Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moderately waterproof boots for everyday wear

Options
  • 05-02-2009 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

i have a pair of mendel hiking boots which are great, but a bit heavy for everyday wear. i want something thats waterproof, comfortable, and looks ok for wear at work in a casual dress office, preferably at less of a cost of the mendel's.

anyone got any ideas?
    timber land seems to have nice boots but they are still very expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Merrell do a good range.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

im afraid all the Merell ones look very rugged. loojking for the kind, that looks well under jeans like a Cat or Timberland style, only waterproof and durable. im pretty sure cat are neither, and not sure about timberland.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

fguihen wrote: »
    loojking for the kind, that looks well under jeans like a Cat or Timberland style, only waterproof and durable. im pretty sure cat are neither, and not sure about timberland.

I do not know from your post what you need these boots to do. If they are primarily for general day use around town etc. you could buy whatever kind of boot you like from a shoe shop , suede or leather, and buy a relevent waterproofing agent from an outdoors shop.

hope this helps

Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

that sounds good. i just want something waterproof that will keep my feet dry on the way to work, but also looks ok under a pair of jeans or chords and wont look like they are ruined after walking through a puddle or something. ive had suade/nubuck boots before that just looked awful after use in the rain.

the problem with all goretex boots is they look like hiking boots, and not something any way dressy.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

By its nature, suede will always look " well worn" after a very short time and more so when wet. I would go with leather boots and waterproof them if I was you. They can be polished to keep them looking new for years if looked after properly. Personally I like the well worn look of suede but I don't work in an office so its not an issue for me.

Andrew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I do not know from your post what you need these boots to do. If they are primarily for general day use around town etc. you could buy whatever kind of boot you like from a shoe shop , suede or leather, and buy a relevent waterproofing agent from an outdoors shop.

hope this helps

Andrew

I found most of those are simply not waterproof in heavy rain. You just have to look carefully at the description. Lots of boots are not waterproof, even if they look like hiking boots. Places like Clarks/Ecco do some ordinary looking boots and shoes that are waterproof. You

http://www.clarks.co.uk/MultiValueEpiDrivenLandingPage.aspx?key=Technologies-Department&value=gore2dtex-men

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I have to say for those work shoes that kind of look like shoes and kinda look and feel like trainers you can't beat clarks.

Advertisement