Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does it take so long to get a reply in the Help Desk forum?

Options
  • 05-02-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

My original post that started this thread off:
    I was thinking of subscribing and all but I'm having second thoughts now. This is unacceptable customer service.

2nd draft due to people not seeing any sarcasm and calling me a prick (notice new smiley):
    I was thinking of subscribing and all but I'm having second thoughts now. This is unacceptable customer service. :pac:

Now my down to the ground bare bones no fun question that I should have asked:
    I posted a thread in helpdesk regarding a moderators desicion to infract me. I posted it two days ago. He hasn't posted on the thread yet. Why hasn't he posted on the thread?

And I found my answer:
    They [the mods] don't have access to reply in Help Desk unless they are given that access specifically. This to prevent people feeling like they are being ganged up on by others, as so often happens in Feedback.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How long do you consider too long?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Overblood wrote: »
    This is unacceptable customer service.
    Don't you need to be a customer to get customer service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

How long do you consider too long?

A day? Well I posted about an infraction I recieved from a mod, and that mod hasn't hasn't come to talk about it yet. Isn't that what's supposed to happen? I've never used helpdesk before so...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You've gotten plenty of responses. If you contact any service that you've actually paid for via email, you'll be lucky to get a response within 24 hours. What exactly are you expecting?

And half a day? You last posted in Help Desk less than an hour ago. A little bit of patience.

Yeah I've gotten plenty of responses from you, thanks for that. I'm talking about the mod that infracted me. I thought they come along to the threads too??! Instead of leaving it up to other mods like yourself. I started the thread 2 days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They don't have access to reply in Help Desk unless they are given that access specifically. This to prevent people feeling like they are being ganged up on by others, as so often happens in Feedback.

By all accounts, you got a very swift response from monument when you PMed him. The minimum time you should expect for a response from a PM to a mod is 48 hours, but I wouldn't give out unless you hadn't heard in 96 hours. Even then, they may just be AFK.

If you want monument to take a look at the information in that Help Desk thread, you'll need to tell him that it's there. I can give him access to reply then if he wants or he can PM you directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You sound like a complete prick in the OP here.

Customer Service?

Are you PAYING for this website?

You think Mods are paid for this too?

We have lives you know, things to do other than sit and wait for malcontents to show up whinging about a stupid infraction.

Get over it tbh.

Ok I will PM monument again. Have you seen the update on the thread I posted in help desk?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055478749

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ok I will PM monument again. Have you seen the update on the thread I posted in help desk?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055478749

Yes, PM him again, and again in an hour if you aren't satisfied.

Harassing him is the way to go.

Definitely.

Des wrote: »
    You sound like a complete prick in the OP here.

Customer Service?

Are you PAYING for this website?

You think Mods are paid for this too?

We have lives you know, things to do other than sit and wait for malcontents to show up whinging about a stupid infraction.

Get over it tbh.

Ah shut up will you, did you really think I was serious? Of course I don't think I am a customer. Do I have to stick a smiley in every post I make just in case highly strung posters see it as an attack? Feck sake this is the second time this has happened to me!! Did anyone see that as a jokey kind of post? Do I really need a smiley? If I said "I am from the moon" with no smiley would you all attack me? "How can you be from the moon there's no air there blah blah blah". Just think for a bit before assuming that I'm actually serious. This is the internet afterall adn you can't see my face.

Another joke post of mine got reported a few days ago and I had to go back and throw in a smiley. Jaysus.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Yes, PM him again, and again in an hour if you aren't satisfied.

Harassing him is the way to go.

Definitely.

What the hell are you on about? How is sending the moderator a 2nd PM harrassment? I can't believe this.

They don't have access to reply in Help Desk unless they are given that access specifically. This to prevent people feeling like they are being ganged up on by others, as so often happens in Feedback.

I see what you mean now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Would you like me to have a look at it?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Do I have to stick a smiley in every post I make just in case highly strung posters see it as an attack?

You could also

A) improve your sarcasm.

or

B) invent a sarcasm detector.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You realise we get those sorts of posts quite a bit in fact... and they are serious. Genuinely serious. I'm dealing with one at the very moment from someone who should really sign their PM's "Disgruntled in Portlaoise".

