Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WITHHOLD ESB PAYMENT

Options
  • 05-02-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

In light of today's news that the already overpaid ESB workers will be getting their 3.5% rise on the back price increases that are seriously affecting the majority of citizens in this country, the first strike should be a strike by the irish public against huge energy costs.

The method of the strike? DO NOT PAY ESB A CENT!

In theory if the majority of people did this, we'd be successful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

tell us how you get on here on boards... once your electricity is gone... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Wheel + Hamster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hardly a clever idea.:D

Hardly a clever idea.:D

Hardly a bright idea.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Langerland wrote: »
    In light of today's news that the already overpaid ESB workers will be getting their 3.5% rise on the back price increases that are seriously affecting the majority of citizens in this country, the first strike should be a strike by the irish public against huge energy costs.

The method of the strike? DO NOT PAY ESB A CENT!

In theory if the majority of people did this, we'd be successful.

yes that's right.

people should also consider licking the sockets in their house and dancing naked around their gardens hoding live electricity cables.

at least once you've been cut off you would be less likely to die.

• Advertisement

slumped wrote: »
    at least once you've been cut off you would be less likely to die.

andnothingofvaluewouldbelost?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tinytina

Would really really love to, but not realistic unfortunately. Maybe just take up their admin time, by writing in loads of times for clarification of certain points on your bill. Ask them to explain amps and about rounding the bills up, etc etc. If we do this on a mass scale, they would need to hire extra admin staff - would create jobs and be positive for the country :)

tinytina wrote: »
    Would really really love to, but not realistic unfortunately. Maybe just take up their admin time, by writing in loads of times for clarification of certain points on your bill. Ask them to explain amps and about rounding the bills up, etc etc. If we do this on a mass scale, they would need to hire extra admin staff - would create jobs and be positive for the country :)

that would only affect ESB Customer Supply, there are other 4 ESB companies that are left after the butchering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm going to post what I posted in the other thread here in the hope that at least one person actually reads it.

The ESB actually wanted to reduce prices though as it makes it easier for them to kill airtricity and the like.

The regulator kept prices artificially high to encourage "competition". This was all a load of bollocks really though as these companies were never going to take sizable junks of ESB market share quicker because of this inflated price.

I imagine the real reason is because the state gets a share of the profits. So if you want to blame someone, blame the regulator and the Minister for fookups, Eamon Ryan who is also in charge of broadband.

Is a coincidence we have one of the highest line rental costs in the world for some of the worst speeds as well as some of the most expensive electricity in Europe?

Its most likely the common link between the two fooking everything up IMO.

edit--- not done biatching

Comreg are also a joke regulator. They both just do what the minister tells them too IMO which is fook all. Comreg gets its funding from telco's. The more profits they make, the more funding Comreg get and the more money the government get.

Its all a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hey I read thebman, I even replied :)

Maybe we should just attach the regulator and Ryan to the grid, it would cause a few sparks but at least we would be rid of two useless ...

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

jmayo wrote: »
    Hey I read thebman, I even replied :)

Maybe we should just attach the regulator and Ryan to the grid, it would cause a few sparks but at least we would be rid of two useless ...

I'd bloody love to TBH.

We will get a rate decrease because Minister Eamon Ryan spoke to the regulator (which he previously had no control over but magically does now) and he said it may be possible because of now increased competition (like in the past 2 months since he kept rates almost unchanged :confused:).
    In advance of a Dáil vote on the issue tonight, Minister for Energy Eamon Ryan said he expected a double digit decrease in electricity prices this year.

Fine Gael's Simon Coveney said the Minister had finally agreed with him that prices were too high, but that the whole system of regulation still needed to be reformed.

The Minister told the Dáil he had asked the Commission for Energy Regulation to undertake an immediate review of options for a reduction in electricity and gas prices for householders and business.

These are the regulators he previously had no control over (he's in charge of broadband (comreg) as well).
    He said based on present gas price projections, Ireland can expect prices to drop in the next 12 months and beyond.

Argued on the last word just a few months ago that this would only be possible in the end of this year, now all of a sudden, we can do it now.
    The Minister said that the supply-demand problem that arose during the period of sustained economic growth was being addressed with additional plants coming on board.

He said the introduction of competition was also having a direct impact driving energy prices down.

The price that the regulator decides, the price the ESB were asking to be brought down early last year! The price he said needed to remain high to encourage competition in the market which we apparently have now even though fook all has changed.
    The Minister also said the higher renewable targets will have a further dampening effect on prices.

Ah, the compulsory green bit at the end. Not fooling everyone Ryan.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0204/energy.html

I hope you'll all note that the market hasn't changed and Ryan was talking sh*T.

Advertisement