Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDV to DVD

Options
  • 05-02-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

I hope someone here can help.

I have a couple of 1 hour long Mini-DV tapes of a family event recorded on a Canon HV30 camera in HDV format. The camera owner has lent me the camera so I can play the tapes out. What I want to do is store the footage on my computer (external hard disk has 100s of Gigs of space) and write a DVD disk to give to another family member. No editing, etc. Sounded easy but I'm very getting very confused.

I've managed to create 10Gb .mpg (MPEG-2?) files using Roxio Media Import which came with my Dell laptop. The Roxio MyDVD software gives a "The file you are trying to use cannot be edited, and has not been added" when I try to select the .mpg file, but I don't know if this is because it's a HDV file or some other issue. Windows Media Player can play the file, it looks and sounds great on the screen. I also have Windows Movie Maker but can't get it to record off the camera or play the .mpg file.

Question is what should I be doing, what software/codec should I be using, or more basically, is my plan possible? I still have the camera so I can play the video out again but I don't really want to buy new software so I'd prefer to use what I have or free/open source software. If I can't do this myself, is there a cheap way to get it done. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

www.doom9.org will have all you need including guides

Advertisement