Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Album: U2 - No Line On The Horizon

Options
  • 05-02-2009 4:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

Can't wait for it to come out.

Even though there is already leaked version but **** quality, apparently this kid recorded with a device when his next door neighbour one of the band members was had the music blaring..

Anyway can't wait.

http://www.u2.com/highlights/?hid=517

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Whoop whoop whoop....can't wait!!! and then it's time to prepare for 13 hours queueing (?!) to get tickets for their tour!!!

i never listen to leaked, crappy versions as i want to hear it the way the band intended if ya get me?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Nothing too revealing but some of it sounds like it might be new territory for U2.
    I don't know why but i've come away with impression that Get On Your Boots will be the WORST song on it.
    I think it's gonna be a good record.

30 second snippets of each song here:
    http://mp3.walmart.com/store/artist?artistId=323502&albumId=103573620&tab=albumDetailsTab&referralLink=%3Ca%20href=%27/store/search/all%3Fkeyword%3DNo%20Line%20On%20The%20Horizon%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Boots is definitely the nonsense rock Vertigo of the album, some very interesting sounding tracks on that WalMart site. Can't wait but not gonna get too excited! :D

Full version of the title track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTMnhSLQJ7c

I'm not too fond of it myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

Full MP3 of No LIne on the Horizon 2 (B-Side from Get on Your Boots single):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/82em8m

This song will be widely available in the coming weeks as it's the B-side to Get Your Boots on - it's the faster version to No Line On the Horizon (a slower, more ambient version is on the album; apparently the band wanted the faster version on the album but Eno won that argument!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

The Walmart preview clips were pulled down but you can now listen to them here:

http://onethirtybpm.com/2009/02/11/u2-no-line-on-the-horizon-30-second-preview-clips/

I CANNOT WAIT for this freaking album! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

That's for the link Messy Missy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

U2 GETS WEEK LONG GIG ON LETTERMAN

By Alex Dobuzinskis
    ReutersFebruary 13, 2009 10:02 AM

LOS ANGELES, (Reuters Life!) - Irish supergroup U2 have found what they are looking for to promote their new album in the United States -- a five-night gig on the Late Show with David Letterman.

For the first week of March, U2 will perform every night on the late night chat show, CBS saidThursday. It's the first time a musical act has been booked for an entire week on the show.

U2 starts the weeklong gig Monday, March 2, and ends it the following Friday. During the week -- on March 3 -- the band and its label, Interscope Records, will release the album No Line on the Horizon.

The band kicked off the Grammy Awards on Sunday in Los Angeles with a performance of their single "Get on Your Boots" and sang for hundreds of thousands of people at pre-inauguration concert for President Barack Obama in Washington DC in January.

Lead by the sunglass-wearing singer Bono, U2 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005.

The band recorded its latest album in Morocco, Dublin, New York and London. Their last album, 2004's How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, sold more than 9 million copies worldwide.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

it's leaked..download it here:
    (removed)

:p Brave Lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Nolanger wrote: »

Both of them look like something New Order would have churned out for a single in the 80s to be honest, so neither of them are the height of originality. :)

it's leaked..download it here:
    (removed)

I wouldn't bother, seriously. I deleted it after the first song. The sound quality is utter toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The album is leaked allright,quality is cd quality most definitely.
    Its certainly not what you could call conventional .
    Very disappointing album overall after listening to it a couple of times.
    After over 4 years waiting for this its a big letdown.
    Best Songs are Magnificent,No Line on the Horizon, Breathe ,and Unknown Caller.

