Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should GSP have let the cat out of the bag? Discussion on fight science.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Mikel wrote: »
    On the subject of game plans, they come off and you're a genius, they don't and well.....
    See Tom Egan in the UFC, going to plan, makes a mistake and game over.
    Nobody's a genius that day

I wouldn't say that Tom's night was going to plan, with all respect to the chap he was simply outclassed by someone with better wrestler and it was evident from quite early in the fight that the gap in wrestling abilities was just a bit too much for Tom to overcome.

With regard to GSP plan, i think it's a bit foolish to dismiss it as mumbo jumbo. Where previously people only spoke of Penn in terms of strengths with one weakness, GSP goes out and thouroughly dismantles him, speaks of his strengths as weaknesses and you don't think that extra knowledge helped him in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I believe they had a plan but it was nothing ground breaking, he's bigger, stronger and just played to his strenghts-wrestling mainly; plus the lube messed up BJ's defense in the position they where most likely to end up in if GSP took him down.

BJ does not have a weak core either, flexibility does not predispose someone to be weak in any area unless they never trained through there full range of movement.

GSP camp are just trying to big themselves up and the next opponent of similar strenght to BJ to try this plan will lose because the plan is less scientific and more fighters using there strenghts, and no one has equal strenghts as GSP at light weight.

Plans are great but fighters have to do the real work and i'd say plans can go out the window very easily..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

cowzerp wrote: »
    BJ does not have a weak core either, flexibility does not predispose someone to be weak in any area unless they never trained through there full range of movement.

Paul, you are a trainer and a fighter, so this question is specifically for you. Do you feel the injury Penn suffered against Hughes in their second fight lends credence to the idea that BJ has a weak core? Or do you think it was just a freak injury picked up over the course of the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Dragan wrote: »
    Paul, you are a trainer and a fighter, so this question is specifically for you. Do you feel the injury Penn suffered against Hughes in their second fight lends credence to the idea that BJ has a weak core? Or do you think it was just a freak injury picked up over the course of the fight?

The rib injury in my opinion was a freak injury and during scrambles these things can occur-just like pulling your hamstring when you go to sprint without preparing, could be weakness or just a freak accident, in saying that, it could also be a sign of a weakness in BJ'S core-but as i believe he does not have this weakness i'd have to go with freak accident.

He's definetly not lean looking but as you know this does not mean his muscles are weak..its speculation at best TBH.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    That was going to plan? :eek:
    To be fair that's not my assessment but that of his coach
    http://ringoftruth.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=579
    the fight itself went pretty much how we thought round 1 was going to go...apart from the last 15seconds of course. we knew john would be a little bigger and stronger and would want to get a takedown and use ground and pound, its what he's known for. our job was to initiate scrambles and get back to the feet. hopefully tire john out and start the offence in round 2. i thought tom did a fantastic job of defending himself on his back. if you look at his face he barely has a mark, it was the 2 hard elbows to the back of the ear at the end of the round that lost him the fight. at 20 tom is doing incredible but he does only have 3 (now 4) pro fights and that error at the end (giving the back with 20seconds to go) is something i know he defineatly wont do again. the plan was defineatly working as john was slowing down considerably and tom took very little damage and was getting back to his feet very well. but fair play to john the one major mistake tom made he capitolised on 100% and didnt let him out.
    Dragan wrote:
    With regard to GSP plan, i think it's a bit foolish to dismiss it as mumbo jumbo. Where previously people only spoke of Penn in terms of strengths with one weakness, GSP goes out and thouroughly dismantles him, speaks of his strengths as weaknesses and you don't think that extra knowledge helped him in any way?
    I didn't say he didn't have a plan and executed it, I said the pseudo scientific nature of his explanation of it sounded to me like mumbo jumbo

• Advertisement
Advertisement