Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tasteless oranges sold in bags by supermarkets so you cant test one

Options
  • 05-02-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Just took a bite into a horrible one at home.

So many oranges turn out to be below standard if they are in a bag and bought in a supermarket.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And you think that if they are sold free you're suppose to take one and eat it before buying some? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Nody wrote: »
    And you think that if they are sold free you're suppose to take one and eat it before buying some? :eek:

Time after time I end up throwing bags of supermarket oranges in the bin that are inferior quality.

Did the supermarket buyers taste one and then decide to bag them as they are muck?

My local veg shop doesnt mind me sampling an orange / apple, (like they did before they bought them) and thats where I will get all my apples / oranges etc in future as Ive had it with supermarket fruit. Its so bad nearly all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Bland and unripe fruit is now a big problem in Irish supermarkets. I noticed it first in the UK a few years back and unfortunately it had spread here on my return to the ould sod. I am very wary of offers in bags and punnets now. But the problem is not confined to them. Single units also disappoint. The independent fruit and veg vendors might be dearer but you get what you pay for.

Trips to continental Europe provide a teasing reminder of what fruits should taste like.

It's a very hard thing to prove because taste is subjective, but I'd love to see Ear to the Ground on RTE address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

topper75 wrote: »
    Bland and unripe fruit is now a big problem in Irish supermarkets. I noticed it first in the UK a few years back and unfortunately it had spread here on my return to the ould sod. I am very wary of offers in bags and punnets now. But the problem is not confined to them. Single units also disappoint. The independent fruit and veg vendors might be dearer but you get what you pay for.

Trips to continental Europe provide a teasing reminder of what fruits should taste like.

It's a very hard thing to prove because taste is subjective, but I'd love to see Ear to the Ground on RTE address this.

Can you imagine a taste test between organic orange / apples and tescos one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The bigger supermarkets dictate to their suppliers the type of fruit /veg that they want usually a cheap version.

the grower then breeds a particular apple, mushroom, strawberry that will have a pleasant appearance , cheap to grow and has a good yield -- usually this is to the detrement of taste.

so you get what you pay for, cheap fruit and veg that looks good but tastes crap.

also depending on the time of year i see the multiple selling 10kg bags of spuds very cheap these are called whites and are basically solidified water, people think they are getting a bargain but they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't know about oranges, but with a lot of fruits the problem is they're being sold out of season and have therefore either been grown under glass, or transported from the other side of the world in chilled containers - neither of which is conducive to good taste.

Advertisement