Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The mysteries of Organic Chemistry

• 05-02-2009 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Obviously all of your amazing minds work in a completely different way to mine because I have started to study chemistry (I'm 25 and haven't looked at a science book since JC Science...which I failed) and I'm beginning to realise that there must be an easier way to grasp all of these bond-forming and reaction concepts.
    What way do you go around picking it up? Do you learn about each of the elements first and take it from there, or is it just a natural instinct for you as scientists?
    I'm studying biology as well and I have no problem with getting a hang of that subject so there must be a different way of looking at things.
    Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

Hmmm, I would suggest taking a look at instant notes in organic chemistry.Very good book at explaining the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Oh I hate Organic Chem! Some people can just learn them off, and remember them forever. I'm forever forgetting them.

What sort of degree you doing? If you're doing med chem, pharmaceutical science etc, you might ahte the next 3 years! How's your analytical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

http://users.skynet.be/eddy/sigma_en_pi.swf

This helped me with understanding Pi and Sigma bonding.

Don't worry if you've started studying Chemistry and it seems to be all over the place. It takes a while for it all to click. Look up youtube for tutorials as well. There's lots of websites with basic info on the stuff. Just keep reading!

It's like Maths, you really need to understand the basic principles otherwise your fooked!

Organic Chemistry is the more boring side of chemistry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Pfft says you, organic is great. Larianne is right, just start off with the basics using material that explains it clearly and easily. There's plenty of stuff online, tutorials and such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

The most important thing for understanding the curly arrows and the way certain chemicals are likely to behave is to fully understand electro-negativity. If you have that down, you can look at two organic compounds you've never seen before and predict how they'll react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

tbh organic chem is fairly easy once you understand the curly arrows. once you get that everthing else just makes sense and organic is very interesting with loads of applications.

Advertisement