Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell-outs

Options
  • 05-02-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭

So i see the increasingly leathery Iggy Pop is selling insurance now via his own inimitable style, he can dress it up all he likes but he's a sell-out and i sincerly hope he has trouble sleeping at night.

I doubt it though, as i'm fairly certain he rests his handbagesque frame on the finest egyptian crushed linens whilst using the choicest satin sheets to cover his deplorable carcus, partly paid for by his new bast mates at swift cover insurance!

Anyway... is there any other good examples of formerly cool people selling out to "the man"!!

or, is there anything to be said at all for selling-out at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

It's up to you whether the following people were ever "cool" or not.

Mike Skinner.

KanYe West sold out in the form of a singe entitled "Brand New".

Rita Marley sold her late husband out by selling the rights to the song "Jammin'" and pi**ed off Bob Marley fans the world over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Johnny rotten -> sell out to the hilt
    Rolling stones -> anything for money, financial prossies
    and now iggy pop (very sad)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ozzy Osbourne - 'Nuff said

Normally I hate the term sell out and the way its bandied about but I think a special exception has to be made in Ozzy's case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Why sell outs? Did all these people say that they got into the business just to improve the world around them? No they had a talent and saw a way to make money from it, that's all they are doing now! With the exception of Rita Marley as she was selling her husbands legacy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Courtney Love.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anyway... is there any other good examples of formerly cool people selling out to "the man"!!

Iggy is 62; he goes around shirtless, and still wears leather trousers.

And you think that pocketing a six-figure sum for advertising insurance is the only thing that makes him formerly cool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

We are all sell outs

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

If these people weren't commercially viable you'd have never heard of them in the first place. While some do stick to their artistic guns others take a few quid for themselves. Think of it as compensation for not being able to walk down the street by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Maybe these people were always money hungry and ambitious. Maybe that's what got them famous in the first place. And now their 'real' fans feel hard done by because instead of being sold major-label records they are now being sold insurance. It's just a change of product and it says more about the need of some peole to idolise artists and put them on some godlike pedastle than it does the moral conduct of said celebrities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I would sell out in a minute.

I'm only in this world for the filthy lucre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I sold out years ago and now I only post here for money, not to help the hungry or save the fucking polar icecaps.

This post was brought to you in association with McDonald's. © 2009 McDonald's Corporation - I'm lovin' it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Bono, major Sell-out, except U2 were never really cool, but still he sold out!!!!! Going around helping everyone but me....bollix he is!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Neesa wrote: »
    Rita Marley sold her late husband out by selling the rights to the song "Jammin'" and pi**ed off Bob Marley fans the world over.
    Does it roughly equate to the years of abuse she suffered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Neesa wrote: »

Are you sure Vodafone didn't write the song first and he just covered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Cianos wrote: »
    Maybe these people were always money hungry and ambitious. Maybe that's what got them famous in the first place. And now their 'real' fans feel hard done by because instead of being sold major-label records they are now being sold insurance. It's just a change of product and it says more about the need of some peole to idolise artists and put them on some godlike pedastle than it does the moral conduct of said celebrities.

You can dress it up all you like selling out is selling out, whatever happened to artistic integrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Kenny Egan. Doesnt want to go professional, would rather be a paparazzi whore and punch prices on tv commercials

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Roger "hope I die before I get old" Daltrey was advertising American Express cards - when he was old.

Kenny Egan. Doesnt want to go professional, would rather be a paparazzi whore and punch prices on tv commercials

The man is a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

So i see the increasingly leathery Iggy Pop is selling insurance now via his own inimitable style, he can dress it up all he likes but he's a sell-out and i sincerly hope he has trouble sleeping at night.

He probably sleeps better now, knowing that he has a good insurance policy.

Edit - Nirvana changed "rape me" to "waif me" as well as an album cover, so Walmart would stock their album.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Roger "hope I die before I get old" Daltrey was advertising American Express cards - when he was old.

Who?

• Advertisement

You can dress it up all you like selling out is selling out, whatever happened to artistic integrity?

For the love of God, please tone it down, Sir Gallagher. Iggy will be devastated if he chances upon this thread.

Being a wealthy, famous, respected artist will all be for nought if he finds out that you think he's a sell-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Iggy pop..

never seen anything as disgusting as him with his top off.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Iggy pop..

never seen anything as disgusting as him with his top off.

+1

Like a split frankfurter left too long in the boiling water.

stovelid wrote: »
    For the love of God, please tone it down, Sir Gallagher. Iggy will be devastated if he chances upon this thread.

Being a wealthy, famous, respected artist will all be for nought if he finds out that you think he's a sell-out.

Oh no, so you don't think Iggy will be reading this, i was really hoping he'd find it and change his ways, woe is me.

slowoe is me.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Ah would ya's stop I'd dance naked with a man in a gorilla suit for half the money Iggy Pop made to do that advert.

Money is money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

javaboy wrote: »
    Who?

Lead singer of The Who.

Sad about Iggy as well :( I was depressed when i saw the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

LeahBaby wrote: »
    Ah would ya's stop I'd dance naked with a man in a gorilla suit for half the money Iggy Pop made to do that advert.

Money is money.

In fairness, ye'd do it for free!!! That would be fun!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

Bono, major Sell-out, except U2 were never really cool, but still he sold out!!!!! Going around helping everyone but me....bollix he is!!!
    Bono is a sell out because he helps people?

I only consider people sell outs if they actually used to make a stance against what they are doing now

for example if the clash started to go on "Top of the pops" or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

+1 for Johnny Rotten.

Fecking BUTTER Ad, how much more of a sell-out can you be.

Advertisement