Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service Letter to FF

Options
  • 05-02-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

I had to laugh.....
    Got this in my email from a friend who's a public service worker......
    She really sent it to the wrong person............

Dear Public Representative,

I have decided to E-mail you in relation to the decision of your Party Colleagues to impose a Pension Levy on all Public Sector workers. I am one such worker, yes I accept that everyone must bear some burden of the Economic Crisis which we currently face. However today's announcement has hit the PSW, as they are taking over 75% of the €2billion in cutbacks.

I accept that there are announcements of job losses and working cutbacks on a daily basis. However what about the people in the private sector with secure jobs, the High Earners and CEO's what burden do they face?

The Public Sector budget and Social Welfare budget are similar in size, what burden are the scroungers who have claimed Job Seekers Benefit for the last number of years taking?

On January 1st I began paying a 1% levy (included was income for December 2008) for bothering to get up and go to work each day. I should have taken the attitude of the scroungers mentioned above, I would probably have done better out of the Celtic Tiger. With my Job Seekers Benefit, Rent Allowance, Medical Card and Cash in Hand for working on the Black Market, I am sure I would now be sitting pretty, like the Fat Cat Builders who built my overpriced house. Which I have to spend a long time getting home to after a hard days work, thanks to the bad planning, as a result of corrupt Fianna Fail Party members.

The same people who now expect me to shoulder my share of the burden, so as the Greedy CEO's of our banks can be bailed out. What burden do these bankers face? Being pensioned off early, with big bonuses, similar to the package received by the former head of FAS Roddy Molloy.

I now have to shoulder the budren of a 7.5% levy for the privilage of having a secure job.

Where is the security in wondering how I am going to afford an extra €60 - €70 per week, on top of my large mortgage and other household costs?

Like most PSW I was quietly laughed at for going into the Public Sector, for wishing to have a secure pensionable job - whilst missing out on the good times and the huge bonuses!

Like a lot of other Teachers, Nurses and Gardai I also had a sense of vocation and believed I was doing something to make a difference to our Society. Yes I accept that there is a lot of wastage in the Public Sector. However I always worked to the best of my abilites, despite constantly having to work in difficult and under resourced situations.

I and a lot of colleagues will now work to the standard that we feel we are being paid to, that I am afraid is signifigantly less than what we provide already.

When the good times roll again for the Fat Cats in Building, Banking and Fianna Fail, it will be very difficult to get the PSW back to the level of work, care and attention that they previously showed to Pupils, Patients and members of Society.

Fiann Fail will no longer receive any votes from my household.

I really enjoyed the fact that our glorious Taoiseach undertook a 10% pay cut after the budget, and asked his colleagues to do likewise. I believe a total of 12 TD's and Senators follwed his example. I would expect that these Public Representatives have had a difficult Winter, surving on their expenses, that are probably on average double the average salary of PSW.

Shame on Your Party.

Angry PSW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's a letter drafed by an idiot.

Whether the idiot is actually employed in the public service is not easily ascertainable. I'm not saying that it is a malicious invention: with over 350,000 people in the public service, there are bound to be some idiots; I know some of them personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Like a lot of other Teachers, Nurses and Gardai I also had a sense of vocation and believed I was doing something to make a difference to our Society. Yes I accept that there is a lot of wastage in the Public Sector. However I always worked to the best of my abilites, despite constantly having to work in difficult and under resourced situations.

This is the bit that I had to laugh at. This same person was braggin to all and sundry that she was going for a job in the PS cos it's pi$$ easy and ye get loads of perks...........sense of vocation my ar$e

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

hamsterboy wrote: »
    This is the bit that I had to laugh at. This same person was braggin to all and sundry that she was going for a job in the PS cos it's pi$$ easy and ye get loads of perks...........sense of vocation my ar$e

Just be sure that you laugh at her, not at everybody. I know plenty of people in the public service who do take the idea of service seriously (as well as some who do not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

There's something a bit wrong about this thread. It's kind of immoral or something, well it feels that way, to post up someone's email behind their back then b!tching about it and getting others to join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

It's not behind anyones back.
    It was sent to her chain letter fashion, and she encouraged me to send it to as many people as possible to highlight their "plight".
    So I did :)

HB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

hamsterboy wrote: »
    It's not behind anyones back.
    It was sent to her chain letter fashion, and she encouraged me to send it to as many people as possible to highlight their "plight".
    So I did :)

HB

Fair 'nuff, just feels kinda wrong!

Advertisement