Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film processing

• 05-02-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I get B&W film would a normal film processor be able to print it out properly (that sentence sounds a bit awkward - basically can the Costcos, Walmarts etc. do the prints or will it come out incorrectly?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

regular colour printers won't print it the same way it would look on true black and white paper but may suffice depending on what you do with your prints

Colour labs don't give the same tones and often have a blue or brown tint on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You can get C41 b&w film, it's black and white that you can process in normal chemistry.

A friend of mine that develops all of my colour film reckons putting normal b&w through colour strips it - I haven't done it myself, but from what I've read, the chemicals are a lot more abrasive than the chem's in b&w - I think it's the bleaches used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I don't know if you are looking for somewhere to get it done but Gunne's in Wexford St. are the biz if you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fajitas! wrote: »

A friend of mine that develops all of my colour film reckons putting normal b&w through colour strips it

Yep. The developer stage in C-41 first develops the silver (as with a normal B&W developer) and then activates the dye couplers which effectively creates the dye clouds in the emulsion corresponding to where the silver has been developed.

The next step is the Bleach step which is specifically there to strip out all the developed silver (and unactivated dye couplers) leaving only the dye behind. Then the fix does the same thing as B&W fix, removes all the unexposed silver.

So any normal B&W film will come out blank because of the bleach step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I see - well thanks for the help guys - I'm in the US so no Gunn's for me ;)

I might just scan the negs and converted to b&w in photoshop (though my print would still be in colour :pac: )

• Advertisement
Advertisement