Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Schools - Want advice on minimising disruption

Options
  • 05-02-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

We are moving our DD to another school. We've thought this through carefully and I'd don't wish to discuss our reasons.

However, I would be really grateful for advice from people who have gone through this on how to make this as easy as possible on our daughter.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

It really depends on her age. Will she moving far away from her friends? My advice is make it a big adventure. She will be upset for a while but on her blue days maybe take her out in the new area and do something fun with her.

Get to know one or two of the childrens parents when she first starts and perhaps make a play date with them if she is finding it difficult to make friends. Sometimes all they need is for the ice to be broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I think it's as important to keep up contact with her old friends as it is to establish new friendships. It may dwindle in time but cutting contact completely may feel like a punishment. Maintain any extra curriculars if there are any and explain to her as you feel most appropriate why she is moving school.
    I'm basing this on one example I know of where the child was instantly happier in the new school but still meets with some of her old friends regularly, which has eased the process greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks for the advice guys. DD is 5, nearly 6. We should defo try and keep contact with her old friends.

My OH is really good at turning things into an adventure... she even had our kids excited about going to the dentist!!! Wish my mum had pulled that one off!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I moved my kids school during primary. And like you we felt it was the right thing to do.

The kids adjusted really well to the move, and now admit that it was the best move for them.

At almost 6 she will easily make new friends, and in a short amount of time will have adjusted. If there is any afterschool groups/dance class etc within the school it would probably help to get her to join up.

Also invite someone over on a regular basis for playdate - Fridays are always good days for this - chop and change the kids - that way she has a good chance to mix.

I would say if your happier with the new school, and feel its the right choice, then all will be well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I went to 10 schools. Here's my advice:

Move her at the opening of the new school year, if at all possible. Otherwise she's going to land into a society where everyone's paired off as friends and joined up in groups, and she'll be the lonely outsider.

Move her to a school that's near your home, if possible. You want her to be able to invite new friends home for tea and homework.

Move her to a school where she knows at least one other person, if possible - but this is a bit difficult. But it does make the transition into a new school much easier.

And finally: make homework time a positive and happy time for her - bring her treats - milk and biscuits or whatever she likes. Discuss her homework with her, in an approving way.

(I'm clearing out my attic to have it insulated, and came across a book of my son's school essays. I'd never read them. They were really good, but every one had some negative comment from the teacher: "Adequate, but should have been more personal", "Not a riverrun" (on one that was on the theme "My Riverrun"), and so on. If a parent can give good feedback, it is reinforcing for the kid's efforts.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks guys.

OH and DD went to visit the new school and new principal yesterday. DD is very excited and so are we :-)

Advertisement