Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Gates Unleashes Mosquito Swarm

• 05-02-2009 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

Bill Gates at TED
    TED, the annual gathering of the most pretentious people from the fields of technology, entertainment, and design, just got punk'd. Microsoft chairman Bill Gates released a swarm of mosquitos into the crowd.

Ending malaria is a particular passion of Gates's, whose Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has spent millions fighting the disease. But he apparently didn't feel like TED attendees were taking the threat seriously. "Not only poor people should experience this," Gates said as he let the bugs loose on his audience, according to Facebook manager Dave Morin. (eBay founder Pierre Omidyar and Twitter CEO Ev Williams confirm the report.)

A showman's way of making a point, perhaps. But it doesn't do much to undo Gates's reputation, borne out of the Microsoft antitrust investigations of the 1990s, that the man considers himself above the law. Doesn't California's Health and Safety Code have something to say about insect infestations?

Link

I can't wait to see this TED video :)

A genius way to get publicity or completely reckless move?

I'm thinking genius. :D

"This is what you get for having the gall inviting someone who actually matters to a pseudo-celebrity circle jerk."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

He probably got a right buzz out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Those bugs wouldn't be the first ones Bill Gates has sent around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I wonder if someone closed all the windows then opened them again to see if it solved the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I doubt he was reckless enough to release Mosquitoes that carried malaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye he obviously checked each one individually to make sure they werent diseased!

or maybe he did an anti-virus scan....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭Wossack

maybe he's just a frickin lunatic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Tweets from Ebay founder in the front row are funny...

http://twitter.com/pierre/statuses/1177480483

more here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Steve Jobs would never release mosquitos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Silverfish wrote: »
    He'd release something a lot more pretentious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Imagine someone got malaria from the mozzies and Billy ended up being locked away for some sort of assault causing harm or manslaughter! I call the company!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

humanji wrote: »
    He'd release something a lot more pretentious.

Yeah but it'd look cool when you sit with it in Starbucks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Silverfish wrote: »
    He'd release gnats with one wing that fly upside down and will only feast on the faeces of a particular breed of cow, call it a feature and make millions from selling it to quasi-autistic "creatives".

The real reason Gates used mosquitoes is part of some elaborate Jurassic Park cloning plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

TED is a very unfortunate name for anything trying to be serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

slideways wrote: »
    I wonder if someone closed all the windows then opened them again to see if it solved the problem?

im sure they just restarted the meeting a few times

that fixes all microsofty problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The video is up:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/bill_gates_unplugged.html

5 minutes in...

Good talk if you have time to listen to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ach, they'll get a patch for it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

what a load of crap. I was expcting some mass invesation with people running and ducking etc. Instead he releases a few bugs the just fly away. Wow!:rolleyes:

That was honestly a waste of time and the talk was poor. He has no charisma and a poor spokesman.

However he did back up his own point about interest only being in areas that affect the rich. As the only way people feigned interest in that speech is because he is rich.

Advertisement