Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ERICSSON JOBS

Options
  • 05-02-2009 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

anyone know whats happening with Ericsson in Athlone and Dublin? I heard they are being called into a meeting today.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I don't work there, but have a friend working in R & D in Germany and they are slashing hundreds of jobs there so I expect quite a few to go in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 extra1

damn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

They announced something like 5,000 jobs losses globally a while back but didnt think it affected Athlone/Dublin. Maybe things have changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

300 R&D jobs gone in Clonskeagh, all other areas safe for the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 extra1

so none going in athlone?? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

No, just the R&D in Beech Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

The R&D in Athlone is completely seperate to the R&D in Dublin.
    Dublin had part responsibility for one product area with ultimate responsiblity for that product being based in Sweden and thus all reporting was back to 'mothership'. There was already a company in Poland also working on that product and given that the specific activities in Dublin were increasingly focusing towards maintainence mode, i.e.: most of the R&D work to be focused on resolving customer issues rather than developing new functionality (not exactly the picture but it will do for arguments sake), then it could be argued that its not high level and crucial work to Ericsson.

Athlone on the other hand has overall responsibility for a product that will always have to support and work with all new products being developed in overall Ericsson R&D and is the single hub for the product. There are R&D activites in about a dozen other locations worldwide that report directly in to Athlone. Not saying it can never be closed (you can never look forward by more than a year or 2 in IT) but its better placed strategically than Dublin R&D was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Another all employee meeting scheduled for 24 March. Any clues as to what thats about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Another all employee meeting scheduled for 24 March. Any clues as to what thats about?

Normal 6-monthly run of the mill stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I work in SE and we've been badly hit by job cuts recently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement