Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Dublin City Pubs Closed?

Options
  • 05-02-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

While in town yesterday i noticed that The Parnell Mooney AND Conways on Parnell St appear to have closed, both pubs are fairly famous in Dublin, The Parnell Mooney was a bit of a dump but has been open a long long time, same as Conways which was a bit better, are both these pubs another victim of the recession?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

AFAIK, Conways was bought for the redevelopment in the area, Not sure about the P Mooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

can't believe those have gone :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Have a search here about Conways. it's all been written several times before. Parnell Mooney going would not be a bad thing at all IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Conways closed a good while back. Funny thing though, it opened up again for a few weeks, with the inner stained glass windows removed. Place was a lot brighter.. but then it closed again, and it's been closed since..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I loved Conway's It was my local, Parnell Mooney was passable. Both are now owned by Joe O'Reilly's Company that also bought most of this block and plan to redevelop the lot, the reason they close them and the Royal Dublin Hotel is to ensure the council remain incentivised to regenerate the area. I would not be surprised if they will not be leveled soon.

Nothing better than a wasteland to help the planning permission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Knob end pub Cocoon owned by King Knobhead Eddie Ervine has closed.
    Floridita on Abbey Street bit the dust after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

IronMan wrote: »
    Knob end pub Cocoon owned by King Knobhead Eddie Ervine has closed.

Ah, I wouldn't worry about the one on Anbbey Street. Boozers along there change name/close down/reopen all the time. Only constant seems to be the Gin Palace whcih is the only one that would be a loss IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I wouldn't really worry about any of them tbh. Ripped us off for long enough so good riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

IronMan wrote: »

That always looked like a nice place but it was in a terrible location, I suppose it depended heavily on the after work crowd which are watching their pockets now. Theres always been a pub in there so im sure something will take its place

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

That always looked like a nice place but it was in a terrible location, I suppose it depended heavily on the after work crowd which are watching their pockets now. Theres always been a pub in there so im sure something will take its place

i got dragged to a work party there about 2 years ago or so?
    It's awful. They don't even do pints. It's just cocktails and bottled beer, lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

floridita was good music and women but terrible drink. Didnt know it closed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Just heard today Mulligans on Manor St. has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jonny68 wrote: »
    While in town yesterday i noticed that The Parnell Mooney AND Conways on Parnell St appear to have closed, both pubs are fairly famous in Dublin, The Parnell Mooney was a bit of a dump but has been open a long long time, same as Conways which was a bit better, are both these pubs another victim of the recession?:confused:

I imagine they were bought up for Dublin Central.

http://www.dublincentral.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Jay D wrote: »
    I wouldn't really worry about any of them tbh. Ripped us off for long enough so good riddance!

Totally agree! The more pubs that close the better. They are a scourge in our society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Hard Larry wrote: »
    Just heard today Mulligans on Manor St. has closed.

jaysus that is a shame as well:confused,bleedin country is falling to bits :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Pal Joeys the drug infested kip is finally gone
    I seen trivia ( used to be the bridge is gone)
    also a load of other places
    One thing is a club at the belvedere hotel Rubix club has opened its an 80 theme really good they play back to the future and police acadamy on the plasmas amongst other things (really made me laugh)
    bit cheeky charging in a tenner but not a bad night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I heard good time charlies is gone too ... bloody recession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

horse shoe crumlin village

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is Redz on O'Connell Bridge gone?
    Past by it this morning and all the windows were boarded up...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    I seen trivia ( used to be the bridge is gone)

Did it ever actually open?

Shame about mulligans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dave_dunne

Bambi wrote: »
    Did it ever actually open?

Shame about mulligans

Mulligans back open now

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

jonny68 wrote: »
    While in town yesterday i noticed that The Parnell Mooney AND Conways on Parnell St appear to have closed

Good riddance to the Parnell Mooney, it was an awful kip full of drunks and junkies. I read before christmas that the owners of Conways had some issues with the revenue commissioners. That might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Is Redz on O'Connell Bridge gone?
    Past by it this morning and all the windows were boarded up...

Being renovated AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

dancor wrote: »
    Being renovated AFAIK

Oh the kiddies playground is being renovated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dave_dunne

wouldn't be surprised if Redz was the next one to shut, seems as though Club 21 and Q Bar does most business around there at the moment...mind you haven't been near the city centre since most of the main piano bars closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Redz has been closed since before Christmas! Well before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Floridita closed???????? That place was good, we had a work do there last year... Very nice indeed...

Cocoon probably made millions on their last night! Everyone was there except me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Redz was closed after a garda raid, it is going to be renovated to be a 21's place with 3 floors. O'Sullivans (I think that's the name) on Westmoreland Street is gone, as is the tiny stained-glass windows pub along the quays, next to a new Development before Ormond Quay..the name escapes me. Major Tom's/Down Under/Ruaille Buaille is changing its name every week..it's now The Scene. I'd imagine it won't survive the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

not suprised about redz..once staggered out of there at about 7:30 am after a "private party" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

The Thomas House on thomas street closed - then open -then closed. Must open for a few student nites from the NCAD beside it.

Nashs beside st pats cathedral, closed.

Wish the temple bar pub would close, 6.60 a pint at christmas. big thing in the papers in january saying the vintners association wasnt puttin drinks prices up for a year, big prees release. no press releases over the last 5 years every 3 months they put them up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement