Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AutoCad alternative

Options
  • 05-02-2009 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Is there a cheaper alternative to AutoCad that an engineer's office could use? Basically, the big licence fees from AutoCad and the regular compulsory updates (which often require new hardware to run them) are becoming a big cost problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Most engineers offices use AutocAD or Strucad as an alternative. I think Strucad is more expensive though, plus I'm not 100% sure on the limitations of strucad or how exactly it is run as I'm only on the recieving end of strucad files

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

there is a program called AutoCAD LT, which i think is cheaper but doesn't have all the functions of AutoCAD.
    You could look into its price and functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Have a look at Drawing Express. I think it's cheaper than AutoCad but it's quite good. I used it a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

ProgeCAD isn't bad - free for home use, think you've to pay for commercial use.

Will open any .dwg/.dwf file (plus others, those are just the ones I'm in contact with), has the majority of features and is basically an Autodesk copycat, in the style of OpenOffice is of MS Office.

Advertisement