe film, Wolf Creek!! :eek: (If your going to visit Oz, ... Don't watch it.)

Hello my lovely boards people.

As I mentioned on another thread, I'm now in Oz (thanks for making me go for it!) and will be arriving in Melbourne for a week on the 13th.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do to fill the time. I've found that keeping myself very busy helps keep the lonelys at bay. Will be staying around the St Kilda area, and plan to do the usual Philip Island, Botanical Gardens, Chapel St shopping stuff, but still have a bit of time to fill in.

Anyone got suggestions on how to waste away a couple of days here and there. Especially if the weather turns bad.

Cheers lads!

Oh well you HAVE to go to the Melbourne beers on the 14th in that case! See the 'beers, 14th' thread on this forum. Am not sure how many are going, but there will be at least a few of them!

Also: aquarium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Hello my lovely boards people.

As I mentioned on another thread, I'm now in Oz (thanks for making me go for it!) and will be arriving in Melbourne for a week on the 13th.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do to fill the time. I've found that keeping myself very busy helps keep the lonelys at bay. Will be staying around the St Kilda area, and plan to do the usual Philip Island, Botanical Gardens, Chapel St shopping stuff, but still have a bit of time to fill in.

Anyone got suggestions on how to waste away a couple of days here and there. Especially if the weather turns bad.

Cheers lads!

Depends on what your into.
    If you wanna do the touristy stuff, check out the Eureka Tower. Amazing view of the city. Try and time it to catch the sunset...very romantic!
    Also the immigration musuem is interesting for an hour or so.

If your into museums and art galleries there's tonnes. The National Gallery of Victoria is on St. Kilda road. That's was really good when I went, but not sure what on now.
    The Melbourne Museum is in Carlton. It's a horrible building, but apparently it's quite good.
    The Ian Potter gallery is in Fed Square, again, not sure what on but they generally have really good stuff.

If your into sport (I'm assuming you're a girl from your username?!? so probably not) you could try catch an Aussie Rules game at the MCG.

If your into gigs there'll be tonnes of stuff on. In St. Kilda there's the Prince of Wales tonnes of gigs on, and the Palais theatre, not so much stuff on, but generally good gigs. Both good venues.

Apart from that I'd just recommend going and checking out the different areas...really nice Italian restaurants on Lygon Street in Carlton. Fitzroy is another cool area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Also: aquarium.

Is this any good?!?

Ask Crumble. She's been to it and I believe she thinks it rocks. Only downsides may have been a little expensive, and you need to spend a whole day in it where she only had a few hours. That's what I recall the feedback was anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

nah, i never made it inside the aquarium. well, inside the bit where you have to pay past. i got in close enough to see the prices, and to himm and haww, and promise myself a trip there later. unfortuantely, later will be at least another year away :(

but it does look like an awesome quality aquarium. but i may be biased, in that i think aquariums are generally awesome.

but fair play on heading out on your own, lady, and you better enjoy the beers (and tell MAJD i demand pics!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I had a yearly pass a couple of years ago so I have been in there a few times. I guess if you are really into fish you could spend all day but I was all fished out after a few hours. Some of the special events they have are quite good.

Advertisement