Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election

Options
  • 05-02-2009 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering, how could the public force a general election? Is it possible to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Assuming you mean: what are the rules by which the public can petition or force a dissolution of the Dail and hence a general election, there isn't one. That's not particularly unusual, off the top of my head I can't think of another state where it can be done (though there may be one somewhere). See here (and here for a loss of supply forced dissolution). Basically, as long as the current government retain a majority in the Dail, they stay in power for as long as they like, up to the legally prescribed maximum term, which is five years.

Given that what you're asking isn't possible, if you really feel like a discussion on what I assume you're really asking ("how do we get rid of the government?"), there's a rather appropriately titled relevant thread here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement