Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Up to 700 jobs could be lost at Shannon, O Leary blames the Government.

• 05-02-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

O Leary is blaming the €10 departure tax introduced in the last budget for the decline in bookings made after March. He has subsequently reduced the number of planes from 6 down to 4 and says the knock on effect could result in up to 700 job losses in and around the Airport. We may yet see tumbleweed on the runway by the end of the year.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=feb&story=gen-en-050209

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Old news, I'm afraid. There was a thread covering this last budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Old news, I'm afraid. There was a thread covering this last budget.
    This is now the reality of it.

Yes!

I think the only change to this tax was the distance covered. When initially announced passengers using DUB would not pay this visitor tax on UK routes. The rest would. I am not sure what change was made. I assume DUB was included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Foggy43 wrote: »
    Yes!

I think the only change to this tax was the distance covered. When initially announced passengers using DUB would not pay this visitor tax on UK routes. The rest would. I am not sure what change was made. I assume DUB was included?
    I don't think any change was made. Dublin benefited from the tax exemptions of being closer to Manchester, Bristol, Glasgow and BHam. (This was the Government way of safe guarding Aer Arran).

Yeah! That Budget! I thought the goverment back tracked on everything. It was good to see the OAP's frighten the life out of Cowen an co.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

there is always someone to blame, again it is never anything to do with ryanair, it is all the fault of the government.

Maybe, just maybe, there is a recession on and people don't have the money to fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Its ryanair playing the political game, just like in every other airport they go to. They are aware that the limerick region is trying to cling onto every job that they have. They (ryanair) are using their employees as weapons. This is the last thing that shannon wants at the moment and will do anything to keep ryanair flying there. It has nothing to do with pax numbers, imo. Just O Leary trying to get one over on the government and show them that they cant have everything their own way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I don't think any change was made. Dublin benefited from the tax exemptions of being closer to Manchester, Bristol, Glasgow and BHam. (This was the Government way of safe guarding Aer Arran).

As if the general region wasn't hit badly enough recently with serious job losses in Dell, Kostal and in the Galway region as far as I recall without such inequitable laws being introduced. Yet another failure on the part of the Fianna Fail government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Indeed, IIRC, the reason the tax was formed the way it was originally (with a 300km limit) was so the PSO flights from places like Donegal to Dublin wouldn’t have to fork out, but the consequence was some ex Dublin flights to the UK were then also at the lower rate. Presumably EU rules stop any discrimination between domestic and cross-border flights.

It did seem to be changed to the satisfaction of Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I don't trust O'Leary as far as I could throw him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

is this the same Michael O'Leary that gave Aer Lingus a hard time for pulling out of Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FoldedShirt

Of course this has nothing to do with the fact that the Shannon base has been losing money for years. No, it's all because of the government tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

(This was the Government way of safe guarding Aer Arran).

Obviously didn't do Aer Arann any good as they are going to the wall.

I don't know how many people are aware of the existing of Aer Arann.
    It'd be a shame if they went bust. They're the only airline that fly to Cardiff even when there's no game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

its nothing to do with ryanair no longer being a cheap airline i havent found a cheap flight with them for 2-3 years now (i live in donegal and fly frequently to liverpool) last christmas i purchased 2 flights from easyjet (bfast int to liverpool) for £95 same days with ryanair £278 (derry to liverpool) 45mins extra drive for me nearly £200 in my pocket. and now with this if you buy duty free and get on the flight with 2 bags we charge you 30 euro i will be avoiding flying ryanair anywhere even if they are slightly cheaper. so my guess is that they are losing business hand over fist and rather than provide some service (a concept gob****e o'leary doesnt understand) and actually provide people with a stress free experience easyjet dont weigh my hand baggae as long as it fits in the size thing, so i can pack 2 days clothes and a laptop and not worry about weight.

now i know the economics of shannon are different to up here but i have flown regularly out of shannon evne using ryanair but i wouldnt bother even looking at ryanair flights now. i think they've killed their particular golden goose.

remeber o'leary saying fool can make money in a boom looks like he's going to be proved right with losses strating to mount aircraft parked up and another 100 due for delivery if i were MOL i'd do a bertie and blair and get out before the brown stuff hits the fan

Said it before and I'll say it again - I'll pay an extra tener to fly Aer Lingus. I despise Ryanair and what it stands for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

its nothing to do with ryanair no longer being a cheap airline i havent found a cheap flight with them for 2-3 years now (i live in donegal and fly frequently to liverpool)

I struggle to believe you. Let take an example of the very route you mentioned.

