Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MEP Kathy Sinnott takes pay cut

Options
  • 05-02-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Source Irish Times
    Independent MEP Kathy Sinnott has said she will take a 20 per cent pay cut and has written to all Irish MEPs, TDs and Senators asking them to do the same.
    She has urged them to join her outside the front gates of Dáil Éireann at noon next Tuesday, when she will instruct the Office of the Houses of the Oireachtas to reduce her salary.
    Irish MEPs’ wages are paid by the Oireachtas at the same rate as TDs and Senators (€7,791 a month for 2008), while expenses and staff costs are covered by the European Parliament, according to a spokeswoman for the European Parliament office in Ireland.
    After the upcoming European elections in June, a new statute will come into force and most MEPs will be paid by the European Parliament at a standard rate of €7,339.
    Ms Sinnott said: “This month so many people are being made unemployed, they are taking 100 per cent pay cuts. I’m not looking for personal glory.”
    A move by MEPs, TDs and Senators to surrender a fifth of their salaries could “hopefully take pressure off lower paid public servants” and pressure senior private executives “to catch the bug”.
    In her letter, Ms Sinnott wrote: “We all know that there are difficult times ahead and I truly believe that the only way to tackle these successfully is to put ‘politicking’ and political manoeuvring aside.”

well done Kathy its a start

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Fair play. I hope some other MEP's, TD's and Senators take her lead.

Do we really nead the Seanad though? How much would the state save from abolishing it altogether I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Fair play to her. Hopefully it stimulates others to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Big of her. Does that mean she'll stop doing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMtc_QJ4-E

(ff to 2mins 30sec)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

would anyone notice if we stopped paying her full stop? what exactly is it MEPs do other than claim stupidly high expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

With any luck she'll get a 100% pay-cut after the next EU elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Absolutely useless and embarrassing MEP, this stunt won't save her.

Advertisement