Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first setback....

• 05-02-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi

Started up my business in December 08 and everything has been going really well until yesterday.

I receive goods from shops by reg post and I fix them and send them back reg post. Last week 28/1 I sent a packet off to Athlone and now it's lost. The shop is losing the plot and according to the An Post website my post is lost in space somewhere (last scanned in Dublin). Customer services don't know what has happened to it. They've told me to fill in a claim form but this doesn't help the fact that this is going to have an impact on my business. To replace the item would cost a couple of thousand.

I always thought reg post was guaranteed traceability but as it turns out it's not.

Does anyone have any advise on what to do or had similar situation? How long should I wait before I start making arrangements for replacement.

I have An Post plagued with calls at this stage but I'm not sure what to do now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Registered post does give you much more security but there's no such thing as an 100% guarantee that a package won't be mislaid. Any business that deals with third party couriers, shippers, etc will lose packages from time to time. Did you select the extra insurance option? Standard registered post is only covered for €300 euro.

EDIT: I've thankfully never been on the sending end of a lost An Post parcel but I'd expect them to eventually find the item and return it to you in lieu of compensation. It's impossible to say how long it could take to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Bummer. Is the package insured? I've heard they can be slow to pay up, but you should get it eventually. I'd just hassle the sh*t out of them until I got somewhere. Could be a tough lesson. I personally never even post a cheque. Use a reputable courier company in the future. By reputable I mean not DHL. Their service level has been less that satisfactory for me in the recent past (I'm a regular recipient, not a sender).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I only just found out about the extra insurance option yesterday. I send about 5 packages nationwide a day so it's something I am going to have to do from now on. I was sick when I found out it was only covered for 320.

I wonder what the chances are of it turning up? It's a week and a day now. I guess I'm clutching at straws. This is a first time it's happened to me but I'll bet it won't be the last. I'll have to review my posting system I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi,

Sorry to hear about that set back it is a hard pill to swallow. I would advise the following for the future.

Use a courier service, your options are a plenty but a few I have dealt with are as follows:

Fastway: You buy a book of tickets for nationwide delivery, online tracking and they will collect daily. Works out at roughly €12 per package, I dont think weight or size matters.

DPD: similar to Fastway but probably a little more expensive. I have found they are not good with fragile equipment, they have broken 5 cabinets sent to me.

UPS: Most expensive, best tracking as its real time and they email you update, insured up to thousands but is dear.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Tough blow larko, but the package must be somewhere and it will eventually turn up. if I were you id try and skip customer service and go directly to the source. If you can get in contact with someone in the actual last location of the package you might have a hope of finding it. If you are sending packages of that value id suggest building up a relationship with a good courier company. Best of luck and let us know how ya get on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

larko wrote: »
    Hi

Started up my business in December 08 and everything has been going really well until yesterday.

I receive goods from shops by reg post and I fix them and send them back reg post. Last week 28/1 I sent a packet off to Athlone and now it's lost. The shop is losing the plot and according to the An Post website my post is lost in space somewhere (last scanned in Dublin). Customer services don't know what has happened to it. They've told me to fill in a claim form but this doesn't help the fact that this is going to have an impact on my business. To replace the item would cost a couple of thousand.

I always thought reg post was guaranteed traceability but as it turns out it's not.

Does anyone have any advise on what to do or had similar situation? How long should I wait before I start making arrangements for replacement.

I have An Post plagued with calls at this stage but I'm not sure what to do now.

i sent a customer a pllasma screen tv last september,fully insured it and registered poost,the whole nine yards

get a phone call 2 days later

tv arrived damaged

this was on the 18th of last SEPTEMBER

Customer pulled a credit card chargeback which i didnt fight since it was pointless and the customer wasnt at fault

Customer gets his cash back instantly

I am still chasing AN POst for my refund

they have an official policy of ignoring everything in the hopes that it will go away

ive wasted 20-30 euro on phone calls in the last 5months

they are a disgarce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Thanks for all the replies. Don't worry I will be hassling them at this stage I think they all know my name and the situation. I have personally gone out to the sorting offices but the Dublin one is blaming Athlone and vice versa.

I'm going to look into the courier services listed, very helpful thank you.

Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I think an post respond to solicitor letters pretty good!! I once had a parcel with 50 phones in it. They were being sent for repair to Dublin. some muppet robbed the An Post van with a view to having loads of goodies, all he got was 50 dead mobiles. We did get our money fast as it was a robbery!!

Id send a solicitor letter to head office and see what responce you get..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I am still chasing AN POst for my refund
    send a letter stating that it is now past due and that you will be charging interest at whatever the accepted revenue rate is (0.12% per day?)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 adsw

amen wrote: »
    send a letter stating that it is now past due and that you will be charging interest at whatever the accepted revenue rate is (0.12% per day?)

Hand deliver that Solicitors Letter. Don't send it by post :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement