Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather forecast and outlook for the coming Weeks

Options
  • 05-02-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hey thought i would take the initiative and open this thread,
    Can u experts start posting next weeks models and discuss them ,I heard its possible it maybe another cold week :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its gonna be the February of discontent.

Remaining cold with arctic and Siberian blasts throughout, strikes and economic meltdown, get those tins of bins ready.

A cold cold February

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Its gonna be the February of discontent.

Remaining cold with arctic and Siberian blasts throughout, strikes and economic meltdown, get those tins of bins ready.

A cold cold February

looking at netweather and other sites doesn't seem to be too wintry for next week yet..cold alright but nothing like this week's action. any major weather systems potentially on the horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

looking at netweather and other sites doesn't seem to be too wintry for next week yet..cold alright but nothing like this week's action. any major weather systems potentially on the horizon?

just was well, as i'd say some here need a week off:pac:- if the models are correct from the middle of February onwards it should be quite wintry again.
    i know people say it's all fi, but this cold spell was fi and it came off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

another potential something special fi chart.strat warming influence kicking in maybe?its due to show effect mid feb.high headin for greenland

npsh500.240.png

Evelyn Cusack in the six o'clock forecast seems to thisn sunday could be a snow event..she didn't say exactly where though suppose depends where it meets the Artic air..any of the experts have any thoughts/predictions on this or on next weeks weather?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

ATM it is looking like a snow to rain event (staying as snow in the North) but it's still too far for absolute specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

I heard on BBC that the next few weeks will stay cold with wintry showers but there will be no prolonged spells of snow like this week(hope thats not true). Could we still better what we had this week and have more days off :D?? The snow on Sunday, will it reach Dublin and fall as snow???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Indeed its going to be another cold week next week as just said by met eireann ,cold spell lasting until the end of next week evelyn said!

netweather have the temperatures getting a lot milder on Thursday next with it up to 10/11 degress in some places. Is this likely or is there still a degree of uncertainty? I also see meteireann have a risk of snow in the south on Monday/Tuesday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sunday could well be interesting, as DM2 said could well be snow to rain event. Alos keep an eye out for Monday night/Tuesday morning - another snow event for the east??? ;)

• Advertisement

I like the look of this Netweather update for the second half of the month:

Snow, Ice Risk Ongoing
    (Updated: Friday 06/02 08:58)
    Photo courtesy of Persian Paladin This is certainly now the most wintry period in all the time Netweather has been online (since 2003), and it's going to continue into next week, plus with many long range signals pointing toward the possibility of the second half of the month being even colder it could turn out to be an extraordinary February 2009...

Looking at the here and now though, more snow is falling this morning across parts of the Midlands and the south this morning, it's rain and sleet the further south and east you are, but as the band slides away southeastward during the day it will increasingly fall as snow, even down into the far southeast corner later in the day.

The other point of real interest today is Scotland with heavy snow showers moving down from the north, particularly but certainly not exclusively through the northern and also eastern half of the country. Some quite significant accumulations are possible in some areas.

Overnight tonight the showers continue in the north, but the rain, sleet and snow will clear the south, leaving many parts dry and clear with temperatures dropping away and leaving some very icy surfaces. Into Saturday it's another cold one with snow showers moving down both the east and the west of the country - drier and brighter in between with just a scattering of mainy light showers. After a widespread and hard frost overnight, during Sunday an Atlantic weather system moves in from the west, bringing yet more snow on it's leading edge.

Keep up with the very latest during the cold spell using the Netweather weather radar - updated every 5 minutes and including weather type detection which shows whether rain, sleet or snow is falling, it's the sure way to stay totally up to date - click here for more info.

the met office site shows an update for more wintry weather next week with showers coming south and overall cold and unsettled. have any of the experts any good charts to whet the appetite? need some hope for some snow after the excitment of this week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If wetterzentral can be trusted then next week will be milder (10+) from wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SmokeyBaconDan

It is going to be a very cold month. Its really kicked in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah it looks like this cold snap comes to a sudden end on tuesday night, Wednesday with temperatures back into double figures by Wednesday evening.

I thought it was a bit rash of Evelyn last night to commit herself, this far out, to it staying cold until the end of next week. what a difference a day makes.

Gonzo wrote: »
    yeah it looks like this cold snap comes to a sudden end on tuesday night, Wednesday with temperatures back into double figures by Wednesday evening.

yes but it looks to be colder then again on Thursday? the met office on the uk have it cold all of next week...Wednesday goes against Evelyn's predictions from last night!

