Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I Deal with Loss Adjuster?

Options
  • 05-02-2009 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

There was a severe leak in my house in December. the Loss adjuster came out 1 hour later to access the damage and told me to get all the relevent estimates. The cost of fixing the damage to roof, floors and damaged property is just over 6,000.
    I have been waiting nearly 6 weeks now and called him to be told he is offering me 2500.
    i have an excess of 500 on my policy which means i have to pay that amount myself. Is there anything i can do about his offer? I have told him i am not accepting the offer as that means i have to pay 3500. Surely i have rights when i have my house insured?? any opinions greatly appreciated How do i deal with this adjuster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Hi,

first off ask the adjuster how they came to that figure. It may be s/he felt that the estimates were excessive, that some work was not required etc. Also speak to your insurer about this.

Finally you might want to employ a loss assessor. They will work on your behalf to get you the full entitlement of your claim. google them on the net or look up the golden pages.

Loss adjusters work on behalf of insurers
    loss assessors work on behalf of insured

hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

thanks for the reply. I did ask him how he came to that figure and he stumbled a bit. He said he would call me back. think he just wanted me off the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lisaloo wrote: »
    thanks for the reply. I did ask him how he came to that figure and he stumbled a bit. He said he would call me back. think he just wanted me off the phone.
    sounds like you caught him with his pants down and he just rattled off a figure he thought you might agree to!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Having been out of my house for 6 months due to the severe floods in August (Im moving back this week) I have some experience of this. You can bypass the loss assessor as they will only add on fees to your final bill and wont do an awful lot on your behalf. Your insurance company will have appointed the loss adjuster and if you are not getting the response and help that you require by pass them and go directly to your insurers. Six weeks is an awful long time to wait to be told yay or nay. Get onto that phone and give them hell, this is your home, you have paid insurance and you are entitled to be reimbursed for the damages.

Hope this helps - :D

oh and by the way, argue your point, you dont have to accept the first offer, I accepted my fourth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Meself wrote: »
    Hi,

Loss adjusters work on behalf of insurers
    loss assessors work on behalf of insured

quote]

we had a claim last year and tbh the assessors locally would only engage for claim in excess of €25k ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

As people have said, contact your insurer..

We had a similar situation where the adjustor was costing the repairs at way lower than we could get quotes for ..
    Don't be bullied into accepting less than the actual cost..
    I asked the insurance company to get someone to sort out the repairs for the amounts there were willing to pay, becuase noone was willing to do it for that amount.. they rang back an hour later and said we could go with the first quote we had originally been given..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thoughts

1. You may be underinsured , the loss will be adjusted down if so , eg they reckon it costs €100 a square foot to FULLY rebuild house, you are insured for €60 so any claim will be adjusted down 40% . Legit that is and you must prove otherwise.

2. You did not claim for skip €400 to skip it all out .

3. Decoration, this is quite expensive, did you claim and have estimates .

4. Dehumidification , hire of industrial one ( €100 a week) and bill for lekky to run it .

Add all of these on . Finally

5 You are with Quinn Insurance . God Help You so as they never pay out for anything ...it is good for business . The Circuit Court beckons !

I had a problem a few years back and only for 2 3 and 4 I would have been at a loss , insurance my hole :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dandelion

A loss assessor WILL get you a better deal if he's any good and his fees will be paid by the insurance company. Check your policy to confirm this is the case.

You dont ask him to talk initially to the loss adjustor, you ask him to come to your house and asess the loss. You may be entitled to things you didn't claim for.

Ask around, find a good one, they are out there...

Advertisement