Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biased ruling by the FA?

• 05-02-2009 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭

Just read that SWP is getting suspended for kicking out at Rory Delap the last day. Nothing was done of it at the time he wasnt even booked for it I dont think and in fairness it was pure spur of the moment retaliation after rory delap twice fouling him and he had a quick swipe at him.

Now correct me if im wrong but how many times this season have we seen Ronaldo do this? It must be around 3-4 times and EVERY time hes got away with it. This smacks of pure biased ruling. And I dont even support City but its really annoyed me.

This can be moved if its being discussed somewhere else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i think this was more blatant than the ones from Ronaldo i remember (though i agree that action should have been taken against him.)
    This was a correct call though by the FA imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If the ref saw the Ronaldo incidents, and decided to do nothing at the time, the FA can not do anything about it. SWP is getting charged on the basis that the ref did NOT see what SWP did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

i think this was more blatant than the ones from Ronaldo i remember (though i agree that action should have been taken against him.)
    This was a correct call though by the FA imo.

It would be a correct call if all these incidents were judged fairly. Ronaldos kick outs seemed much like this I remember one where he tried to stamp on a players hand a while back.

Not to mention Bonsingwas ridiculous challenge on Yossi last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well if tehy rule against SWP it sets a stern precedent. They'll have to be just as harsh on everyone else who does it in future.

joe123 wrote: »
    Not to mention Bonsingwas ridiculous challenge on Yossi last week.

yeah well that's in a different category altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

can u just rename the thread title please - another gerrard v ronaldo thread:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ffs, why oh why did you have to mention ronaldo in this? its got nothing to do with him. players kick out in everygame and 90% of them go un punished? why? cos sh*t happens thats why.

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    can u just rename the thread title please - another gerrard v ronaldo thread:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

not once was Gerrard even mentioned until your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Inconsistency in officiating decisions is consistently irritating, no doubt. However I don't think that this individual decision is an incorrect one. And if we are to become generally happy with these types of calls down the road it will be because they do punish where applicable - not because they are deliberately making poor decisions to balance out previous errors.

YDMHSSB wrote: »

ffs, why oh why did you have to mention ronaldo in this? its got nothing to do with him. players kick out in everygame and 90% of them go un punished? why? cos sh*t happens thats why.

None of the posts in this thread up until yours have been unreasonable imo. Lets keep the thread that way, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

As far as I know it is up to the refs not the FA.

The FA ask the ref if they had seen the incident would they have taken action.

If the ref says yes the FA charge the player, if the ref says no the FA don't take any action.

• Advertisement

As far as I know it is up to the refs not the FA.

The FA ask the ref if they had seen the incident would they have taken action.

If the ref says yes the FA charge the player, if the ref says no the FA don't take any action.

Do people think that there should be an FA panel who have the power to examine game footage and reach their own conclusions on whether to mete out a ban / rescind a poor red card, etc irrespective of the game - day referee's opinion?

I'm personally all for taking a lead from Rugby Union on these types of incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

FA are fools. The whole Chelsea rescinded card thing on here the other day showed that. Lampard has 4 bloody cards rescinded in the past 12 months two of them red. Terry also has a rescinded red. What about Ashley Cole and walking away from the ref also ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    None of the posts in this thread up until yours have been unreasonable imo. Lets keep the thread that way, thank you.

apologies.

all im saying is that this had nothing to do with ronaldo and its only inviting a lash from united fans which would then turn into a bashing of liverpool players. sure thats where most threads go on here.

my bad, but i think you can see where im coming from.

Do people think that there should be an FA panel who have the power to examine game footage and reach their own conclusions on whether to mete out a ban / rescind a poor red card, etc irrespective of the game - day referee's opinion?

I'm personally all for taking a lead from Rugby Union on these types of incidents.

I'm not sure I would be in favour of this.

For very serious incidents yes. However I wouldn't call the SWP incident serious. Then we get into an argument between what is serious and what isn't. Plus this would put ref under even more pressure I believe. The have enough to be thinking about without having the thought of a panel looking through every decision they did or did not make after a game. I believe that would lead to them making more bad calls during the game.

If it is brought in then you have the argument about what are they allowed look at and what are they not allowed look at. I mean do they look at the whole match and question every decision handing out yellow cards.

Very murky territory IMO.

I'm not sure I would be in favour of this.

For very serious incidents yes. However I wouldn't call the SWP incident serious. Then we get into an argument between what is serious and what isn't. Plus this would put ref under even more pressure I believe. The have enough to be thinking about without having the thought of a panel looking through every decision they did or did not make after a game. I believe that would lead to them making more bad calls during the game.

If it is brought in then you have the argument about what are they allowed look at and what are they not allowed look at. I mean do they look at the whole match and question every decision handing out yellow cards.

Very murky territory IMO.

Interesting, I would personally have thought the idea of a panel behind them acting as a kind of 'safety net' would alleviate some of the pressure and free them up to operate more decisively - given that they would know that if they got something wrong the decision would not be final?

I agree that giving a panel carte blanche to go every single decision from start to finish might be too much and amount to a re - reffing after the fact.

Maybe if each team after a game was allowed to submit a report within 24 hours that highlighted any areas of the game they would like reviewed by the panel?

My basic question I think is to ask whether the game would be better served through wider use of technology and increased dialogue between clubs / officials / The FA?

Interesting, I would personally have thought the idea of a panel behind them acting as a kind of 'safety net' would alleviate some of the pressure and free them up to operate more decisively - given that they would know that if they got something wrong the decision would not be final?

Their decisions at the moment are not final especially regarding sending offs. First if the send someone off the club can appeal. Second if they don't send someone off they can highlight it in the match report that they missed it.

The thing is they have control over reporting something in their match report, or they can even rescind red cards if they want to after the game.

But if a panel is brought in the control is taken away from them and they are then second guessing every decision. Asking themselves "What will that f*ckin panel have to say about this?".

The are human and in any job people don't like have someone looking over their shoulder questioning every decision. Now they already have this to a degree with the media, and fans. Their employers doing it would make it worse IMO.
    I agree that giving a panel carte blanche to go every single decision from start to finish might be too much and amount to a re - reffing after the fact.

Which leaves it with the argument of what would the panel be looking at? They would be looking at serious incidents which is already there.
    Maybe if each team after a game was allowed to submit a report within 24 hours that highlighted any areas of the game they would like reviewed by the panel?

A mess IMO. Clubs already have a go at trying to manipulate refs before games. If this happens managers would be asking refs to review things just for the sake of doing it and putting pressure on the refs.
    My basic question I think is to ask whether the game would be better served through wider use of technology and increased dialogue between clubs / officials / The FA?

Increased dialogue yes.

Technology yes. But goal line decisions should be first.

IMO the biggest problem with referring is the assistants / lines man. They seem happy to let the refs make all the big calls. IMO there is not enough communication between them. Either refs don't listen to the lines man because they want to show who the big cheese is so to speak, or the linesman are too afraid to make the calls and thats why they are linesman.

Good post, I think I agree with all of it actually. I guess I stand corrected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Of course they're biased. They use the smaller clubs to demonstrate their disciplinary zeal while allowing bigger ones to get on with the game.

Mentioned already C Ronaldo, what about Rooney's recent actions? Terry, mentioned also. As regards Lampard, my big problem is why, if the FA believe he was wrongly sent off half the time, there's not been an investigation.

In any event, when it happened I thought there should be more than a rescinding of the card - it had a large impact on the outcome of a game, and not only favoured Liverpool, but more significantly, Man U.

A long hard look at procedure has to be taken by the FA. If it's an offence it should apply no matter who commits it. If it's not an offence but the referee thinks it is, then referee training has to be looked at.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Of course they're biased. They use the smaller clubs to demonstrate their disciplinary zeal while allowing bigger ones to get on with the game.

Mentioned already C Ronaldo, what about Rooney's recent actions? Terry, mentioned also. As regards Lampard, my big problem is why, if the FA believe he was wrongly sent off half the time, there's not been an investigation.

In any event, when it happened I thought there should be more than a rescinding of the card - it had a large impact on the outcome of a game, and not only favoured Liverpool, but more significantly, Man U.

A long hard look at procedure has to be taken by the FA. If it's an offence it should apply no matter who commits it. If it's not an offence but the referee thinks it is, then referee training has to be looked at.

The Ronaldo, Rooney, and Terry incidents were all discussed at length at the time of occurrence. I think most agreed that both Ronaldo and Rooney acted the dick and should have been punished. The Ref didn't do anything because IMO a lot of them are scared to admitting to missing something or making a mistake and being punished by moving down to the lower leagues for a week or two. Both Ronaldo and Rooney have sent off previous for reacting to situations.

An investigation into what exactly?

Favored united? I'm sorry but thats a matter of opinion. As the game turned out, United gained 3 points on Chelsea and 0 on Liverpool. It could easily have been 2 points gained on both. Which you think is better is just an opinion. I seriously doubt the ref on Sundays game would have been thinking, oh nasty tackle what a perfect chance to help united red card off ya go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I seriously doubt the ref on Sundays game would have been thinking, oh nasty tackle what a perfect chance to help united red card off ya go.

Of course you do, and so do I. But the effect of what has been adjudged an ill-advised sending off has been of favour to Chelsea's rivals - and it doesn't matter what you support, that cannot be denied.

I would be bothered as a coach if the FA thought we were getting red cards without justification.

Agreed, the Rooney and C Ronaldo incidents have been discussed, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be mentioned again, particularly as they are salient in the OP's discussion.

But, as you rightly say, it's just an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It seems like a very unfair system when somebody is suspended in the aftermath of a game while others get away with things and don't get a ban afterwards.

I mean you have that Liverpool/Chelsea game the weekend and nothing is happening to Bosingwa and Gerard and Lampard gets his red rescinded(rightly so imo) but it does seem that there is special treatment given to certain teams and players.

You have countless instances of Wayne Rooney and Ronaldo getting away with things and not getting punished in the aftermath.

There has to be consistency in this department, I mean this is not live football and every referee has the same opportunity to review incidents, if they are not on the same page afterwards then what hope have we of ever seeing refereeing improve on the pitch during a game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

redout wrote: »
    FA are fools. The whole Chelsea rescinded card thing on here the other day showed that.

Redout, hate is baggage, get over yourself and your whole Chelsea hating thing. Life is too short.

Now on topic. I think the big problem here is the FA's process in all of this. If the ref see's it and mentions it in his report then the FA can't do anything as they say it was delt with at the time. If the ref doesn't see it then they can action it.

Add to this that a player who gets a straight red ala Lampard most recently can appear and in some cases get it over turned. Should a player get two yellows which turns into a red they can't as its two yellows and you can't appeal a yellow card. On the same token as the ref saw Bosingwa's erm 'tackle' and mentioned it in the report they can't take action.

The FA in general really need to sit down, tear up their entire rule book here and restart from scratch. There is no point discussing respect for referees when the underlying process that forms the basis of respect is so inherently flawed.

Advertisement