Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession/Eco idea - ??

Options
  • 05-02-2009 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Why not we have a competition to see who can build the best rig out of free or cheap parts max Budget should be low like €100. Software excluded, I just got the idea from a recessionary thread on after hours and from my struggle to locate parts for an old pc I am attempting to fix at the moment. Buy and Sell and adverts.ie freebies and cheapies would be a help!

I am sure it would stir up interest and could demonstrate IT on a very low budget and how recycling old IT parts benefits the environment.

If this is OT mods please delete, it would be fun in these gloomy times.

:):):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

With the amount of business going bust you would be surprised what you could find turfed out in skips. You may not even need to build one. :D

I pulled a fully working rackmount UPS from a skip in south Dublin last year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have spare components here to build probably 4/5 decent pc's. There are places in the uk now selling very basic pc's with no OS/screen/kb/mouse for 129£. Fantastic value when you think most people usually have a spare monitor and the rest lying around, and the fact that there are a load of free operating systems like ubuntu out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anti wrote: »
    I have spare components here to build probably 4/5 decent pc's. There are places in the uk now selling very basic pc's with no OS/screen/kb/mouse for 129£. Fantastic value when you think most people usually have a spare monitor and the rest lying around, and the fact that there are a load of free operating systems like ubuntu out there.
    It would depend on the specs of those pcs, you would often get net cafes upgrading and rather than dump what they have they flog them off. Some of them can be utter rubbish such as the Celeron slot 1's with the minimum of ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would depend on the specs of those pcs, you would often get net cafes upgrading and rather than dump what they have they flog them off. Some of them can be utter rubbish such as the Celeron slot 1's with the minimum of ram.

Well it's all relative, a slot 1 Celeron with a clockspeed of say, even 400mhz is still great to use as a machine for downloading, or playing old games like Unreal tournament and Half Life, and what have you. I just use my netbook now for those purposes but I used to always have an old Pentium 2 or 3 based machine lying around to use for stuff like that.

The last PC I built from scratch cost me about 120 overall, it's a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 with 768Mb of Ram, 40Gb Hard Drive, 128mb Geforce 4 Ti, 2xDVD Drives, Wifi card, all in a clear Acrylic case with cathodes and a 350w Chieftec PSU. The case was probably the most expensive part.

Advertisement