Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M73/72 Kerry Motorway

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Stupido wrote: »
    Aint no difference in the cost of HCDC and motorways

They are built to the same standard, take the same width of land and have the same amount of tarmac

Only difference is the restrictions on access that a motorway designation gives the road.

Likewise 2+2's
    Yea but not even dual is warranted for the N72.

Weirdly Michelin's map of Castleisland already shows the bypass finished!!

Click here and zoom out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

The N72/73 is in need of an upgrade, irrespective of my arguements for a motorway into Kerry.

Normally this would result in a wide single carraigeway through greenfield. However the clever engineers in the NRA have realised that the same width of a wide single can be squeezed to fit in 2+2 (thanks to the squeezie concrete barrier machine) and for very little extra cost, you can have a dual carraigeway instead of a single carraigeway. Only problem is existing access to land.

soooooooo.......... a bit of redesignation close to an election and we may very well see an M72/73 become reality :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i still dont think its a goer....that road is really very quiet and parts of it ahve already been improved,especially at the Kerry end and the only bit that is really bad is the Mallow to Kildorrey bit which needs straigtening/widening rather than replacing, and part of that will benefit from the M20 work anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

Had the pleasure of driving the N72/73 over the weekend.

Very little hard shoulders, overtaking areas, lots of narrow stretches of carrigeway...and quite a bit of traffic too.

I think it is a medium term objective to upgrade this road to at least DC

If people want to develop tourism in Kerry, this is the way forward. It is SO much shorter than going via limerick BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Very little hard shoulders, overtaking areas, lots of narrow stretches of carrigeway...and quite a bit of traffic too.

If people want to develop tourism in Kerry, this is the way forward. It is SO much shorter than going via limerick BTW

Cus you live there:rolleyes:

in short, NO thats not going to happen. it would be lunacy to agree with you.

There is NOT much traffic using this road, and to say so from your mouth, is again lunacy.

Give it over. Local gobeenism. Fantasy out the door please, I have no paitence for this bullsh!t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

mysterious wrote: »
    Cus you live there:rolleyes:

in short, NO thats not going to happen. it would be lunacy to agree with you.

There is NOT much traffic using this road, and to say so from your mouth, is again lunacy.

Give it over. Local gobeenism. Fantasy out the door please, I have no paitence for this bullsh!t

It'll make a great link to the Bog of Allen International Airport! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

A motorway in kerry.

lol

maybe in 2156 there might be one....

A motorway in kerry.

lol

maybe in 2156 there might be one....

I know, another local man in horseleap or around there

Wanted a international airport in the bog of Allen.... He lived there was the reason. So he could walk out of his house and hop on a plane a short distance away.

I tell ta, some local people have funny notions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you asked fro our opinions, youve had them, now give it up eh?

the Tourist routes to Kerry are (or will be ) well provided for via Cork and Limerick. The N72 is less than 2 miles from my home and carries a low volume of purely local traffic.There is no need for anything more than improving the existing road

Also with the upgraded N21 and M20. It will even take more traffic off the existing low traffic N72/N73 again further.

There is no money anyway to upgrade a low class secondary road and nor is there any point in upgrading this road to a motorway. It's insane.

The Castleisland bypass is going ahead soon, along with the Adare bypass. Most of the Kerry traffic go via the N21. As Corktina said give it over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The Castleisland bypass is going ahead soon

It sure is for definite :D:D:D:D

http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/department-of-finance-gives-green-light-to-castleisland-bypass/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Why has noone thought of upgrading the Ring of Kerry to motorway yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Stark wrote: »
    Why has noone thought of upgrading the Ring of Kerry to motorway yet :)

Not every person from Kerry is so self centered. I think we all know that the N72 doesnt need to be upgraded to any standard or maybe a bit of realigning at most.

Stupido, it really is a fantasy your dreaming of here. I could think of over at least 50 or 60 routes that have more traffic counts on them. If you want a motorway move house!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

tech2 wrote: »

Good to hear that they've finally given the final goahead. Now I still wont be entirely happy until there are diggers on the ground, but at least this scheme looks reasonably sure to be going ahead. If only it was located in Adare instead :D

They should include the Adare bypass onto the M20 scheme. It makes logical sense. Since the New M20/M21 is 2km north of adare. They could just swing a 6km routh to the south of the town ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

They should include the Adare bypass onto the M20 scheme. It makes logical sense. Since the New M20/M21 is 2km north of adare. They could just swing a 6km routh to the south of the town ffs.

...but why not simply incorporate the now proposed Adare Bypass (6km or something?) into the M20 (North Section) scheme? The N21 approach to the M20 will have to be altered anyway.

As for the M72/73, it's a non-runner - anyway, it goes nowhere near any intermediate towns like NCW or MC which need bypasses in the locality urgently!

Regards!

...but why not simply incorporate the now proposed Adare Bypass (6km or something?) into the M20 (North Section) scheme? The N21 approach to the M20 will have to be altered anyway.

As for the M72/73, it's a non-runner - anyway, it goes nowhere near any intermediate towns like NCW or MC which need bypasses in the locality urgently!

Regards!

Whichever route is best is best. I'm just going along the lines of the M7/M8. The M20 goes to the south. I'm just assumming the M21 would stay mainline for a bit and branch off which would mean that it would go south of Adare.

It would cheaper to do it this way, if incoporating it into the M20 scheme rather than building a bypass north and upgrading the existing N21.

Advertisement