Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather forecast and outlook for the coming Weeks

Options

Comments

Thanks a million. You guys have played a blinder all week.
    Fingers crossed. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Im not going to post the charts this far out but the models are suggesting the start of what could be a far more potent cold snap then we just had from next weekend. Will certainly have to be watched. Another Easterly may well be on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

darkman2 wrote: »
    Im not going to post the charts this far out but the models are suggesting the start of what could be a far more potent cold snap then we just had from next weekend. Will certainly have to be watched. Another Easterly may well be on the way.

YES LOOKS LIKE GFS IS STARTING TO AGREE WITH ECM.FIERCE BATTLE BETWEEN EAST AND WEST AT +144 WITH EAST WINNING.AH BLESS:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

darkman2 wrote: »
    Mixed feeling from me , I want another cold spell ,but il be away for 7 days in another country from wednesday week, ahh i dont wana miss the next cold spell.

could someone tell me what FI means please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

FI = Fantasy Island..i.e. the forecast date is not within a reliable timeframe to be considered wholly (or sometimes even part) accurate.

Darwin wrote: »
    FI = Fantasy Island..i.e. the forecast date is not within a reliable timeframe to be considered wholly (or sometimes even part) accurate.

Oh okay, thank you :)

Speaking of fantasy island...

Theres a whole week in the ensembles of -10 850 air for Dublin with majority ensemble support from 3 days time.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/MT8_Dublin_ens.png

I wouldnt like to be a forecaster these days.
    Anything beyond 48hrs is a difficult call.
    Even day to day stuff is a difficult call at the moment given our air supply isnt doing what it normally does on account of the Atlantic mixing not having the usual quick effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

ecmwf_500p_4panel_eur.gif
    These look interesting it looks like it's going to get milder towards the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Hi everyone,

Am very curious to know how the second half of february is going to turn out. Is this cold spell going to continue with the potential for more snow?

I've been having a look a Netweather's forecast for Dublin and after this week, there seems to be quite a bit of precipitation forecast with low temps.

On some of the NW forum threads, it seems to suggest that the stratospheric warming effects are going to hold well into March.

Thank you!

• Advertisement

I hope it snows , last year in leterkenny we had snow in april , so never too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Signals now suggest that at last milder weather will start to push into the country towards the weekend.

Temperatures will likely rise to 10c in the southwest during Friday but it will remain cold in the east with temps nearer 1-2c with outbreaks of some sleet or even snow.

But the mild weather will spread eastwards over the weekend with a steady thaw of snow finally arriving with temperatures ranging between 7-10c.

The further outlook then is for much more settled weather with relatively mild temperatures by day but perhaps frost by night.

Weather forecast: Northern Ireland

UK Outlook for Sunday 15 Feb 2009 to Tuesday 24 Feb 2009:

The weather looks set to remain cold and fairly settled through the first half of the period, with a good deal of dry and bright weather by day, and frost and fog patches morning and night. At this stage, prolonged heavy precipitation is thought to be unlikely during the first half of the period, although patchy cloud may bring occasional showers of rain or snow to some areas, especially across eastern Britain. As we head towards next weekend and beyond, the weather is expected to remain cold but turn more unsettled. And with temperatures expected to remain below the seasonal average, there is the potential for more prolonged spells of sleet and snow later in the period, especially towards the north and east.
    Updated: 1204 on Tue 10 Feb 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Absolute chaos on the model front at the moment folks.

Would not want to make a stab at a medium range forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Absolute chaos on the model front at the moment folks.

Would not want to make a stab at a medium range forecast.

Okey Dokey :confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055484822

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

opr wrote: »

perhaps by medium range he means beyond seven days.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

good:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sounds good. dont mind the mild weather returning as long as its gonna be relatively dry. We havent had a proper dry spell in a long time and could do with alot more time outside:)

Gonzo wrote: »
    sounds good. dont mind the mild weather returning as long as its gonna be relatively dry. We havent had a proper dry spell in a long time and could do with alot more time outside:)
    havnt had a proper dry spell in a long time? U must be having a laugh, it didnt rain from dec 26 till past mid january!!! The longest dry spell i remember in recent times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Pangea wrote: »
    havnt had a proper dry spell in a long time? U must be having a laugh, it didnt rain from dec 26 till past mid january!!! The longest dry spell i remember in recent times!

My sentiments exactly Pangea! I thought that post about a dry spell was a laugh - Christmas / New Year to mid Jan 09 was one long dry spell :)

Regarding the upcoming mild spell, I never thought I would say this but after a full week of Dublin daytime temps maxing at 2oC/3oC and nightime temps of below freezing/ -5oC , a mild spell of weather would be nice

And after the snowfall of last week (4 snowfalls in Dublin in one week), I can honestly say that the novelty factor with snow and ice is well and truly over :)

I have had my fill of snow and ice for this winter; bring back normality!

SF

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I forgot about the chistmas dry spell but the last 2 weeks have felt very long travelling daily thru rain, snow, ice and slush that the likelyhood of some dry weather is very appealing right now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snowfan wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly Pangea! I thought that post about a dry spell was a laugh - Christmas / New Year to mid Jan 09 was one long dry spell :)

Regarding the upcoming mild spell, I never thought I would say this but after a full week of Dublin daytime temps maxing at 2oC/3oC and nightime temps of below freezing/ -5oC , a mild spell of weather would be nice

And after the snowfall of last week (4 snowfalls in Dublin in one week), I can honestly say that the novelty factor with snow and ice is well and truly over :)

I have had my fill of snow and ice for this winter; bring back normality!

SF

blasphemer!

change your username immediately:p

snowfan wrote: »

And after the snowfall of last week (4 snowfalls in Dublin in one week), I can honestly say that the novelty factor with snow and ice is well and truly over :) I have had my fill of snow and ice for this winter; bring back normality!

SF
    OMG :eek: ,LOL u need to change ur username , theres no such thing as novelty with snow!! u either love it or u dont!!
    Snowhater :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Cold and show is good in the winter months as is sun and warmth in the summer ones! If we only got that it'd be great! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

blasphemer!

change your username immediately:p

LOL

Funny thing is next winter I will be dying for snow again! :)

SF

Im laughing at what evelyn said last week "cold snap will last until the end of next week"
    my my how the weather forum has got quiet since the cold snap finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Hasn't it just!

But sweetness to be able to breathe again.

Actually did some gardening too; so mild.
    Im laughing at what evelyn said last week "cold snap will last until the end of next week"
    my my how the weather forum has got quiet since the cold snap finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 obrienmichael

The next five days according to Met Eireann is to be mild are their any indications that a cold easterly will develop and bring us some more lovely snow after mid Feburary.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The next five days according to Met Eireann is to be mild are their any indications that a cold easterly will develop and bring us some more lovely snow after mid Feburary.:)

I for one hope that is correct ! Apart from the Snow its gone so quite in here now !

• Advertisement

I for one hope that is correct ! Apart from the Snow its gone so quite in here now !
    Yeah well over on the largest British site TWO,their model thread has had like 5 or 6 posts this evening mainly due to the lack of snow charts.
    Expect at least a week of what we have now.
    After that it's anyones guess.

Advertisement