The old voice is back.Sounds like that guy on Achtung Baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aughaway

I have been a long time fan of u2 going back the last 20 years. I have admired the direction they have taken such as achtung baby, in order to keep their sound fresh and cutting edge and they have managed to do that with several albums. That said, this past while I feel the band are tired and I hate to say it, but there is an element of going through the motions now, the obligatory pre album performance at the brits, the rumors of a break up (pre album), I am not convinced anymore that they are the radical band they once were. The past few years they have been trying hard to win a new audience as well as keeping their exisinting fans on side, and in fairness they managed to pull it off, but not this past while. Bono's monkeyesq movement on stage just looks on the verge of the ridiculous. To me they are a band with a fantastic back catalogue but come no where near to now bands such as the kings of leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

can't even be bothered to download it

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Im prepared to take a bit of a lashing here,Ive listened to NLOTH about 8 times now,i think its up there with actung baby ,its the edges album.Im no spring chicken and have a very weird and eclectic musical taste, but there is no other band who have been together as long that can make an album sound fresh and new every time.As i have said on this site before im not a bono fan but this is a really good album...........OH one more thing F*** THE BEGRUDGERS IRELAND IS FULL OF ASSHOLES

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

jazoo wrote: »
    Ive listened to NLOTH about 8 times now,i think its up there with actung baby

I've given it about 4 spins & reckon you're pretty spot on.
    Serious return to form after the last 2 safe albums.

No idea why they went for "Get On Your Boots" as the 1st single.
    There are about 8 better tracks on there.

I'd expect this album to be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

best song and possibly next single is Ill go crazy if i dont go crazy tonight i also like Breathe

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Ok, so I'm a fan, I had high hopes for this album given the buzz, the leaks and the fact that I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes Get On Your Boots....

BUT - genuinely, this is a ****ing mindblowing album. There's maybe 5 songs that are the equal or better of anything they have ever done, songs that sound amazing but also hit you hard on an emotional level - Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, (particularly) Unknown Caller, White as Snow and Cedars of Lebanon are intense, dark, musically dynamic and adventurous. Eno and Lanois are all over the record which is always a good thing. Risks are being taken but in a way that only adds to the overall effect. Unknown Caller is ridiculously good....

The rest of the record is of a very high standard too, the more ordinary pop/rock tracks like Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy and Breathe have already grown on me hugely after a couple of days with the record, the Title track and Fez-Being Born are dynamic, full on experimental rock and GOYB sounds great in context...

All in all, I think it could be one of their best yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Really looking forward to the new album...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

I am addicted to this album, I cannot get enough of it and have is on repeat play. Have been through it god knows how many times at this stage.

Anyone judging the album based upon G.O.Y.B, do so at your peril, it is TOTALLY unrepresentative of the rest of the album. It is simply a MONSTER of an album. All the hallmarks are of a masterpiece. It will definitely form the holy trinity of U2 albums - with J.T, and AB.

How cool is it that they have had (will have) 3 era defining records in 3 successive decades. This surely affirms their status as one of the worlds best ever bands purely on the basis of consistently high quality product and never resting on their "greatest hits".

The album is vast, rich and textured, layer after delicious layer of kaleidoscopic colours and sounds. Edge's guitar playing is superb, just superb, but the real surprises here are the rhythm section...take a bow Mr Mullen and Mr Clayton especially whose bass lines now officially have a BMI of 1000...so obese they are off the scales.

The production is a triumph and a major nod must go to Eno and Lanois as co writers, their influence is very telling.

It is honestly an astonishing piece of work for a band that has been together 33 years!!

This is one happy camper let into the sound!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

All in all, I think it could be one of their best yet.[/quote]

Gulp, I'm gonna say it - here goes - it is their BEST album!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Terribly bland, and I really liked their last album. It sounds like snow patrol except even more generic. Very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I haven't listened to all the songs yet (give me another 15 mins)...but it seems that this will be an album to treasure!

Thankfully GOYB was not indicative of the entire album.

I've never played any song as loud as I've played Magnificent on the way into work this morning!!!

I also like I'll Go Crazy, White as Snow, Breathe and Unknown Caller already.

Gave this another listen after pulling it down again, and i have to say, after a few listens, it's far from great. Anyone who thinks this is a return to form obviously haven't listened to U2 pre 1997. It has one standout track, Magnificent and that's about it.

