Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I wise ????

Options
  • 05-02-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hey all,

I'm not entirely sure if this is in the correct Forum, but here goes anyway....

I'm 26, and I graduated in Business 3 years ago. I am working in a computer firm, where I underwent a retraining program, and I'm now working as a software developer.

The Wages aren't great, but it is guaranteed full-time employement, and in the current financial times, I know that a good thing.
    I am at the point where I feel I need to move away from the area I'm in, as it doesn't really give me much opportunity for growth, so I have been thinking about heading back to University and doing a Masters in Business. As my thinking is when I would be graduating in Sept 2010, the current economic crisis will be starting to improve...

What do other's think, should I stick out my current job until the economy improves, or does anybody else think now is a good time to improve my educational prospects?

(P.S. another thought is since I don't have any qualifications in IT, my career prospects in IT are severely limited to my two years experience in the Languages/Platforms we use at work)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

dubhdara3 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm 26, and I graduated in Business 3 years ago. I am working in a computer firm, where I underwent a retraining program, and I'm now working as a software developer.

The Wages aren't great, but it is guaranteed full-time employement, and in the current financial times, I know that a good thing.
    I am at the point where I feel I need to move away from the area I'm in, as it doesn't really give me much opportunity for growth, so I have been thinking about heading back to University and doing a Masters in Business. As my thinking is when I would be graduating in Sept 2010, the current economic crisis will be starting to improve...

What do other's think, should I stick out my current job until the economy improves, or does anybody else think now is a good time to improve my educational prospects?

(P.S. another thought is since I don't have any qualifications in IT, my career prospects in IT are severely limited to my two years experience in the Languages/Platforms we use at work)

I would say that IT is one of the few careers where you would not be hindered by having a Business qualification, but yet have 2 years software development experience. Most places run training programs as neccessary to train employees in the necessary languages / platforms so it would not be an issue for you. I think you are in a great position to forge a career in IT, and with your business background, you will have more varied postions open to you i believe and much better chances at promotion. You could make roles such as project manager (and all the stress that entails) in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

dubhdara3 wrote: »
    Hey all,

What about something like a Masters in Business informatics. There are ocused streams business and IT graduates in DCU's program. It would build on all of your experience.

Advertisement