Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interactive White Boards

• 05-02-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there

I am involved in a parents association for a primary school. We are currently fund raising for the purchase of interactive white boards. They cost approximately 5000 euro each so there is quite a bit of fund raising involved. I am in no doubt as to the potential benefits of these White Boards however I am worried that the teachers will not have the adequate technical knowledge in order to get the best out of them. The easy answer to this is that training is provided but training doesn't always solve things. It is easy to see how some teachers may look on these white boards as a nuisance that is preventing them teaching in the manner they have been used to and some teachers, with the best will in the world, may not be able to make the transition required.
    I have canvassed the opinion of one (secondary school ) teacher and their experience of them was wholly negative however one sample is never indicative.

I would be interested in peoples thoughts and experience in this matter.

Kind Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Have a read of this :)

Some teachers think they are useful, others despise them :)
    I have canvassed the opinion of one (secondary school ) teacher and their experience of them was wholly negative however one sample is never indicative.
    While the above is very true...
    I am in no doubt as to the potential benefits of these White Boards

...you seem to have made up your mind and are simply ignoring what has been said, instead seeking others to validate and back up your opinion.
    some teachers may look on these white boards as a nuisance that is preventing them teaching in the manner they have been used to
    Very true.

Just my 2c

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

These are in my sons school. OK, its a primary school and I think you might be talking about a secondary school? Anyway, I will tell you our experience.

I peeped into my sons classroom one day (when in Junior Infants) and my son was at the whiteboard, did what he had to do, got it right and punched the air as he walked down to his desk. All the other children were clapping. I was delighted to see the technology being used, and delighted at the effect it was having on my son and the other children.

Teachers can get training, but I am not sure if its from the Dept or privately sourced. Its a tool, and like any tool, if its used properly it can be very successful.

I consider my child lucky to have access to this technology on a daily basis. Its a different way of learning and it helps keep the children motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    Teachers can get training, but I am not sure if its from the Dept or privately sourced..
    :D:D:D
    the dept pay for something ??HAHAHA!!!!!!! They will leave it to the under pressure parents to fundraise, they won't even pay for books for poor children :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement