Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amunition limit

Options
  • 05-02-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

What limits does everyone have?

Lot of threads mentioning different peoples limits, and wondered what the norm was.

I think most only have the standard 100 limit, and some posts have been made that would seem to indicate this might not always be strictly adhered to (at least for some of the time). one post even mentioned that the FO told the guy that he could buy as many as he liked as long as he didn't get up to any badness and didn't give the cops any reason to have an interest in him.

i recently got an increase to 300 for the shotgun
    still only 100 for the rifle yet (FO said not to push it looking for 2 increases at the same time)

Ammunition limit 127 votes

Shotgun 25
    0% 0 votes
    Shotgun 100
    2% 3 votes
    Shotgun 100 to 500
    15% 20 votes
    Shotgun 500 to 1000
    9% 12 votes
    Shotgun 1000+
    5% 7 votes
    Rimfire Rifle 100
    0% 1 vote
    Rimfire Rifle 100 to 500
    12% 16 votes
    Rimfire Rifle 500+ to 1000
    8% 11 votes
    Rimfire Rifle 1000+
    3% 4 votes
    Centrefire Rifle 100
    2% 3 votes
    Centrefire Rifle 100 to 500
    14% 19 votes
    Centrefire Rifle 500+
    4% 6 votes
    Centrefire Rifle 1000+
    3% 4 votes
    Handgun 100
    2% 3 votes
    Handgun 100 to 500
    3% 5 votes
    Handgun 500 to 1000
    5% 7 votes
    Handgun 1000+
    4% 6 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I had the usual 100 for SG, RF and CF. Asked for 1000 for RF got increased to 250 for all my guns at the same time by the FO, she just overwrites the amounts shown on the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

What exactly is this limit al about? The number of rounds you can buy at a time? Or in one day?

I'll be applying for my first license soon, for a 22.lr, just wondering what to do. Should I just ask the Guards what is the maximum allowable and apply for that? Why hasn't everyone else done that?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

The certificate says
    "and to purchase cartridges or rounds of ammunition therefor, provided that he/she shall not have in his/her posession or carry at any one time more than XXX cartridges or rounds of ammunution thereof"

so you cant own any more than that number (XXX) ever, e.g. 100 at any one time. legally if you had say 5 left and decided to go buy some more you could only buy 3 boxes (75) because buying 100 would mean you have in your possession 105 cartridges.

If you are in a gunclub or are amember of a range then getting an increase isn't too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

500 for a rimfire rifle at the moment. Currently awaiting the returned paperwork to make it 5000. Competition shooter and need to guarantee consistent supply were some of my reasons. Economy came into it, but wasn't pushed, since the ammo is expensive enough as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

.50 (MOA) wrote: »
    so you cant own any more than that number (XXX) ever
    Actually, that was something that came up in here yesterday (and that I hadn't thought about before) - there's nothing I can see in the law that stops you buying more than that number of rounds; just from taking possession of them. So you could, theoretically, pay your dealer to bulk buy, then take possession of the ammunition in lots of XXX rounds, without violating the law. I'd want to check what the dealer's legal requirements were, obviously, and he's probably want to charge you a little for the storage, but there might be a net cost saving in there, and under the current economic fun happy times, every little helps.

ps. For a smart dealer, there might be a market in there, especially for NTSA shooters looking to get batch-tested ammunition, like one of the NI dealers is doing at the moment (they take up to six barrels a month to Eley and batch-test them, then ship in the ammunition).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I have seen licences with a 50 round limit for a 22wmr:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Interesting to see that of the four categories pistol is the only one where more than the default 100 is the norm. Could this be because all pistol licences are issued after an interview with the super where we can make our case in person. My numbers are 100 each for rifles and shotgun but 200 for pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I have seen licences with a 50 round limit for a 22wmr:eek:

me too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Jonty wrote: »
    me too

Ah he was lucky he only had a bolt action!:D if he had 10/22mag he'd get only a few min's entertainment

AFAIK he applied for 100 and he was given 50, I applied for 500 and received 200-- it seems that if you ask for X amount you'll get less than you asked for!!

Did anyone else have the same experience! or did you get what you asked for!

Asked for and was given 500. Was cooperative when asking for an increase and awaiting paperwork for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This is quite embarrassing but I forget if I have rimfire or centrefire, almost certain it is the later. CZ Silhouette .22lr. Either way I have a limit of 100. :o

This is quite embarrassing but I forget if I have rimfire or centrefire, almost certain it is the later. CZ Silhouette .22lr. Either way I have a limit of 100. :o

It's rimfire. The primer's in the big bulging rim, hence the title, instead of a non-integral central primer in the cartridge casing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

100 for my shotgun & 100 for my centerfire. I thought about upping my .22 limit to 500 & put it in for consideration to my FO but never heard anything back so left it at that. Sold the .22LR soon after so no need now.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

750 for shotgun and 100 for .223

Advertisement