31 Mar 09 - 01 Apr 09
    Liverpool (LPL) Derry (LDY)

Total Cost of Flight 20.00 GBP

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FoldedShirt

Stevek101 wrote: »

31 Mar 09 - 01 Apr 09

20 Feb 09

Derry-Liverpool

101.05 GBP + credit card fee

I booked a flight with Aer Lingus to Glasgow for early March - grand total was €36.50 with NO EXTRA CARD FEE.

I'm booking abnother one for the end of March and it'll come to about 40 ish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

UNFAIR €10 GOVT. TRAVEL TAX TURNS OFF TOURISTS

No Michael O'Leary, it's all your extras charges and this new £30 excess hand luggage charge that will put tourists off flying with your airline. :mad:

It's just not worth it and Aer Lingus need to be careful not to fall into the same trap :(

• Advertisement

Dyflin wrote: »
    No Michael O'Leary, it's all your extras charges and this new £30 excess hand luggage charge that will put tourists off flying with your airline. :mad:

It's just not worth it and Aer Lingus need to be careful not to fall into the same trap :(

:) It's just a damn shame that more people can't/don't agree with us or see it like we do. I'm worried Aer Lingus will go the same way, I hope it doesn't and if it does it won't be overnight but as for now they seem to be running their ship better than Crimeair with regards treatment of people. Not treatment of customers, the treatment of people.

That horrid word "cutbacks" isn't helping the situation and Aer Lingus top brass have been doing their best to run down the unions and their media have done a good job at turning people against them - there was a thread before Xmas on the issue.

We're an island, the only 2ways to get off of this island is by plane or by boat. Boats only go to a half dozen places so of course we're going to fly. This nonsense that airlines here will go out of business is a dreadfully decietful spin. Together with the excuse "Global downturn/crisis/financial crisis/crunch" et cetera et cetera , it seems they'll get away with firing as many people as they want.

Btw, what's this "excess hand luggage" charge ?

With Aer Lingus they're easy with the hand luggage - check in online and you don't have to see or speak to an Aer Lingus staff until you are boarding. They're not going to get out a measuring tape and scales and weigh everyone's bag as you're boarding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Stevek101 wrote: »

31 Mar 09 - 01 Apr 09

struggle away i have flown in to liverpool 6 times this year not once have ryanair come even close to easyjet prices, and most of the flights (bar the one i was comparing which was booked 3 months in advance) were booked last minute and when i got on the flights they were pretty much full.
    just my experience with ryanair

Excess hand luggage charge if you check in with one bag and buy something inb the shop which doesnt fit in your hand baggage ryanair will now charge you euro 30 extra to get onm their flight (thats how i understand it)

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=jan&story=gen-en-200109-2

http://news.flightmapping.com/09/01/22/ryanair-introduces-30-excess-hand-luggage-charge_2060.html

http://news.flightmapping.com/09/01/22/ryanair-introduces-30-excess-hand-luggage-charge_2060.html

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/ryanair-charge-makes-duty-free-not-so-cheap/2009/02/04/1233423310990.html

this is from the man who said airports should pay him to fly into airports so they could make money from people shopping now he wants to charge you for bringing back the stuff he told us to buy MOL can F*** off

What an elitist attitude to have. You can't disagree that if you follow the basic Ryanair steps you can get extremely low fares. I have flown for 2 cent with them including everything taxes CC charge... That is simply unbeatable.

A hand luggage of 10KG which is 4KG more than Aer Lingus if more than enough for a short break.

Btw, what's this "excess hand luggage" charge ?

With Aer Lingus they're easy with the hand luggage - check in online and you don't have to see or speak to an Aer Lingus staff until you are boarding. They're not going to get out a measuring tape and scales and weigh everyone's bag as you're boarding :)

Aer Lingus also check their hang luggage now and will force you to check it in if its over 6KG...

I sometimes wonder if Michael O'Leary trolls these forums...

Doubtful considering the amount of idiotic people who seem to post on it.

I honestly find it amazing how people support a €10 air tax. Whats next? Follow the UK and want to physically limit the amount of trips you can take a year.

"Oh but I had to fly Ryanair I'd just stay at home."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Just to remind everyone politely, as much as we all love or loathe [censored], airline bashing is against the Forum Charter - we don't want legal action taken against boards.ie ltd.

Airline bashing?
    Hmm...

(*makes that noise Marge makes when she does a hmmm...*)

• Advertisement
Advertisement