Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Ryanair become more reasonable with customers?

• 05-02-2009 4:19pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just had a flight from Bristol to Dublin cancelled on me due to the weather today first causing problems at Bristol and then by the time they had things sorted out here there were delays and cancellations due to the weather in Dublin.

What I was not expecting though was that they would just change my booking to the next available flight and not charge me the difference in the ticket price. Still have to hope that the flight tonight does now happen though, but is definately better service than I was expecting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

robinph wrote: »
    Just had a flight from Bristol to Dublin cancelled on me due to the weather today first causing problems at Bristol and then by the time they had things sorted out here there were delays and cancellations due to the weather in Dublin.

What I was not expecting though was that they would just change my booking to the next available flight and not charge me the difference in the ticket price. Still have to hope that the flight tonight does now happen though, but is definately better service than I was expecting.

I don't think they have a choice, aren't there EU guidelines on what happens if your flight is delayed or cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

I'm pretty sure they have to.......
    It's not new though, same happened to me this time 5 years ago, flight cancelled from Bristol due to snow - was put on the next available flight [granted, it was 3 days later, but it was free!!!!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I wouldnt hold my breath about that flight tomorrow, as there are forecasts of snow in Bristol tonight. Could be ok by the latest flight tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

normally the eu reg on this would state the airline doesnt have to compensate you because the flight was cancelled/delayed due to the weather and that falls under the delay/cancellation was outside of the airlines control.

for example if the flight was cancelled due to going tech they must entitle you to a transfer. id say they transfered your flight to stop uproar by other pax on all flights

• Registered Users Posts: 28 qnhhpa

Sounds better than the service from Aerlingus. I was waiting to board in Dublin today when the flight was first delayed then cancelled. Was initially told we could collect our bags and re-book for free or get refund. Three hours later was finally able to re-book for a departure in two days, with no extra charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭stoneroses

qnhhpa wrote: »
    Sounds better than the service from Aerlingus. I was waiting to board in Dublin today when the flight was first delayed then cancelled. Was initially told we could collect our bags and re-book for free or get refund. Three hours later was finally able to re-book for a departure in two days, with no extra charge.

I was also stuck in Dublin Airport today and had a flight to Brussels cancelled. Several hundred people in the queue for re-book / query /refund etc., Aer Lingus Booking Phone number constantly engaged so pulled out the Mini laptop and decided to rebook myself on www.aerlingus.ie as were many other people with notebooks.

WiFi in Dublin airport charged at €3 for 30 minutes. now I had no problem paying this to get sorted but would it not make sense for the DAA to have both the Ryanair and Aerlingus sites available freely within the Airport on WiFi and then charge for general internet access -- can only see the upside to this myself. 10 mnutes after the flight was cancelled I was booked again for tomorrow and left the mahem behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'm pretty sure it was the day hell froze over. The 2nd, unless my memory misleads me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

surprisingly its an area that Ryanair are good at dealing with. I was flying home for xmas one year from Tees-valley and the inbound flight from dublin was diverted because of fog. So we were just automatically stuck on the flight for the following day. A bit of a pain because i wanted to get home that day. One quick call to the call centre got it switched to a flight from newcastle that night so a quick hop on a train and i was sorted without any extra charge.

Naturally as a low cost airline they would never fork out for travel or accomodation expenses resultig from a cancelled flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 qnhhpa

I was also stuck in Dublin Airport today and had a flight to Brussels cancelled. Several hundred people in the queue for re-book / query /refund etc., Aer Lingus Booking Phone number constantly engaged so pulled out the Mini laptop and decided to rebook myself on [URL="http://www.aerlingus.ie/"]www.aerlingus.ie[/URL] as were many other people with notebooks.

WiFi in Dublin airport charged at €3 for 30 minutes. now I had no problem paying this to get sorted but would it not make sense for the DAA to have both the Ryanair and Aerlingus sites available freely within the Airport on WiFi and then charge for general internet access -- can only see the upside to this myself. 10 mnutes after the flight was cancelled I was booked again for tomorrow and left the mahem behind me. 

I tried to get through to phone number and the internet through friends at home however could'nt change the flight. It turned out because I had a boarding pass I had to be offloaded the cancelled flight first before I could re-book. This could only be done at the airport hence the queue.

The real issue here is why the DAA had to close an airport for hours because of a little snow. I know Dublin does get it very often but still it couldn't take that long to clear the runway and taxiways.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

qnhhpa wrote: »

I tried to get through to phone number and the internet through friends at home however could'nt change the flight. It turned out because I had a boarding pass I had to be offloaded the cancelled flight first before I could re-book. This could only be done at the airport hence the queue.

Did they tell you on the phone that they couldn't change it for you? I was cancelled from LHR on Monday and got a text from Aer Lingus when I was still mulling over whether I should go to the airport (which is normally over an hour away without weather conditions) Phoned the number on the text, spoke an extremely helpful person who said the system couldn't offload me cos I was already checked in but reserved me a seat on the 10am Tues. So I didn't have to go to the airport until Tues and they changed me at the ticket desk where there were no queues cos the mayhem had passed by then. Very impressed overall, I have to say, with the service from EI on this occasion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement