Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Album: U2 - No Line On The Horizon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    No it's not because thats when their live acts were no longer about the music. It became a massive stage show.

To a point.
    Zoo TV as a spectacle both visually and soundwise was groundbreaking and may never be surpassed .
    Zoo TV saw U2 mocking the excesses of rock and roll by ironically embracing greed and decadence.
    Zoo TV was one of the first large-scale concerts to feature the B stage
    It was far ahead of it's time .
    U2 were at their peak at that time .
    It had Fly/MacPhisto/ Mirrorball Man,the 36 video screens,11 trabants,satellite links,B-Stage .
    I've seen all their tours since 1987 ,each great in their own way,both inside and outside but I'm still blown away by Zoo TV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Liking it so far, better than i expected.

As usual boards like everywhere else with Irish users has the bunch of begrudgers who will say it sucks without even listening to it.
    Yes we are a nation of begrudgers who like to knock our own when successfull :rolleyes:
    We all know Bono can be a pain, i for one can see past that and have done for years to enjoy their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

Dcully wrote: »

As usual boards like everywhere else with Irish users has the bunch of begrudgers who will say it sucks without even listening to it.
    Yes we are a nation of begrudgers who like to knock our own when successfull :rolleyes:
    We all know Bono can be a pain, i for one can see past that and have done for years to enjoy their music.

thats ironic, considering you didnt read the 3 pages in this thread in which most have listened to the "no mojo on meh surprising" album

I also think we are a nation of eejits who think we are a nation of begrudgers. Quit begrudging the*begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Had a listen just to p*** bono and his bean counting manager off.

Did not hear any tracks in Dutch, maybe U2 are not going to learn the language of their new country.

musicmonky wrote: »
    thats ironic, considering you didnt read the 3 pages in this thread in which most have listened to the "no mojo on meh surprising" album

I also think we are a nation of eejits who think we are a nation of begrudgers. Quit begrudging the*begrudgers.

Yes i read the full thread, im just saying no doubt we will see the usual begrudgers.
    Did i say i was referring to anyone in this thread?

eejits indeed they are everywhere :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

You left out important bit, in which you refer to boards. No one specific true.

But if it was people in general then I dont understand the reference to boards.*

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I initially detested the lead single, after listening to it on the album a few times I have grown to really like it. Definitely will be a future crowd pleaser.

Track 2, Magnificent, is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

There's a 60 second clip of each song available here;
    http://www.irishtimes.com/u2/

I'm going to have a listen through now but I'm encouraged by the responses so far. As a massive fan, I really can't wait to get my hands on this on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

have listened to the album 4/5 times now, maybe more and i am really enjoying it. not mad about moment of surrender, white as snow and cedars of lebanon but the rest i really like. Magnificent stands out as a classic U2 song and would fit in on many of their other albums, while Breath, Unknown Caller, IGCIIDGCT and NLOH are great tracks that are slightly different to previous stuff.

anyway i cant wait to see some of these songs done live, potentially top 5 U2 album for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

apparently this kid recorded with a device when his next door neighbour one of the band members was had the music blaring..
    It was their own label, Universal that 'accidentally' leaked the album on their Australian site. Sounds like a blatant attempt at publicity to me...

• Advertisement

At this stage ive listened to it lots of times, still enjoying it but at times i just wish bono would shut up and let the music carry us along.
    A few times there is some really nice riffs going on only for bono to be howling along.
    Not a big deal but sometimes he likes to hear himself too much.

Definitely The Edges work is the highlight of the album for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

At this stage ive listened to it lots of times, still enjoying it but at times i just wish bono would shut up and let the music carry us along.
    A few times there is some really nice riffs going on only for bono to be howling along.
    Not a big deal but sometimes he likes to hear himself too much.

Definitely The Edges work is the highlight of the album for me.

+1

Been played now countless time in the car and I agree totally.
    They're on Jonathan Ross tonite and they'll play Breath & Get on on your Boots. Seen it on his twitter page.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

This album is absolutely brilliant, i cant stop listening to it, especially Magnificent which is bloody amazing, its actually bringing tears to my eyes, the edge is on form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Magnificent is just like its name! Liking the album a lot.....

Moment of surrender has a vocal oh-oh-oh bit thats very like Stay Faraway So Close from the Zooropa album!

The Edge can be heard loud and clear on this record, which goes down very well in my camp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Just got the album home now. I'll report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Ok to be honest gonna say i'm a big U2 fan being that way since I was 13, who liked the last two records and I still cant understand why people give out about it. I thought No Line On the Horizon was gonna be a flop when I heard Get On Your Boots.
    I have given the record one spin and my only question is, why are people ditching this record and U2???