I thought it was a bit rash of Evelyn last night to commit herself, this far out, to it staying cold until the end of next week. what a difference a day makes.

what makes you so certain that she will be wrong? i honestly don't know how to get and see future charts to make my mind up, only rely on sites like meteireann, met office and netweather.

what makes you so certain that she will be wrong? i honestly don't know how to get and see future charts to make my mind up, only rely on sites like meteireann, met office and netweather.

to be honest i'm not certain she. some of the models are showing a brief milder incursion for midweek. however, i'd trust what the uk met service says. so if they are sticking with it being cold overall i'd be confident that is what's going to happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could it be a case tho of Ireland in milder double figures and mainland uk still freezing by next wednesday? Sometimes the weather between the east coast of ireland and mainland uk are worlds apart, particulary when it comes to cold snaps and heatwaves.

• Advertisement

the uk met shows ireland staying cold.

the ecmf and gfs models are poles apart on what's going to happen from wednesday onwards.

if the ECMWF is correct it means Northern Blocking and Continued colder and wintry incursions.

if the GFS is right then its a crappy High scenario, with mild southwesterlies.

obviously mike65 hopes the GFS is right:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

the uk met shows ireland staying cold.

the ecmf and gfs models are poles apart on what's going to happen from wednesday onwards.

if the ECMWF is correct it means Northern Blocking and Continued colder and wintry incursions.

if the GFS is right then its a crappy High scenario, with mild southwesterlies.

obviously mike65 hopes the GFS is right:p

i agree- the gfs has been all over the place recently and i would trust the ecm more. also bear in mind that met eireann will use the ecm aswell.

looking at weather online through netweather site, the prediction is that it will get milder later in the week..is this likely per the experts viewing of the charts?

looking at weather online through netweather site, the prediction is that it will get milder later in the week..is this likely per the experts viewing of the charts?

damn it. the gfs is still insisting on it getting milder.
    however, on a more optimistic note the ecm is still predicting the cold to persist past wednesday with a delicious set up for the weekend which could mean snow for many. as has been pointed out i'd put more trust in what the ecm predicts but this could be the one time the gfs turns out to be right. :(

my opinion on the different models -
    ecm is much more reliable for seeking trends fi.
    gfs is a big pile of poo at the moment,just can't handle the prospect of a blocking.only trust it to +48.
    i've hightlighted whats expected soon in the strat warming thread.i believe it.so im not too bothered with the models at the mo.only whats really gonna happen on sunday.the way i see it panning out is in the morning all can really expect some snow and with it gradually getting more mixed as it pushed through.not really expecting it to be very heavy,i could be wrong.def high ground will get another pasting,and we've got a nice few highlanders on here:D.

redsunset wrote: »
    my opinion on the different models -
    ecm is much more reliable for seeking trends fi.
    gfs is a big pile of poo at the moment,just can't handle the prospect of a blocking.only trust it to +48.
    i've hightlighted whats expected soon in the strat warming thread.i believe it.so im not too bothered with the models at the mo.only whats really gonna happen on sunday.the way i see it panning out is in the morning all can really expect some snow and with it gradually getting more mixed as it pushed through.not really expecting it to be very heavy,i could be wrong.def high ground will get another pasting,and we've got a nice few highlanders on here:D.

yeah, obviously met eireann don't think it's going to be heavy or they won't have said something about accumulations. it must be a weak front but still i thought the cold polar air might pep it up as they met resulting in heavy falls in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Still waiting on some model updates lol, what about for mid february?
    Word has it ,it will be cold ,so can anyone throw some pictures this way?

SWEET AS A NUT!!!!! JUST LOOK AT THAT BLOCK.TIME FOR EAST TO GET OUT OF REVERSE AND SLAP HER INTO WARP SPEED CAPTAIN.:D
    AND BEFORE I HEAR OH ITS WAY FI.STOP AND THINK FOR A MIN AND LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE.HAV JUST POSTED A GREAT EXPLAINATION ON THE STRAT WARMING THREAD.

ECM1-216.GIF?07-12

So in laymans terms, would all this strat stuff, mean we are about too get more snow, or just colder? Im getting the feeling people are getting excited ...:)

Im hoping the answer is we'll get more snow for a few days :)

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    So in laymans terms, would all this strat stuff, mean we are about too get more snow, or just colder? Im getting the feeling people are getting excited ...:)

Im hoping the answer is we'll get more snow for a few days :)
    WELL I THINK ITS PLAIN FOR ALL TO SEE THAT IM VERY EXCITED BOUT THIS.IT WILL DEF MEAN COLDER BUT NEVER GUARANTEED SNOW.WE'RE JUST WAITING NOW FOR THE TIDE TO TURN.:D

Advertisement