Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In light of the 'Old Skool' scrabble lately, I thought I'd ask...

• 05-02-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

...what would your taste in Old Skool be? Be you a patron of the dancefloor, or a spinner of the wheels of steel (or black plastic discs, whatever takes your fancy), the term 'old school' is loosely used for multiple genres of dance music from the late 80's upwards. However, in clubs (from experience with the wheels of steel), 'old school' normally relates to the techno, dance and trance of the mid to late nineties and turn of the noughties.

What would you play, or like to hear, as Old Skool?

Mind you, bearing in mind that (in my humble opinion) acid and funky house of today is just progressive trance of the 90's rebadged, and other transitional tastes, what used to be called trance back then is probably house music now, and hardcore back then is hardtrance now, and so on (too many variations). The 'classics' seem to be those that created their own samples (or barely used one from a song of old), were somewhat original, and despite working their way up from the underground and into 'mainstream' chart music, stood the test of time. People's opinions about what was good or not will undeniably vary. However, my core list of what I would consider decent Old Skool I play at gigs (and get a good bang from the crowd) include:

Southside Spinners - Luvstruck
    Artmesia - Bits & Pieces
    DJ Quicksilver - Planet Love
    Liquid Child - Diving Faces
    ATB - 9pm (Till I Come)
    Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400
    Andy Ling - Fixation
    DJ Sakin - For the Love of a Princess (Ayla Remix)
    Nalin & Kane - Beachball (Tall Paul Remix more so than the original)
    Rank 1 - Airwave
    William Orbit - Adagio For Strings
    DJ Balloon - Monster Sound
    Faithless - Insomnia
    Lightforce - The Riddle
    Da Hool - Meet her at the Love Parade
    Mauro Picotto - Komodo, Pulsar

A mix of house, stomping techno, and trance from the era. There are loads more too, but in an area of the country where it's lights up at 2am in the clubs, you don't get much time for a good long set once the R'n'B's and Pop's have been played. That should change this year.

Seanie.

Comments

Advertisement