In fact, most of the time they are quite a bit more nasty and demanding then you were so its hard to see the comedy when its not as extreme as the real thing :)

honestly I have a stack of "I'm not happy and I'm bloody well not going to be ignored" PM's from people who have [/i]reported a post[/i] , not even had an infraction or anything and feel they are "entitled" to a wide range of whatever takes their fancy.

If you want people to see the humour, you have to be CONSIDERABLY more extreme. At least more extreme then the usual examples we have of "genuine" complaints. :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Would you like me to have a look at it?

DeV.

Thanks for the offer Devore. I'm sure you have much more important things to worry about and I appreciate you posting here. But could you please give your 2cents on the issue I posted about on helpdesk: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055478749

If you think I should get an infraction for that then I suppose I can't argue with you since you are the Admin. Aren't you the Admin?

edit: can I argue with the Admin? LOOK THERE'S A SMILEY HERE: :pac:

I'll swing by but only because I'm on at the moment. I think you should read my other reply on the end of page 1 though.

DeV.

Thanks.

Yeah I read your other post. I shall practice my sarcasm and I shall start using smileys from now on ,just to be on the safe side, and to avoid being called a PRICK by that Des guy. I'm sure he's going to walk away scott free, no infraction no nothing.

My wife does this a lot.

Says something, realises she's crossed the line, and then claims she was only joking.
    Yeah, well where is she now, eh?

Oh **** she's behind m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Thanks.

Yeah I read your other post. I shall practice my sarcasm and I shall start using smileys from now on ,just to be on the safe side, and to avoid being called a PRICK by that Des guy. I'm sure he's going to walk away scott free, no infraction no nothing.

Another lesson for you, since you receive them so well. There is a difference between being called a prick and being told you sound like one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I've posted a few Help Desk threads and got replies within hours I think. Not always happy with the response though :pac:

• Advertisement

There is a difference between being called a prick and being told you sound like one.

It's a sneaky way of calling somebody a prick and is just as effective.

Dades wrote: »
    My wife does this a lot.

Says something, realises she's crossed the line, and then claims she was only joking.

Did you honestly think I was complaining about customer service? What the feck is this, tesco?

Did you honestly think I was complaining about customer service? What the feck is this, tesco?
    Sheesh. Pot. Kettle. Do I need to add smilies?

You think its so ridiculous its funny.... but the truth is its not at all ridiculous because we get them all the time.

I've reviewed your infraction. You'll be glad to know I will lift it.

and then slap a different one on you for linking commericial sites. Sorry.

Also, I reviewed your account including the "less raped babies" comment and the "christians dont need to eat their God will save them" joke.

I can honest tell you; you arent as funny as you sound in your head. You'll need to talk like a grown up if you want to sit with them.

This thread is on death-watch.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    You think its so ridiculous its funny.... but the truth is its not at all ridiculous because we get them all the time.

I've reviewed your infraction. You'll be glad to know I will lift it.

and then slap a different one on you for linking commericial sites. Sorry.

Also, I reviewed your account including the "less raped babies" comment and the "christians dont need to eat their God will save them" joke.

I can honest tell you; you arent as funny as you sound in your head. You'll need to talk like a grown up if you want to sit with them.

This thread is on death-watch.

DeV.

OK the less raped babies was a drunken brain fart, I felt devilish at the time. But that other comment about god sustaining people with no food.... well I wont get into that but It's just the first question that popped into my head when I saw the post.

Hey can you infract that Des guy too?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Look, Overblood, you are new here.

Can I give you a friendly piece of advice? I've learned the hard way, on so many occasions, that it is incredible easy for people to take you up completely wrong on a medium such as Boards.ie. That's what smilies and italics and bold emphasis are for. :)

So, when you post something, take a step back for a second or two and think about how others will interpret what you say. Not everybody gets my own particular brand of humour, and it has gotten me into the odd pickle on occasion.

Have a look around the site and see how things run and see how people interact. Soon, you will get a feel for how you can get your point across, whether it is intended in jest, or deadly serious.

Also remember that moderators on this site are not paid. Despite what you may think, they don't spend every waking hour on Boards.ie (well, apart from one or two), so you may not always get a response in a reasonable amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

He must be Daithi McGee's brother??

Trying to change 10 years of product in 2 minutes;)

Advertisement