It can be idea to listen to things before having a pop at them.

After 1 listen, Fez is the weakest song, Cedar's of Lebanon isnt great, but I do like the last stanza.

Maginificent & No Line On The Horizon are very good tunes.
    Moment of Surrender, I'll Go Crazy & Unknown Caller are top tunes.

I like the other tracks on the first listen, even Get on your boots sounds better when played in line with the Record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Morfo

This is the best album they've released since Achtung Baby. I think they've unashamedly taken inspiration from some of the greatest rock bands ever. You can hear Led Zep, Radiohead, Oasis and just about every era of U2 (especially Unforgettable Fire). Stand up comedy, Fez and Unkown caller will join the long list of U2 classics.

Having said all that, there's no doubt there are some dodgy moments that the U2 haters will enjoy:
    1. Title track mediocre at best. It sounds like a remixed B-side. Way too much rubbish going on in the background
    2. How many different formats are there?! Come on lads, the only people who buy these limited edition versions are die hard fans - haven't they given U2 enough of their hard earned cash over the years?
    3. Finally, I can't understand what's going on with Get on your boots. I'm a masive U2 fan but I have to admit this is pure muck! It stands out on the album like a sore thumb. It's like they finished making a great album and the some small fella decided "Right, now let's make the loudest, most patronising noise we can and use it to get people talking". I can't think of any other reason for releasing this song. Surely, anyone involved in making the album realises it's pure s**te!
    But for all you U2 haters, you can't hide from the fact that you're interested - you are reading this. Just see past everything that p**ses you off about Bono for a few minutes and you'll find some truly amazing songs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Morfo

DaveH, trust me - Fez will grow on you. Reply in a few days and I bet I'm right

Morfo wrote: »
    DaveH, trust me - Fez will grow on you. Reply in a few days and I bet I'm right

+1

This is very true, im loving the Edges work in fez as indeed the whole album.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

+2, just been listening to FEZ there and its brilliant, sounds a bit dodgy at first and to be honest so did the whole album but the more you spend listening it just turns into this bomb that explodes, was walking down Georges Street lastnight after a few pints blaring the title tracl no line on the horizon and it was just magic, guitar work sounds like ultraviolet if your listen closely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

That fuzz bassline on Get On Your Boots is really growing on me...it makes my ears bleed and Im starting to love it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Why hasnt anyone mentioned stand up comedy yet???
    Its my Fav tune of the album. Cant stop Listening to it. :)
    Great album and its growing on me with every listen. Nice to see em try something a small buit different cos the last 2 albums were definatly playing it safe.
    I cant wait to finally see em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

I’d agree with Jazoo – this is Edge’s album. From looking at them performing on Jonathan Ross and on top of the BBC last night Bono’s voice is in fine form. Compare it to the likes of Liam Gallagher’s voice live – which is now a horrendous croak. And considering that Oasis haven’t been going half as long as U2.

‘Breathe’ is a great track, ‘No Line on the Horizon’ is my own personal favourite. Some nice blend of Eno atmospherics, proper aggressive rocking and Bono’s trademark ‘ohh-ohh’s’. This is their best album since ‘Zooropa’. As others have said, clayton’s bass work is punchier and has an element of groove to it, high in the mix which has been lacking in the last few releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Check out this version of the title track.It starts at 3.25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CCHKGPiLeA&feature=channel

It's a rehearsal in their studio.They sound absolutely brilliant...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Didn't bother with How to Dismantle an Atom Bomb, but I have to say that this is sounding better with each listen. The voice is in top form

Glassheart wrote: »
    Check out this version of the title track.It starts at 3.25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CCHKGPiLeA&feature=channel

It's a rehearsal in their studio.They sound absolutely brilliant...:)

Thanks for that, great version!
    I just love looking at bands jamming or rehearsing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭adamb92

What happened to Bono's hair?:-O
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBME8-yvJU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Title track sounds like Kings of Leon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Could this be how Prog Rock is supposed to sound in the 21st Century?- definately an 'album' as opposed to a collection of songs on a CD- 'moment of surrender' wouldn't sound out of place on a late 80s pink floyd album with Gilmore in the front seat-
    IMO, the best U2 production since Acutung/zooropa era and doesn't sound unlike some of that material, with a hint of Unforgetable fire (naturally enough with Lanois and Eno presence) thrown in throughout ..yea, it's good, very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Looks like they ripped the artwork from the latest NIN albums... (The Slip and Ghosts).

Advertisement