Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented house & no heat

Options
  • 05-02-2009 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been renting a house for the past 3 years with a room mate. Everything has been fine until the past few weeks when the heating problems began.
    Tonight, the heating has stopped working, again. I'm writting the in my fleece and wooly socks, in a 12 degres house.

The heating was also down for a week a week ago. We contacted the landlord who sent a plummer. Altogether, the heat was back on for 4 days. I will call the landlord again in the morning.

Am I pushing it if I tell them I refuse to pay rent fully at the end of this month since I was freezing cold in my in bed half the time ...

The landlord tend to always do the thing on the cheap, sending friends to fix stuff when they're not working ...

Thanks ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Check the Tenancy Act on the Threshhold or PTRB sites.

The Act says that if there is undue delay re repairs and it is a safety lisue, then you get the repairs done and send landlord the bill...

In this weather, it is a safety issue.

Ring Threshold?

http://www.threshold.ie/

Not sure withholding rent is a good idea unless deducting the cost of repair? But they will know.

Hi,

I've been renting a house for the past 3 years with a room mate. Everything has been fine until the past few weeks when the heating problems began.
    Tonight, the heating has stopped working, again. I'm writting the in my fleece and wooly socks, in a 12 degres house.

The heating was also down for a week a week ago. We contacted the landlord who sent a plummer. Altogether, the heat was back on for 4 days. I will call the landlord again in the morning.

Am I pushing it if I tell them I refuse to pay rent fully at the end of this month since I was freezing cold in my in bed half the time ...

The landlord tend to always do the thing on the cheap, sending friends to fix stuff when they're not working ...

Thanks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

Tell him you want a rent decrease and a heater for your room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You are allowed to make a deduction from the rent for time without heating. As a landlord we learned this to our cost (not that we deliberately left the tenants without heat - our agent didn't alert us for ages so we couldn't get someone in to fix it when we didn't know it was broken!)

Advertisement