I'll buy it when it comes out anyway just to complete the set, but a classic, it won't go down as.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

aughaway wrote: »
    I have been a long time fan of u2 going back the last 20 years. I have admired the direction they have taken such as achtung baby, in order to keep their sound fresh and cutting edge and they have managed to do that with several albums. That said, this past while I feel the band are tired and I hate to say it, but there is an element of going through the motions now, the obligatory pre album performance at the brits, the rumors of a break up (pre album), I am not convinced anymore that they are the radical band they once were. The past few years they have been trying hard to win a new audience as well as keeping their exisinting fans on side, and in fairness they managed to pull it off, but not this past while. Bono's monkeyesq movement on stage just looks on the verge of the ridiculous. To me they are a band with a fantastic back catalogue but come no where near to now bands such as the kings of leon.

I dont like the way that Bono has sold out over the years.
    His antics at the Brits with Girls Aloud is painful to watch.
    A band that in its prime never gave any heed to such crummy award ceremonies ,a band that in fact gave two fingers to the establishment,now desperate for a photo call with a joke band like Girls Aloud that have zero musical talent.
    U2 shouldnt be giving these events/pop bands the time of day ,they dont need it.

That said the new album is a bit of a departure from the last 2 albums U2 have made .
    Its far more varied than I had expected.
    Its closer to Achtung Baby than any of their latter albums ,though nowhere as good .
    Some of the songs seem unfinished and a bit disjointed .
    Its a brave effort but its lacking something.

Why did they choose the dreadful "Get on your Boots" as the lead single ?
    Its by far the worst song on the album and I hope its binned for the upcoming tour.

Its time to bring back Mr McPhisto ,the trabants, the darkness, and let their music speak for itself.

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'm nearly finished listeing to it (for the first time) and i'm really liking it so far, lets see how it stands up to the test of time

Its time to bring back Mr McPhisto ,the trabants, the darkness, and let their music speak for itself.

No it's not because thats when their live acts were no longer about the music. It became a massive stage show.

It's time to bring back the dodgy mullet made out of horses pubic hair that stayed straight no matter how much he shook it ala Live Aid and to quote El Bono spend some "time to dream it all up all over again" because the last ten years have been a wretched nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

(sorry, its a bit long)
    I can understand to a lot of people, U2 is a religion.
    I was devoted myself to (Lord of BS) Bono.
    As mad as that sounds I learned real life lessons from U2 songs and I thank them for that.
    But I have grown up now and the U2 train has left Zoo Station. :D Every U2 album was a fundamental bookmark in my life. Maybe its me and not U (2) ;). But I will not be going to any U2 concerts and will more likely see Depeche Mode this year.

As for NLOTH. Ten years ago this would be a U2 B Side album. Its just too conversational, pretend Led Zep and a cut and paste of old stuff (mostly from Achtung).
    Its Bono talking over music. It ticks the U2 boxes, there is nothing they haven't done already in Achtung B sides. Its a bit more Coldplayer than previous albums but its not as groundbreaking as Unforgettable or Achtung or Joshua. The more Eno the song the more I like it, like Unknown Caller or Fez - Being Born. The album isnt compelling enough.
    Ireland along with U2 have lost their mojo.
    Bring back riverdance all is forgiven. ! :D !

(Recent The4ofus albums I think are better than NLOTH.)

For me its not that U2 are awful. They're not. Its just that Radiohead are sooo much better, more innovative. Its a bit like Microsoft and Apple. U2 are Microsoft.

Gnarls Barkley, Alanis Morissette, Fiona Apple, KT Tunstall, Amanda Palmer and many many more are covering Radiohead songs by choice. Maybe its a cynical marketing ploy. But I think the musicians really are actual fans of Radiohead.
    It was also shown at the Grammys. Radiohead performed with a Marching Band with passion. U2 with the big bing screen. Radiohead seem to resonate and be more real. They connect with fans better with Radiohead.tv and putting songs up on the web for remixing.

Listen to this cover of Nude by Radiohead.
    I think Beethoven would be proud.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOQno2w6Phs

Now listen to U2 "The Fly" and tell me that still doesnt sound good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53BDbV7m4Y
    U2 had a bit of balls then and where unbelievably, dare i say it cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry42AY3efqw&feature=related
    and look what as happened. Ironically "OH DEAR LORD" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvthfJVlnH8&feature=related

Advertisement